Sign in to follow this  
Gem

The Big Monster FPS has finally been K.O. by Sandy Bridge

So I responded to a FPS performance issue before the release of the NGX. I was one that said "there is no way I am building another PC if there is going to be problems with bad FPS. After all here was my old rig specs:i7950STOCK COOLERX58 3X SLI MOBOCORSAIR 6 DDR3MEMVELOCIRAPTOR 600HD 10KRPMEVGA GTX 470REX2WINDOWS 7 64ORBX SCENERY - YMML -BRING FSX TO ITS KNEES WITH FPS AT 9 TO 15. FORGET ABOUT USING FULL MAXIMUM SCENERY HERE.FSDREAMTEAM - JFK AIRPORT - HEAVY ON FPS So forget about it. I am not upgrading period.Then NGX gets released. Although I thought to have a good system with the i7 950, I did not overclock because I did not want to deal with temperature to hot, voltage issues and the trial and error just seem too complicated and did not want to damage the CPU. But wow, what an incredible aircraft. Seem to be almost 3d on my system.Then next morning I walk into CompUSA getting ready to build a new PC after much research.My new system:I5- 2500K Sandy BridgeH60 CORSAIR COOLERKINGSTON DDR3 8 MEMASUS P8 Z68 V-PRO MOBOEVGA GTX 470VELOCIRAPTOR 600HD 10KRPM DEDICATED FOR FSX ONLYREX2WINDOWS 7 64 I saw these video about on ASUS motherboards and overclocking:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBN-cBPs98&list=FL82VqJ5U4UysSFGWDOpYzLw&index=18http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40&feature=BFa&list=FL82VqJ5U4UysSFGWDOpYzLw New to overclocking the easy way with the ASUS mobo, I am running 49C temp at 4.5ghz and very stable for 24 hours on end. FPS at YMML 25 TO 35 with all sliders to the right with the exception of air traffic which I have the slider set to 38, boats and cars which I don't care much set to 15. I sold my old system on Ebay. Man, am I glad I did. Thanks PMDG for building the new PMDG 737NGX. How about you?

Wow.All that power and all you're getting is 25-30 FPS?I get that with the system in my signature. *edit*I don't have any car/boat traffic on but I have commercial traffic on 90% and all the graphics sliders are set to max except for autogen which is one step below max

Wow.All that power and all you're getting is 25-30 FPS?I get that with the system in my signature. *edit*I don't have any car/boat traffic on but I have commercial traffic on 90% and all the graphics sliders are set to max except for autogen which is one step below max
I came from a system like yours (i7 960 GTX460 [faster than your 465]). I don't regret upgrading a bit. What I have now is considerably more head room during heavy scenarios than the old system.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

We are talking about a badly coded simulation platform here guys which is nearly 6 years oldand only supports shader 2. It also uses the same 4 gig memory limit as your graphics card(512Mb)and OS if not in 64 bit. I am getting 20-30 FPS with an old Duo Core 2.3 ghz and a 8800GT nvidia card.I am running Win 7 32 bit with 3 gigs of ram and have has no problems of any kind. No OOM, Freezes, CTD's..................nothing. I will think about a much higher spec if MS Flight is a 64 bit app and is any good.
My upgrade path went like this:E8400Q9450 (for a short period)i7 960i7 2600k (sold for twice what I gave for it)i5 2500k Of all the processors the 2500k was the cheapest, yet obviously it has given the best performance across all FS platforms. Poor coding or not, there's a lot to be said in three architecture changes and that many more die shrinks (coming up on an Intel "tick" aren't we?). Also, if you haven't gathered, PCs are one of my favorite hobbies. Nerd.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Zach,Why did you move"back" to the i5 2500k from the i7 2600k?Regards

Geoff Bryce

Zach,Why did you move"back" to the i5 2500k from the i7 2600k?Regards
Because a friend wanted an upgrade. I got the 2600k for a steal, but sold it for much, much more.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Because a friend wanted an upgrade. I got the 2600k for a steal, but sold it for much, much more.
You have a nice system. I too got the I5 2500K because most of the pilots in the forum were reporting better results. I was able to save $100 extra and used it for the Corsair H60 cooler which I still cant believe it maintains my cpu at 48c to 49c running 24/7. The coolest thing yet so far, is that Asus board which overclocks the CPU at 4.5 (I have it set at) only when running the FSX or any program that needs it. When I exit the sim, it drop back to 2ghz. Thats Awesome! As far as the "Tin Pusher" who responded first to this topic "all that power and only 25 to 30FPS. Well, correct me if I am wrong, maybe there is another scenery out there that will make ORBX YMML at full max look like the graphics in the first Microsoft Simulator. But I think running at 25 to 35FPS at YMML max out is super good. I mean, I am flying the approach to to YMML and no glitch, all smooth to touchdown. When I take off my sim FPS just to 100plus. If there is a difference in 30FPS TO 50FPS while approaching the runway then I cannot see it and will have to get my eyes check out. In the meantime, Clear for Take off, Regards.

Damm, I forgot to mention my traffic setting at 38 that I am runnnig TRAFFIC X. Although I have it set at 38, I have too much traffic on the runway and in the air Cheers all.

We are talking about a badly coded simulation platform here guys which is nearly 6 years oldand only supports shader 2. It also uses the same 4 gig memory limit as your graphics card.and OS if not in 64 bit. I am getting 20-30 FPS with an old Duo Core 2.3 ghz and a 8800GT nvidia card. (512 Mb)I am running Win 7 32 bit with 3 gigs of ram and have has no problems of any kind. No OOM, Freezes, CTD's..................nothing. I will think about a much higher spec if MS Flight is a 64 bit app and is any good.
Hi Jason, Please, what settings do you use ? I have too an old config... Thanks in advance Regards, Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

You lucky guys. I bought an i5 2500K, GTX580 and 8 Gb CL8 ram and around addon airports I am happy if can keep it at 30 fps. When I am flying the 737NGX usually fps drops to low 20's while landing, even at default (big) airports in PNW. And that's NOT with all sliders to the right: traffic is low (only airliners at 25%, the rest is off, no cars etc), cloud distance is low, flare is off, and in order to keep fps above 20 while landing autogen is at dense, mesh, water and another settings is set lower too, etc. etc. And ALL the time I have very frequent microstutters (due to vsync)... So congrats to all who bought a new system and are happy with it, but FSX is a weird and unpredictable animal... Although I have to say I am enjoying flying around, I regret spending so much money on almost no progress at all... (And I tried all the tweaks in the book and am done tweaking so I will stay with what I have, so no need for advice here. happy.png I just want to make clear SandyBridge isn't the 100% sure magic bullet either.)

You lucky guys. I bought an i5 2500K, GTX580 and 8 Gb CL8 ram and around addon airports I am happy if can keep it at 30 fps. When I am flying the 737NGX usually fps drops to low 20's while landing, even at default (big) airports in PNW. And that's NOT with all sliders to the right: traffic is low (only airliners at 25%, the rest is off, no cars etc), cloud distance is low, flare is off, and in order to keep fps above 20 while landing autogen is at dense, mesh, water and another settings is set lower too, etc. etc. And ALL the time I have very frequent microstutters (due to vsync)... So congrats to all who bought a new system and are happy with it, but FSX is a weird and unpredictable animal... Although I have to say I am enjoying flying around, I regret spending so much money on almost no progress at all... (And I tried all the tweaks in the book and am done tweaking so I will stay with what I have, so no need for advice here. happy.png I just want to make clear SandyBridge isn't the 100% sure magic bullet either.)
Turn off vSync then, it's a HUGE fps killer.

If he would have taken the time to overclock his I7 he wouldn't have had to upgrade. I'm running an I7-920 at 4.3 Ghz rock solid stable, no stutters and good FPS and average a CTD about once every 100 flights. Ben

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

If he would have taken the time to overclock his I7 he wouldn't have had to upgrade. I'm running an I7-920 at 4.3 Ghz rock solid stable, no stutters and good FPS and average a CTD about once every 100 flights. Ben
So am I.I don't think there's much benefit upgrading my I7-920 @ 4,2 Ghz with a sandy bridge oc'd to 4,8 GHz. Another aspect are different IQ settings.Activating 4x SGSS i.e. there will be a huge framedrop in heavy weather if you are not on a top notch GPU.

So am I.I don't think there's much benefit upgrading my I7-920 @ 4,2 Ghz with a sandy bridge oc'd to 4,8 GHz. Another aspect are different IQ settings.Activating 4x SGSS i.e. there will be a huge framedrop in heavy weather if you are not on a top notch GPU.
For the price, you'd be surprised... I know I was.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules