Sign in to follow this  
crosswind

Prepar3D

Fellow Colleagues, Is there anyone among you that are using Prepar3D, if so how have you found the NGX's performance with it. It my understanding that Lockheed is steadily working on updates to better Prepar3D's in game performance. I am thinking on taking the plunge, not sure if I am going to fork up $400+ or do the monthly subscription deal.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Prepar3d is basically FSX, Lockheed bought the IP rights to the code from Microsoft. Lockheed are not allowed to sell it to consumers tho, so the asking price is really high. Its basically exactly the same as FSX, except that it costs 10x the amount of money. And that Lockheed is developing it (I think they added some sort of submarine logic, not sure if they have added anything for flightsimmers yet)

Has anyone actually "TRIED" the PMDG 737NGX in P3D. I suspect the 737's gauge will not register, and even if it does, it will not initialize, due to different Simconnect versions. It is also highly unlikely that PMDG would allow its $70 FSX version, to be used in a P3D Commercial Sim, using the same FSX orientated licenseing.

Prepar3d is basically FSX, Lockheed bought the IP rights to the code from Microsoft. Lockheed are not allowed to sell it to consumers tho, so the asking price is really high. Its basically exactly the same as FSX, except that it costs 10x the amount of money. And that Lockheed is developing it (I think they added some sort of submarine logic, not sure if they have added anything for flightsimmers yet)
Hi, Just to be clear (and trying not to sound defensive!). Anyone can purchase Prepar3D. We do not sell it as an entertainment product and the EULA talks about that, which means that it will not be appearing on the shelves of Best Buy next to Call of Duty any time soon..... I am not sure where the rumour started that we sell only to certain people, but anyone can buy it. It isn't about consumers, but end-use. If you are a pilot, simulation user, student, whatever and want to use it for familiarization, training, taxiing over bugs then go for it. If you are 10 or 110 it doesn't matter. If you want to use it at an arcade game, then buy something else. You can go to our website and purchase it with a credit card and download it. The commercial license version is $499 and we have added a considerable amount of features and made a lot of bug fixes to the code that we were fortunate enough to procure from Microsoft. A list of features can be found on our website at www.prepar3D.com. We certainly have added in bathymetry data to allow the use of submersibles and we have added in a few features for hard-core users that they should find interesting including true multi-channel (spreads the load of the image generator across multiple PCs), update to DirectInput 8 to allow up to 32 axes and 128 buttons per joystick, sensor views (night vision and infra-red), updated landclasses, GPS upgrades and so on. We have also updated and improved the SDK documentation and added more samples for developers. We are also going to be releasing an update version 1.2 of Prepar3D and the SDK in the next few weeks. Those that are looking to test, integrate, develop, investigate etc and therefore do not require a full commercial license can subscribe for $9.95 per month and receive 2 copies of the software. That is an option that many people are taking and I would be glad to see more people come on board and see what they can do with the app! There are no restrictions to joining the developer network. If people are using Prepar3D for commercial activities, then switching to the commercial license is appropriate and required. For Victor, sorry that the website isn't clear enough. I will work with Lockheed communications to try to get some clarity on that. We are just a bunch of engineers and not necessarily the best at marketing!! Regards,John NicolPrepar3D.

Wow...interested in this myself. It might be worth trying for 9.99 a month. Ah just found this on the website "Note that development licenses are for internal development use only. Deployed systems will require a full commercial license." - That would be the 9.99 per month issue

Ian R Tyldesley

Maybe PMDG can give a definitive statement about the use of the PMDG 737NGX with P3D, both when used with the development License, and when used with the full Commercial license. ( I suspect it will not install or initialize in any case, unless one gets a Commercial Licensed version ?? )

Most FSX addons will work with PP3D and those that do not need to be tweaked for prepar3d by the developer of the product.

I will chime in the best I can. As we have been looking at developing on Prepar3d (for commercial customers obviously).. It is not for dev's or commercial only. You can purchase it and use it the same way you use FSX. A customer of our tried importing our A-109 (co-developed with the Nemeth's) into Prepar3d but it did not work. The flight modeling code is a lot more advanced that what you see in FSX. I can not speak for aircraft, but I have been looking at the helicopter side and there are a lot of parameters that it looks at to generate a flight model. I also venture from our customers attempted import of the A-109 into Prepar3d that the texture/modeling structure may be slightly different as well. Cause they said it did not even show up in the menu. These are just my thoughts from what I know of the code. I hope we do start developing on it, as I would like to explore it. Seems like Lockheed did a really good job fixing it. Plus the screenshots look pretty nice as well.

Hi, Just to be clear (and trying not to sound defensive!). Anyone can purchase Prepar3D. We do not sell it as an entertainment product and the EULA talks about that, which means that it will not be appearing on the shelves of Best Buy next to Call of Duty any time soon..... I am not sure where the rumour started that we sell only to certain people, but anyone can buy it. It isn't about consumers, but end-use. If you are a pilot, simulation user, student, whatever and want to use it for familiarization, training, taxiing over bugs then go for it. If you are 10 or 110 it doesn't matter. If you want to use it at an arcade game, then buy something else. You can go to our website and purchase it with a credit card and download it. The commercial license version is $499 and we have added a considerable amount of features and made a lot of bug fixes to the code that we were fortunate enough to procure from Microsoft. A list of features can be found on our website at www.prepar3D.com. We certainly have added in bathymetry data to allow the use of submersibles and we have added in a few features for hard-core users that they should find interesting including true multi-channel (spreads the load of the image generator across multiple PCs), update to DirectInput 8 to allow up to 32 axes and 128 buttons per joystick, sensor views (night vision and infra-red), updated landclasses, GPS upgrades and so on. We have also updated and improved the SDK documentation and added more samples for developers. We are also going to be releasing an update version 1.2 of Prepar3D and the SDK in the next few weeks. Those that are looking to test, integrate, develop, investigate etc and therefore do not require a full commercial license can subscribe for $9.95 per month and receive 2 copies of the software. That is an option that many people are taking and I would be glad to see more people come on board and see what they can do with the app! There are no restrictions to joining the developer network. If people are using Prepar3D for commercial activities, then switching to the commercial license is appropriate and required. For Victor, sorry that the website isn't clear enough. I will work with Lockheed communications to try to get some clarity on that. We are just a bunch of engineers and not necessarily the best at marketing!! Regards,John NicolPrepar3D.
John, Thank you you very much for clarifying this. I am in the process of having a University which I do some consultancy work for purchase a copy of Prerpar3D as the backbone for supplemental training aids to work along side our G-1000 simulator. I too am interested in the $9.95 version, but as some are curious will all of my ad-dons work without further intervention from the developer (who may not be willing to offer support since it is not the "exact" platform).

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I will chime in the best I can. As we have been looking at developing on Prepar3d (for commercial customers obviously).. It is not for dev's or commercial only. You can purchase it and use it the same way you use FSX. A customer of our tried importing our A-109 (co-developed with the Nemeth's) into Prepar3d but it did not work.
Hi Steve, That is strange. It should work. We didn't do anything to the model structure. You could test by installing into FSX and copying the SimObject directory for the model straight over into Prepar3D and it should appear. I am happy to test it out myself if you want. Why don't you head over to the Prepar3D website and PM me. I am also in regular contact with Ryan (at Nemeth) if you want to get him to send me a note. I have successfully loaded up the Nemeth Skycrane and the EC-135 with no issues. John

Maybe PMDG can give a definitive statement about the use of the PMDG 737NGX with P3D, both when used with the development License, and when used with the full Commercial license. ( I suspect it will not install or initialize in any case, unless one gets a Commercial Licensed version ?? )
I honestly have no idea if it works or not, none of us here have Prepar3D licenses.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Out of curiosity, I copied the 737 over to the P3D directory, etc etc, I was wrong -- Yes, it does "RUN" but there are quite a few "issues". It probably has potential to run in P3D, if those issues were addressed by PMDG at some later date.However, because of those issues, and potential licencing issues, I have deleted it from the P3D directories. Others may have more Success -- I'll just be happy to have it running without issues in FSX

Hi John, There are a lot of others issues like scenary, weather and others that we would like to know how them work into prepar3d!Why not a shareware copy? Free for 30 days or more since we will be beta testers for use in a flight simulation environment. It looks like fantastic but.....