Sign in to follow this  
litgeorge

Jumping to the Sandy Bridge wagon, advice requested

Hello Captains, I am finallý upgrading my system to a Sandy Bridge based setup. I had the following items in mind: CPU: i5 2500KMOBO: Asus P8P67 PRO B3RAM: Mushkin 8 GB DDR3-2133 Kit 996996 RedLine SerieHeatsink: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B with 2 x Coolermaster Blademaster 120mm fan This will go in an Antec P183 case, with an Asus GeForce GTX470 graphics card. Any recomendations? Should I go for a Z68 board, or an i7 2600K? I don't mind paying extra cash if I can get appreciable performance, but I don't like spending money for a marginal performance increase. This rig will run FSX and (almost) nothing more. Thanks in advance, Jorge EDIT: Of course I intend to overclock it as much as I can.

No on the case and card. Get a newer card (570 for example). They are more efficient, run cooler and faster. That case....trash. Terrible choice for an OC system. You need something more like a Antec 902, CM HAF X etc

No on the case and card. Get a newer card (570 for example). They are more efficient, run cooler and faster. That case....trash. Terrible choice for an OC system. You need something more like a Antec 902, CM HAF X etc
That case trash? wowIt's a great case George, and the GTX470 is good too, if you already have it, no point in replacing it EDIT: and the rest of the parts look good

Looks solid to me, Jorge!

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I can't make out the purpose for those openings on the front of that case. Are they purely aesthetic or functional in some way? That separate chambers idea is pretty cool. Is there any concern with heat buildup in the PSU section of the metal "roof/floor" above it?

Edward Smoker Sr.

Some would say that FSX responds to the extra cache of the 2600k. If I had the cash, (pun intended) I would resolve the debate and buy one (2600k).

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Some would say that FSX responds to the extra cache of the 2600k. If I had the cash, (pun intended) I would resolve the debate and buy one (2600k).
Oh no! you finally jumped onto the memory subsystem bandwagon Gary? laugh.pngJust kidding

Thanks for answering, gents, much appreciated. I read somewhere that the only difference between the 2500K and the 2600K is hyperthreading. But FSX doesn't make use of it, and anyway I will turn it off to achieve a higher overclock. If I'm going to get 5+ FPS more with the 2600K in the worst possible conditions (heavy scenery, lots of AI, complex aircraft), I don't mind paying 100 bucks more for it. But I don't think anyone is able to answer this question! Or is it? Whistle.gif Best regards, Jorge

And now they have the Thermalright HR-02 Macho in stock. Great. This was the cooler I originally had in mind, but now I have concerns about it fitting in the case with the 14 cm fan I comes bundled with... Jorge