Sign in to follow this  
j1o2h3n4

Whistler - Green Lake CAE5

Hi all,on using F1's Instant scenery to embellish the scenery at CAE5 (Whistler-Green Lake). A mate and I used the utility, fstutilities.zip, suggested by Opa , successfully.This, to flatten the area at the end of the Jetty, to enable us to add a terminal amongst other buildings. Getting carried away with this achievment, I then progressed to adding pontoons for float planes. As use of the Instant scenery involves non stop slewing to position objects, I did not realise that the underlying lake bed was only inches below the surface from about half way down the jetty.So once again attempted to use the flatten utility and lower the lake bed adjacent to the jetty, but to no avail - it generated a .bgl but there was no change in the depth of the lake in the area under discussion.So before I bin 3 days work has anybody got an idea as to what can be done as a rectification exercise?Thanks in advance.Regards JohnT This is a repeat post, previously posted on the FSS dedicated forum by mistake.FS9 - Win7

O-o-o-o-ps me float plane don't float. Regards JohnT
Not when you slewing it won't. FWIW, FS water doesn't have "depth". Your either on land or on bottomless water. Now I know some of y'all are gonna whip out the terrain SDK and point out the different depths of waterclass. All that changes is the textures used. From a float/seaplane operational standpoint there is no bottom to the water. regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe,sorry for the confusion, trying to do three things at once. For some reason my set-up seems to be picking which textures it will display randomly.But maybe these piccies will show the problem better. Many regards JohnT

Not sure exactly what we are looking at. Is the plane bobbing up and down? That's normal. With the plane in the position shown in the last pic, what happens if you start it up and try to taxi away? Due to the complete lack of detail in the ground/water textures it's not completely clear what's going on. No offense intended, but it looks to me like your system is starved for resources due to the scenery complexity. May I suggest you turn off some of the eye candy until you get the ground/water defined like you want it. regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Is there a dock park there? If so then thats your problem. It will pick up the terrain elevation of the near terrain.Joe W

Hi all, sorry for the delay in answering. Real life events intervening. Plus a mate arrived and we have spent all night trying to set up a float base at Kamloops.Now to business- the new attachment shows the area under consideration with Vancouver +1 scenery dis-enabled. The problem is the, for want of a better description, the sand bar/ raised ground, running left to right, a couple of metres from the bank. This would appear to be default mesh, as deactivating all but basic scenery does not remove it.Vanc+1 places the stone jetty to the left of the road which runs down to the lake and it sits on top of this raised bank. I'm assuming this is what is grounding my planes. So I'm thinking unless I can get a custom mesh that will "sink this" bar, I guess I'll have to redo the terminal. Bravo(Joe) the last picture showed the plane moved slightly to the (Right) from the previous picture, where upon it sensed ground and lowered the gear.I don't understand the lack of textures either. My machine is an Alienware "Aurora" i7 930 with an ATI HD5870 v2 card and DDR3 6Gb of RAM.It runs UK2000 Heathrow extreme plus Sqawkbox?FSCom A/Sky and virtually anything else I want with no bother, so why it struggles with this scenery is beyond me.Incidentally just noticed it's doing the same at Kamloops and I haven't even started to put any additional scenery on yet. It started as soon as I activated Instant Scenery. Is there a dock park there Not too sure what you mean Joe, are you referring to the AFCAD term GA Dock? If so, yes. We had placed a GA Dock point there, that's when this problem came to light. Been a long fruitless day - see thee the morrow. Regards JohnT

As a picture is or two is worth as thousand words :-) Regards JohnT
It might help if you had aircraft casts shadows on.

John ........... remove the park at the dock and see what happens. If the scenery textures show better then you might try using a start there at the dock. A start will let you place the elevation for that. You have something in the scenery that FSX doesn't like and you need top find what it is. Joe W

I just went there in FSX. I searched for the AFCAD and there is not a default CAE5 listed. There is a ORBX BCPNW Floatbase with the icao of CAE5, Whistler, Green lake.Have you modified this afcad? If so was it placed back in the BCPNW folder? There is not a park there but there is a start out in the bay and a runway without starts. I'm trying to see what you have worked from to where you are now.