Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Lights questions and one on the APU bleed

I've notcied when spotting a/c out at ESSA that most a/c wait to switch the landing lights ON until they are on rather short final and get the cleared to land from the tower, yet I've heard many times that you should have your landing lights ON when below 10000 feet. Is that only a recommendation where IRL most airlines have their own policies when to switch the landing lights ON and OFF? I have the same question for the rwy turnoff lights, when are they normally switched ON/OFF? Then a question about the APU bleed air, after landing at an airport and vacating the rwy I understood that it's common you start the APU so you have it up and running before you get to the gate but when would you normally turn the APU bleed ON? Because on your way from the vacated rwy to the gate you also have the engine bleed ON and you don't want dual bleed for any longer preiod of time is that correct?

Richard Åsberg

I've notcied when spotting a/c out at ESSA that most a/c wait to switch the landing lights ON until they are on rather short final and get the cleared to land from the tower, yet I've heard many times that you should have your landing lights ON when below 10000 feet. Is that only a recommendation where IRL most airlines have their own policies when to switch the landing lights ON and OFF? I have the same question for the rwy turnoff lights, when are they normally switched ON/OFF? Then a question about the APU bleed air, after landing at an airport and vacating the rwy I understood that it's common you start the APU so you have it up and running before you get to the gate but when would you normally turn the APU bleed ON? Because on your way from the vacated rwy to the gate you also have the engine bleed ON and you don't want dual bleed for any longer preiod of time is that correct?
Lights - company policy. So, of course it varies from airlines to airline. Turn-off lights included. Usually everything is turned off exiting the runways, possibly excluding the taxi light. The APU takes about 50-55 seconds to start. My last airline started the APU entering the ramp area and brought the APU GEN online as soon as it was available. As the engines were shut down, the APU bleed was turned on.

Matt Cee

you can put on the fixed landing lights after 10k and then the retractable landing lights on short final as a gross error check that your cleared to land..

Ok, thanks guys!Any SAS pilot in hear that could tell us about the actual policy regarding this?

Richard Åsberg

Because on your way from the vacated rwy to the gate you also have the engine bleed ON and you don't want dual bleed for any longer preiod of time is that correct?
As far as i know, there is no problem having dual bleed for any period of time, the only restriction being that the engines are to never be advanced past idle.

Cristi Neagu

Now that you mention it I remember reading that too. But on the other hand at least I usually have to use some thrust while taxing in FS especially in the corners when turning so I guess I'll wait with APU bleed until parked at the gate and engines OFF.

Richard Åsberg

Hopefully next to the engine stops, you also don't need the bleed as the passengers are leaving the plane, if there is a lot of time to wait or the plane must mantain the temperature bleed is needed but for safety reason is better to prevent the dual bleed condition.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Actually airlines are trying to find ways to cut cost so they only run the APU for engine start. When you vacate the runway and pull into the gate crews hook up external power. Turn arounds are 45min or less and the cabin still stay relativly cool during this time.

Yes, I understood most airlines prefer to use external resources whenever available and I also heard many airports want it this way since running APUs generate lots of noice. In the end I belive these kind of things might also be different depending on what airline you're looking at and in what part of the world, type of airport etc etc.

Richard Åsberg