Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Multiple monitors - ideas?

After years of thinking it would be a hassle to add a second monitor, the IT person at the university I teach at showed me how to do it with Win7 and it was a breeze. Now I'm curious to know how some of you who are experienced at using a second monitor use it? I've already used it for several different things and really like it. But rather than reinvent the wheel, maybe some of my fellow addicts could share your experience. I run FS in full screen mode and that seems to impose some limitations so any tips on that issue would also be appreciated.ThanksIanps. This is one of those "I really miss Opa" moments as I know he would have had something helpful and encouraging to say. Worried.gif

One of the best thing about it is you can combine the VC with 2D panels. I use the following setup. 50" LCD - Virtual Cockpit with TrackIR 14" touchscreen for FMC, EICAS, panel switchers, brake indicator etc. 15" LCD charts ect, also a networked laptop to run vatsim, weather programs etc so I keep my main machine using all it's power for FS9. The touchscreen and 15" monitor were very cheap of ebay, and the laptop is an old peice of junk that was sitting around the house. Even the 50" screen was less then £500 pounds so nothing too extravagant if the wife is looking over your shoulder ;) And if you do have the cash to spare then you can setup 3 large monitors to work with TrackIR. It does seem strange with Opa not around, he was helping me with some scenery design :( img0130ko.jpg

Rob Prest

After years of thinking it would be a hassle to add a second monitor, the IT person at the university I teach at showed me how to do it with Win7 and it was a breeze. Now I'm curious to know how some of you who are experienced at using a second monitor use it? I've already used it for several different things and really like it. But rather than reinvent the wheel, maybe some of my fellow addicts could share your experience. I run FS in full screen mode and that seems to impose some limitations so any tips on that issue would also be appreciated.ThanksIanps. This is one of those "I really miss Opa" moments as I know he would have had something helpful and encouraging to say. Worried.gif
Ian- Yes we all miss Opa.Here is my suggestion for multi monitors- in this case as they say, a picture is worth a long paragraph!The beauty of 2D & multiple mons is that panning and zooming is eliminated- the pic shows a constant 146º Field of View which on triple 17" LCDs spans 45 inches in width.And ALL panel components remain in a fixed location- thus in conformance with FAA regs re Flight Training Devices.Like your own private IMAX theater! (And keep a barf bag handy if you are into aerobatics.)ARPic is Df Bonanza on dawn final approach for R8L CYVR

Thanks guys. I'm definitely having fun with this. Not quite ready to go all out as you have but now that I see it's not as hard as I thought it would be, multiple monitors is on my "to do" list. A couple of things I'm discovering - you can run FS9 on one screen and AFX on the other - really helps with editing AFCADs. Have also found the ability to put 2D panels on the second monitor very helpful - especially for those models that don't have pop up instruments. And really nice for a couple of items I have that run as seperate modules - can have them permanently displayed instead of using pop ups... Very cool. If anyone reads this who is like me and was hesitant to do this - it really is easy and adds to the sim in significant ways.CheersIan