Sign in to follow this  
rgbinns

Now I am ENJOYING FSX

I finally finished building my first ever computer with all brand new parts except for the video card. (see specs below). It is mainly only for the PMDG 737NGX. The first big suprise was how well the jolly ole GTX460 card has performed. I had intended to get a GTX570 at Christmas but after seeing what the 460 can do may be I will save the money instead!?. I have loaded up Orbx AU Blue, Green and Gold with YMML, YBBN and YSCB, REX for clouds, Active Sky Evolution and I use Plan-G along with Ezdok Camera. Although I have Load Limiter I am not using it. In FSX I have all sliders to the right except for the following: Water @ High x 2, Airline density @ 65, General aviation @ 0, Airport vehicle density @ Meduim, Road traffic @ 30, Ships and ferries @ 40 and leisure boats @ 30. I am using two monitors @ 1920 x 1200 x 32 and I used *******' auto thingie to work its magic on my FSX.cfg file and I have overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.5Ghz. Oh and I use Nvidia Inspector. Well what can I say about the performance other than its astonishing. I never dreamt that I would see FSX so fluid.The first remarkable event was the smooth as silk take-off run from YMML using PMDG 737 NGX. I mean SMOOOOOOOOOTH, what a breathtaking suprise. And with FPS between 17 and 25 @ YMML in the VC, WOW!!!. In flight at 25000' I am getting 30 and 52 fps in VC and outside 48 to 70 while the Vcore is between 1.32v and 1.48v and the CPU temp between 38C and 47C. I did have it OC'ed to 4.8 but the cpu was getting up into high 50's not to mention the Vcore @ 1.59 so I bumped it back to what I have now and to be honest I do not see any difference other than the hardware is much cooler. Its the first time I have been able to use REX Overdrive with the HD textures - my old Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'ed to at 4.0 Ghz just could not cope. Now I am able to marvel at those beautiful clouds as they pass by along with everything else. And of course the PMDG NGX 737 - what a work of art - performed really well and now I look forward to the upcoming AoA video tutorials to really get to grips with flying this lovely craft. Gosh, we have come along way with flight simulation since I started 30 odd years ago. Now I am ENJOYING FSX and all that third party developers can offer. regardsRichard

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

Funny this chap because today I just upgraded from an E8400 to the setup in my sig today. The difference is beyond what I imagined. I have been waiting for what I have seen today in fs for the last 16 years. I have not overclocked my chip yet though. I hope to finish installing all my add ons tomorrow and then see what I can achieve with it after that but to see all settings max with UT 100% made me feel like a child again. Still need a new graphics card but until I have the money the rig seems to be running like a charm. The E8400 was a good servant and I will continue to use it as a slave to fs on another pc. I was always impressed with what I could get out of it but I was always tweaking. With this chip though, Well there is no comparing them. Enjoy fella. I know I am going to. The mrs is hating me already.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

If you are using Windows 7 64x, make sure that your FSX installation is not in Programs(86), but in either C:\ or a separate hard drive. This will make a world of difference. It made an amazing difference for me.

Vcore is between 1.32v and 1.48v and the CPU temp between 38C and 47C. I did have it OC'ed to 4.8 but the cpu was getting up into high 50's not to mention the Vcore @ 1.59 so I bumped it back to what I have now and to be honest I do
1,48V is way too much for a 2500K man, let alone 1.59!!!

1,48V is way too much for a 2500K man, let alone 1.59!!!
Sounds like he's using auto vcore. Setting it manually to 1.35 should be enough for 4.4-4.7 range

Sounds like he's using auto vcore. Setting it manually to 1.35 should be enough for 4.4-4.7 range
+ 1.. go for manual overclocking with offset voltages.. I have settled at 1.345 with 4.6 GHZ 24/7 stable..

If you are using Windows 7 64x, make sure that your FSX installation is not in Programs(86), but in either C:\ or a separate hard drive. This will make a world of difference. It made an amazing difference for me.
Can anyone confirm this? Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

I had to reload fsx on c: drive confirmed, much better - stable now, good luck with you reinstall but worth it.

Rich Sennett

Whoooooo if your temps are rising than you had better step back on the voltage. Should check your CPU Cooler / Cabinet fans too. I can put my Athlon to 1.6 v and pull to 4.01 Ghz at 24 degrees idle and 53 degrees full load and I am using the Cooler Master Hyper Tx3. If your voltage is on AUTO then it will pull more voltage.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Can anyone confirm this? Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck
From what I read, FSX was made long before Windows 7 so there are many processes that FSX will do, that Windows 7 will interpret as harmful and since Programs(86) is a protected folder, even with UAC turned off and FSX running as Administrator, Windows 7 will block these "questionable" actions from FSX in its protected Programs(86) folder.

FSXman could probably be right about the native x86 folder , I have it on a separate disk it is under program files (x86) and till date win 7 has not blocked it.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I have loaded up Orbx AU Blue, Green and Gold with YMML, YBBN and YSCB, REX for clouds, Active Sky Evolution and I use Plan-G along with Ezdok Camera.
I'm pretty much the same, tho with a i7-2600k. Be interested how you find the ORBX YBBN. I have no problems with YMML, but landing in YBBN the frame rates drop a fair bit and half the buildings disappear..... Happy to hear you're enjoying FSX.......

I have an I7 2600K also and had to set minimum settings for OrbX YMML and OrbX YBBN as ther performance was not acceptable, pretty good now though im loving it get around 15-20 frames at those airports but smooth, I also have FSX installed in program files (X86) and no issues what so ever for me so I cant say I agree with the comments about moving it

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Yes I have FSX on the Raptor drive all by itself. It is running well but it seems I have things to do in the Bios to reduce voltage. To be honest I am all at sea with this part of setting up a computer. May be I shall just drop back to 4.3 OC AND SEE HOW THINGS GO.

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB