Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Hodgson

Will X-Plane take over FSX?

Hi fellow FSX users, Just want to say that I love Flight Simulator. I have had every version since Flight Sim 5 right up to FSX and it's just an amazing product. It's taken me to many places, which in reality would cost a fortune, but from I what I have seen in the X-Plane forums here, there seems to be an opinion that X-Plane will become the default sim over X-Plane. What do you guys think? From what they are saying, they seem to pretty sure of themselves, but there still doesn't seem to be many add-ons available for it, even though it is hyped up beyond belief. Cheers Roger

From a past X-Plane user; I don't think FSX has anything to worry about. I swore by XP and said I would never return to MS simulators because they left me feeling like it was a game (I had only experienced MSFS 98/2002) and didn't know about add-ons etc. I also was running a Mac so naturally I migrated to X-Plane. I loved the flight dynamics and looked past its graphical flaws. I then decided to build a new PC to better run XP..by this time I found out what FSX could do in terms of a prime system and tuned add-ons. So I figured I'd install it and see what I could do with it. I haven't started XP since Feb. 16 2011; literally. XP will always be a niche market I believe and the add-on world just hasn't caught on. There are a handful of decent payware planes available but they do not fit in with their surrounding when all you see are weirdly placed Ikea buildings everywhere and strange 2D looking deer running across the runway. I personally don't believe Austin Meyer has the ability to rival MFS atmosphere. I think XP will always lead in the flight dynamics aspect but probably will end there. But who knows. I don't know a whole lot about XP10 but word is going around the current FSX devs are going to be also developing for XP10 so we will see. If the flight dynamics of XP could meet the graphical power and add-on magnitude of FSX then fasten your seat belts because XP will be barreling through and I will gladly hitch a ride.

Guest jahman

That was an informative comparison of XP9 vs. FS10, but "shortly" the comparison will be XP10 vs. FS11 ("Flight").Cheers,- jahman.

That was an informative comparison of XP9 vs. FS10, but "shortly" the comparison will be XP10 vs. FS11 ("Flight"). Cheers, - jahman.
Which will be met with the same arguments I am sure. MFS will always cater to a larger market IE many that do not fly seriously therefore I doubt aspects such as the flight dynamics will be addressed with Flight. They simply wouldn't sell many copies because little Johnny can't get his 747 to take off from his local FBO. It may be XP10 V. Flight but I think it's going to come down to the same differences. Eye candy V. realistic flying experience.

If Flight is on hold X-Plane 10 will diffidently be a contender with FSX. The key things are: 1. Allot of FS add-on scenery is convertible especially FS9 scenery2. ATC3. AI system meaning the sim can be populated with world airline/GA traffic4. Global detailed terrain5. Great performance (yet to be seen but reasonable considering past versions)6. FS developers are starting to create professional add-ons for the platform example being Caranado I'll be looking at X-Plane 10 when it comes out for sure.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Let's not start this my sim is better then your sim crap again! We just went through this (again) over in the X-Plane Forum, and as usual it didn't (and never does) end well! It's like the MAC vs PC debates, FS'ers will never convince Xplaner's and vice versa, so why can't we just leave sleeping dogs lie?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Let's not start this my sim is better then your sim crap again! We just went through this (again) over in the X-Plane Forum, and as usual it didn't (and never does) end well! It's like the MAC vs PC debates, FS'ers will never convince Xplaner's and vice versa, so why can't we just leave sleeping dogs lie?
Lol we are still recovering from the FS9 vs FSX debated (which started 5 years ago hehehe), it's simple just enjoy what for you personal works Angel.gif

André

I'm sure XP 10 will be much improved. It might even bring some eye candy with it. LOL.gif BUT, I doubt that FSX users will jump on XP10 and make it their sim of choice. Looking back at FS 2004 add-on purchases. I was NOT able to use not one FS9 add on with FSX. That's a lot of money down the drain. I even paid an upgrade price for the LVD 767. Thanks! Most FSX purchases do come with an FS9 version, not the other way around. New sim will probably require new sceneries, airplanes, and other add-ons that will have to be purchased. Maybe even a new computer upgrade. It's no wonder why there are so many still stuck with FS9.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest jahman
I'm sure XP 10 will be much improved....
So will Flight! :( Cheers,- jahman.

... but from I what I have seen in the X-Plane forums here, there seems to be an opinion that X-Plane will become the default sim over X-Plane.
Of course they're going to say that LOL! And I'm sure you'll find many FSX-ers here in this FSX forum that will say the same thing about "their" sim...It's not like you'll find a bunch of XP fans, in an XP forum, stating that FSX will be the default sim hehe... As far as my thoughts: I wish XP10 well - honestly! It looks like a solid upgrade or sim from XP9. I don't really care about neighborhood-level scenery, and I imagine it would take a decent amount of CPU horsepower, but I'm glad they are getting into details like that for the latest XP sim. For me to even consider buying XP there needs to be a much better quality addon market. Second to that would be a decent represenation of small rural airports, which is where I do most of my flying. Have you seen some of the default airports in XP9? yikes! XP9 reminds me very much of FS9 regarding the rural scenery aspect. I've not touched FS9 since about 2009. Flight - we'll have to see, so far we've only seen Hawaii, but it looks promising, even moreso if they can tackle the stock FDE's. For now my default sim is FSX.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree with that statement.As far as X-Plane goes, I will never buy it or try in until my favorite developers start producing for it, ie. FSDT, FlyTampa, PMDG, Level-D. Plus I am not too fond of the AI situation if I understand it correctly from the small amount that I have read on the subject.Personally, I would be more inclined to pay $10 per month and try P3D before I tried X-Plane.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The primary thing that keeps me from XP is the lack of a large selection of high quality addons. If that changes in the future I may be more willing to try playing it.

Any change in sim preferences will be led by the add on developers. If MS Flight is infact on hold, or worse... then its simple common business sense that they who make their living developing add ons for flight sims would move on too. I can see FSX sticking around for another few years as it still cannot be ran fully on even todays hardware. So as newer and faster computers come out people would still run it with all their fine add ons, but... if MS did shut down its FS development completely or simply turned its attention to the xbox or playstation platforms, forsaking PC gaming then yes, XP would leap to the front. Because most add on developers would simply move with it, pushing XP into first place. Infact I know of several MAJOR add on developers who are either openly developing (and selling) for XP. Or are privately undertaking initial development ventures to see if they can program XP stuff to the quality and level their customers have come to enjoy and expect with their FS stuff. Folks here are clearly growing impatient with MS and rightfully so... we want information and updates yet MS won;t give them to us for various unknown reasons. Because we are only a small but vocal part of their customer base. To which they care only somewhat... if at all. But in short the answer will ultimately lay with add on developers.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

To be honest, it's a non issue for me, I like aeroplanes at the end of the day, not sims just for the sake of liking sims, they are a tool, so I'd never be so partisan about it to prefer one over the other for anything other than their utility to me. I'd use any sim that had merit for what I wanted to simulate, thus I have MSTS, Trainz and Railworks, because I like trains, so all three sims are of interest, same with flight sims, I've bought Flight Unlimited, Fly!, Flight Simulator, X-Plane, Condor, Silent Wings, Extreme Air Racing, IL-2, Apache Air Assault, DCS A-10 etc, etc, and they all get an outing once in a while (some more than others of course), but for example, Silent Wings and Condor do gliding better than FS does, so if I want to fly a simulated glider that day, it'll be that one I might fire up, but if I want to pretend to fly a 737 to Dusseldorf, I'll click on the FSX shortcut. If Flight and X-Plane ten are good, I'll fly em for their relative merits, and I won't ever feel compelled to be pointlessly overtly loyal to one over the other for some silly cliquish reason. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

We'll have to wait until X-Plane 10 ships to have any real idea of how it'll do. However, I take exception to this artificial distinction between the "flight experience" and "eye candy". Having a realistic world to look at all around you is a HUGE part of the flight experience. I guarantee you that if you had the most realistic flight dynamics imaginable and used them in a wireframe world, you would not believe for one second that you were flying. Skies are important. The ground beneath you matters. Rivets... well, they count. Every tiny way we can make our simulated world look more like the one outside our windows helps close the gap between computer-generated and reality. Candy tastes good but it rots your teeth. What we've got in our sims is eye broccoli. And yes, I do love me some broccoli.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit