Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Brakes anti-skid

I have just been searching the internet for information on wheel brakes in FSX, and I saw an AVSIM thread about the wheels "locking up" when any brakes are applied. The last entry in the thread (December 2009) was from Rob at RealAir Simulations, and this is what it stated........ The locking of wheels on the visual models in FSX is a hard coded bug and appears not to be solvable. It's not connected with actual braking...it's just that FSX locks the animation of wheel rotation visually when any braking is applied...and this happens on every single aircraft I've seen including all the FSX default aircraft. This is one of many issues that SP2/Acceleration didn't fix, unfortunately. The reason that I have posted this here was to check to see if you were all aware that there is a solution to this. All you need to do is assign a key command to "Brakes anti-skid ON/OFF" in the Controls menu. I find it hard to believe that you guys are not aware of this by now, but I thought that I would post it anyway.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I find it hard to believe that you guys are not aware of this by now, but I thought that I would post it anyway.
Sounds like a great fix, Chris, but there has been this fix in the Tips n Tricks forum for a while now. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/330133-preventing-the-wheels-from-locking-when-braking/

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I am still curious as to why you would need to add something like that when there is an alternative already available in the FSX controls menu. I mean, it must have been there right from the start....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The standard, and most add-on GA aircraft have an annoying habit of locking the wheels when braking.This looks silly when watched from the outside view.. It turns out that the anti-skid function which is selectable on most airliners also works on GA planes. Two ways of enabling: 1. Set a key in the Controls panel of FSX to correspond to Brake Anti Skid toggle and use this key 2. Add a little XML gauge to your....
I am still curious as to why you would need to add something like th.......
You're still curious because you didn't read his post..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I’m also trying to add an anti-skid gauge to my aircraft so the wheels don’t visually appear to lock up every time I put the brakes on in FSX. I’ve have the following XML code by Bernt Stolle for the gauge, but I wish to know where or how to add it to the aircraft? Is the following placed in a separate .xml file and if so, where is the file placed and how is it automatically triggered when the aircraft is loaded?<Gauge Name="AntiSkid" Version="1.0"><!-- Turn on Anti-skid --><Element> <Select> <Value> (L:AntiSkidInit,bool) 1 != if{ (A:ANTISKID BRAKES ACTIVE,bool) 1 != if{ 0 (>K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE) } 1 (>L:AntiSkidInit,bool) } </Value> </Select> </Element></Gauge>Gary

I assume you do not want to use the option that is already available in the FSX Controls Menu?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

it's just that FSX locks the animation of wheel rotation visually when any braking is applied...and this happens on every single aircraft I've seen including all the FSX default aircraft.
That's not the case. the wheels on the default C172 and b747 continue to rotate under braking and only stop as the aircraft stops. I''ve just re-checked before posting this.

I’m also trying to add an anti-skid gauge to my aircraft so the wheels don’t visually appear to lock up every time I put the brakes on in FSX. I’ve have the following XML code by Bernt Stolle for the gauge, but I wish to know where or how to add it to the aircraft? Is the following placed in a separate .xml file and if so, where is the file placed and how is it automatically triggered when the aircraft is loaded?Gary
Send me an email address via PM and I will send you the gauge and the instructions how to add to a plane.