Sign in to follow this  
Cristi_Neagu

Hardware throttle position

Hi. As many of us here, I've been using the option that let's you see the position of your throttles relative to the ones in the sim while autothrottle commands them. I've noticed that when the autothrottle is in ARM mode, the blue arcs are not displayed. While this seems normal, since in the real thing the pilots can freely move the throttles while in this mode, the blue arc should always appear. So.. any thoughts on this?

Cristi Neagu

Bump?
just a wild guess here ..... but have you perhaps set this option to 'only when moving' ?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

just a wild guess here ..... but have you perhaps set this option to 'only when moving' ?
Thanks for the reply.Good thinking, but no banana. No. It is set to always, or whatever it's called. The blue line is always there, except when the AT goes to ARM.

Cristi Neagu

I've been wanting to ask this question: Which color represents the hardware throttle? From Nick's video, I got the impression it was the blue color, while the white color is the real thing (as in real 737NG)? But I see the white arc when I move my throttle, if the A/T is working, I also see it in arm mode when I'm actually controlling the speed ( before TO/GA on the runway, for instance). Also, when I set the option on 'always' I only see the blue, and when I move the throttles it really doesn't show my position or maybe I'm reading something wrong. Could someone please explain the whole thing to me? Thanks in advance.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

I've been wanting to ask this question: Which color represents the hardware throttle? From Nick's video, I got the impression it was the blue color, while the white color is the real thing (as in real 737NG)? But I see the white arc when I move my throttle, if the A/T is working, I also see it in arm mode when I'm actually controlling the speed ( before TO/GA on the runway, for instance). Also, when I set the option on 'always' I only see the blue, and when I move the throttles it really doesn't show my position or maybe I'm reading something wrong. Could someone please explain the whole thing to me? Thanks in advance.
The white pie zone represents the actual engine power. The white arc represents the commanded engine power (as in where the throttles are), and the blue arc represents the position of your hardware throttles. This option is not on by default. You need to enable it to have the blue arc display the position of your throttles.

Cristi Neagu

The white pie zone represents the actual engine power. The white arc represents the commanded engine power (as in where the throttles are), and the blue arc represents the position of your hardware throttles. This option is not on by default. You need to enable it to have the blue arc display the position of your throttles.
How and where do I do that? I see that in the PMDG Setup/Options/Simulations/Page 2/2, there is a 'show thrust lever position' option, which I thought was were you set it, but when I choose the option 'when moving, I only see the white arc, and when I choose 'yes' I see both blue and white, but blue is stuck at 70%, and when I choose 'no', I still see the white one, no blue. Is there any other place where I have to enable it? Thanks for your trouble

Chidiebere Anyahara

How and where do I do that? I see that in the PMDG Setup/Options/Simulations/Page 2/2, there is a 'show thrust lever position' option, which I thought was were you set it, but when I choose the option 'when moving, I only see the white arc, and when I choose 'yes' I see both blue and white, but blue is stuck at 70%, and when I choose 'no', I still see the white one, no blue. Is there any other place where I have to enable it? Thanks for your trouble
If you choose the option "When moving", in order to see the blue arc you need to move you hardware throttles. When you choose "No", you are supposed to see only the white arc. That is a feature of the actual plane.As for the blue arc stuck at 70%... have you tried moving your hardware throttles? If you move your throttles and it doesn't move, then you have a slight problem.

Cristi Neagu

When I move my throttle, the only thing that moves is the white arc. When I select 'YES', the blue are is present, but never moves (I just noticed that it gets stuck not just at 70%, but it could be anywhere 50%, 40%, etc) the white arc just moves within and past it, regardless of my AT option. When I choose the 'NEVER' option in the A/T intervention, my throttle still affects the speed for a second when I move it. The speed reverts to the A/T commanded speed, but I thought it should not affect it at all when I choose 'NEVER'

Chidiebere Anyahara

When I move my throttle, the only thing that moves is the white arc. When I select 'YES', the blue are is present, but never moves (I just noticed that it gets stuck not just at 70%, but it could be anywhere 50%, 40%, etc) the white arc just moves within and past it, regardless of my AT option. When I choose the 'NEVER' option in the A/T intervention, my throttle still affects the speed for a second when I move it. The speed reverts to the A/T commanded speed, but I thought it should not affect it at all when I choose 'NEVER'
The blue arc moves with your hardware throttles, the ones you have your hands on, the same ones that sit on your desk. The white ark moves with the sim's throttles, the ones that are inside the NGX. To see the blue arc move you MUST move the hardware throttles, the ones on your desk.As for the throttle intervention, if you have your throttle set up with FSUIPC, that might cause the problem.

Cristi Neagu

Not really the way it works. Your throttles speak directly to FSX. The PMDG autothrottle is working outside of FSX and overriding commands. Therefore, whenever you move the throttles, PMDG has to correct the input that FSX is seeing. The reason for the delay is spool time simulated in the NGX. If you watch the throttles in flight while in a throttle controlled AP mode, you can see the PMDG software in action setting virtual throttle positions which are mirrored in the position of the throttles in the cockpit.

Ok I think I found the problem. FSUIPC calibration. It works when I disable the calibration, but I lose the 'reverse' side of my throttle, and that makes me have to assign a key for that, instead of just pulling back the throttle. Tough decision

Chidiebere Anyahara

Not really the way it works. Your throttles speak directly to FSX. The PMDG autothrottle is working outside of FSX and overriding commands. Therefore, whenever you move the throttles, PMDG has to correct the input that FSX is seeing. The reason for the delay is spool time simulated in the NGX. If you watch the throttles in flight while in a throttle controlled AP mode, you can see the PMDG software in action setting virtual throttle positions which are mirrored in the position of the throttles in the cockpit.
I've never experienced this behavior. If it is indeed working like this, mine reacts too fast to see any change in throttle position or in commanded power. And, as Chidiebere confirmed, it is a FSUIPC issue. PMDG did warn about not using it.

Cristi Neagu