Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Fullscreen or Window and Heavy Multi-tasker or not?

Fullscreen or Window?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you run FSX in Fullscreen or in a Window?

• I run FSX in Fullscreen
    • I run FSX in a Window
  2. 2. Do you Multi-task heavily during your Flight?

• Yes - I have other addons that require me to alt-tab to Desktop
    • Yes - But I run FSX in a Window
    • No - I stay in FSX for most of the Flight

Just curious to see what the results are to this poll. I did notice a lot of people who were complaining about issues with the NGX were talking about alt-tab out to windows. I have never found Full Screen to be very stable especially when you are multi-tasking heavily like me during a flight. (Vatspy - FS Commander - Charts - Web Broswer etc). Yes I know your FPS will be slightly better in Fullscreen Mode. But after so many alt-tabs back to desktop if FSX starts being finicky sometimes it won't even go back after awhile or you can't get back into FSX. In addition to that everytime I have FSINN interface loaded for VATSIM it kills the Anti-aliasing. The only way I know around this is to either 1) Run FSINN outside of FSX, (won't work for me beause I am deaf and wouldn't hear the chimes when ATC was texting me). Or you could run it like I do in Windows mode with the screen fully sized to your monitor, then hold the alt button to make the menu go away at the top and only thing showing is the top window bar provided you have your taskbar settings set right and then you won't see that either.

With regards to Alt-Tab stability. In the past, I've had many stability problems using Alt-Tab with FS9 and FSX. Because of that, I've always switched to Windowed mode (using the menu or Alt-Enter) before switching to a window in another task. And, since doing that, I've never had any sort of stability issue.

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

I generally get FSX/NGX launched full-screen, then go windowed while using FSBuild to put together whatever FP FSCaptain throws my direction. Once I finish my plan and save it, FSX goes back to full screen and stays there for the majority of the flight unless I need to change something in EZDock. ASE and EFB run on another laptop, further reducing any need to go back to windowed mode. The FSX machine does nothing but FSX...no internet surfing or other memory consuming functions during the flight... Performance-wise, I used to find windowed mode faster; however, things have pretty much evened out between both modes...probably a result of all the tuning I've done since getting NGX.

Yup... ALT-Enter is the way to go. I get all sorts of strange behavior with ALT-Tab. The only time i had any kind of problem with ALT-Enter was when i used ENBSeries. The first flight with it got a fatal error. Needless to say, it's gone from my computer, even tough it did make the lighting more realistic.

Cristi Neagu

Not running fullscreen and having to regularly ALT-TAB out of FSX for some addon is a no-go for me. Kills all the immersion.

Dave P. Woycek

I am fortunate to have one of my old computers run add-ons over a network. That way I have programs like FS Commander and Active X showing on different screens

A day without laughter, is a day without living.

Are you kidding!? I'm running top of the line hardware overclocked closer to its limits than away, and something always screws 20% of the time I alt -tab with the NGX. Only that plane though. Hopefully they fix some of that up in the service pack - I prefer to keep a full screen anyway and use an accessory such as an ipad to keep busy. More realistic.

hello if you let the737ngx spin in the window before start to fly and drop it down to the task bar when you click it up again after a while it is a skeleton? why is that, no other aircraft are...james

Yup... ALT-Enter is the way to go. I get all sorts of strange behavior with ALT-Tab. The only time i had any kind of problem with ALT-Enter was when i used ENBSeries. The first flight with it got a fatal error. Needless to say, it's gone from my computer, even tough it did make the lighting more realistic.
Same here. I love the ENBseries, but I had to remove it because of this. running FSX in windowed kills the immersion for me too. I'm also a multitasker. I fly the long six-hour flights most of the time, so when I've crossed all restrictions, and am on my way to T/C, I switch to windowed and watch a movie or browse the forums, etc., just checking it from time to time until T/D, when it goes back to full screen (alt + enter).

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

The first flight with it got a fatal error. Needless to say, it's gone from my computer, even tough it did make the lighting more realistic.
I could never live without the ENB Mod now that I have seen what it does for FSX. Never had a problem with it even with the NGX but then again I run FSX in a window.

I just use windowed, it's more convenient for me. The window frame is easily ignored/not noticed after you've used it for a while.

If some of you Alt+Tabing and have issues, try going to menu, click on "Full Screen" to go to window mode. Sometimes I may go into window mode to check something, or when testing etc, and always use the menu, not a keyboard short cut.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Options missing from the list.... Stay in full screen but run numerous other addons on client PC & screen.

Options missing from the list.... Stay in full screen but run numerous other addons on client PC & screen.
Yeah but I think the point is task switching AKA "alt-tabbing out".

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules