Sign in to follow this  
VirginAus737

Ivy Bridge chipsets to ditch PCI slot

I did in 2011 before getting rid of my AMD6000 system... I used an X-FI sound card.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yup, PCI Wireless card in mine

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

PCI TV card!

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E

CPU: I7 920 @ 4405.1MHz as of 30/06/2011

RAM: Corsair 6Gb

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50

PSU: Corsair HX850w

SSD OS: Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300 SSD

SSD FSX: Crucial 256GB RealSSD C300 SSD

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Video Card: Gainward GTX 470

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar D2X

And:

Case: Corsair 600T

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

CPU: I5 2500K @ 4600MHz

RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100

PSU: Antec Truepower 650

SSD OS: Crucial 128GB RealSSD C300 SSD

SSD FSX: Crucial 256GB RealSSD M225 SSD

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Video Card: 1536MB MSI GTX 580 Twin FrozR II/OC

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium

Oh, seems a few do use it. I am really a person who puts the bare essentials in the system. a TV is for watching IMO, not the PC. What are we all going to do now!

Almost everything has become onboard like the sound card / network card, but people do buy a high end sound card , so it should be sometime before the PCI goes out and I still use a Creative SB live :) just can't compromise on that sound quality.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

To get the best out of a sound card, you have to have the best sound system. I am very happy with my $60 Logitech speakers and sub. just plugged into the front cos the back port doesn't work. Maybe I forgot to install that driver.

To get the best out of a sound card, you have to have the best sound system. I am very happy with my $60 Logitech speakers and sub. just plugged into the front cos the back port doesn't work. Maybe I forgot to install that driver.
In no way logitech's are the best the only thing they have is more bass and power , but you want quality and clarity on your computer than I would go any day with the Altec Lansing's and I have two of them atm and earlier it was the MX5021 (but I broke the drivers sad.png ) you cannot beat that system in computer speakers. But again it is all on the person as to what sound he wants to listen to, like for games you need something a bit powerful probably, for music good clarity/bass and movies a good woofer to drive the LFE. What do you mean the back port does not work ? the back port is on the motherboard itself.

Well the back port just doesn't work. Can't hear anything. Plug it in the front, do the same thing, and it all works.

Well the back port just doesn't work. Can't hear anything. Plug it in the front, do the same thing, and it all works.
Do you mean the three holes at the back the Blue / Green / Pink ?

Well as the title suggests, it could be the end for the old PCI slot at the time of IB. Here is where I found it.http://www.guru3d.co...ssors-surfaces/Not a real shame. Please post if anyone actually uses a PCI card in their system.
I use not only one, but two... both soundcards.

I use not only one, but two... both soundcards.
Why do you need two?So it seems many of us do use these and I was wrong (not uncommon). I thought these hardware manufacturers would be making the switch, PCI was introduced in 1993 i think. Would it be because they don't want to waste a PCIe slot.

Why do you need two? So it seems many of us do use these and I was wrong (not uncommon). I thought these hardware manufacturers would be making the switch, PCI was introduced in 1993 i think. Would it be because they don't want to waste a PCIe slot.
One is Pro-Audio card, another is general windows/gaming. I have an analog mixer going to a very high quality audio setup, all connected analog through XLR. Going digital at this point would be very cost-intensive for the reason of ditching one PCI card and using one analog only. Especially concerning that there would be no hearable difference between digital and analog connection. I like having two soundcards to be able to easily (on the hardware mixer) change the levels of both sources. Music/Audiotech is on pro-audio (Audiophile), and rest incl. stuff like DVDs, games is on the 2nd fader... I can easily set it up any second in any game without going into windows. Means a world to me.