Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Hodgson

Will X-Plane take over FSX?

I don't know. I alway seem to here alot of hype about the next version of XP and is somewhat like Obama always being in campaign mode with no results. I applaud the developers though for jumping on the band wagon writing for both sims. I wonder how different the code bases are and how much of a learning curve they had to endure? What would be nice to know is what carenado might have to say about the the capabilities of the flight models available to them through each sims SDK. Bob

I don't know. I alway seem to here alot of hype about the next version of XP and is somewhat like Obama always being in campaign mode with no results. I applaud the developers though for jumping on the band wagon writing for both sims. I wonder how different the code bases are and how much of a learning curve they had to endure? What would be nice to know is what carenado might have to say about the the capabilities of the flight models available to them through each sims SDK. Bob
your analogy is comical Straight Face.gif

I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to get political, even in the confines of an analogy.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

To be honest, it's a non issue for me, I like aeroplanes at the end of the day, not sims just for the sake of liking sims, they are a tool, so I'd never be so partisan about it to prefer one over the other for anything other than their utility to me.
For me I also feel the same way, the issue is I cant afford addons for every single sim out there and I really like buying addons. :) I also have Railworks 2 and buy as many addons for it as I can, but because of that I cant buy Trainz. So for me, whoever gets more addon support for this next gen of flight sims will be ultimately who I go with.

Lol we are still recovering from the FS9 vs FSX debated (which started 5 years ago hehehe), it's simple just enjoy what for you personal works Angel.gif
Exactly along the lines of what I have been thinking for awhile. Even still FS98 uploads are hitting the libraries. There are many reasons why people are still using what they have. It all comes down to what works best for the individual user. Some days XP9 presents what I want in sim-flying but most other days I am either tweaking FSX or recovering from CTD or OOM errors, but these errors only happen on start-up menu or while on short final. My hope is that XP10 will take me out of my Flight Sim misery, but it will probably be a long time before my FSX goes away. Chock makes a good point about keeping variety on the desktop to satisfy whatever your sim interest is. I have most of the train sims as well. And when I think of the evolution of sims, I can't imagine ever trying to soar in FS9 and when Take On Helicopter comes out I will probably move away from rotary-wings in FSX. I know the subject of X-Plane vs MSFS sets off a lot of people and I promise to never post to the subject again. Shocked.gif

Keith Guillory

FSX is a stationary target while X-Plane is constantly moving and evolving. It makes sense to assume that given enough time, X-Plane will "overtake" FSX. Of course, there will always be things that some people like better about FSX, just as there are things from the Flight Unlimited series, Fly and even Pro Pilot that I still miss in FSX. X-Plane will probably always be a bit more experimental, less polished and more clunky from a user interface perspective, because that's just how the sim is. There's also Microsoft Flight, which will probably be different in many ways, but will still carry on the MSFS legacy. I use FSX maybe 80% of the time I spend simming, but sometimes it's fun to fire up X-Plane, Flightgear, Vehicle Simulator or even some military sim just for some variation.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Whats "taking over" ? The question is "Wich sim will be the most used one within about five years." ?The answer is simple.If MS Flight brings us what we all hope it wil bring us it will be Flight.Not that I am saying Flight will be beter than X-Plane , its just the fact the MSFS market is so much bigger at the moment.BUT, if Flight happens to be just an arcade-like game OR dies before birth all developers will turn into the X-Plane market and X-Plane will be the lead-sim in no time. Its a question of whats happening with Flight. Personally I think its wise to go "Bi-sim-ual" or even "Multi-sim-ual"Always good to be prepared. Cheers Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest bstolle

Let's see if x-plane 10 will be better than FSX. That's the first hurdle for x-plane. If Flight is going to be released than this will be the next hurdle for x-plane 10.

FSX is a stationary target while X-Plane is constantly moving and evolving.
I own every version of X-Plane since the initial release and indeed, it is always changing. In my opinion that is one of its strengths and its greatest weakness. I, like many, sufferered through the arbitrary and frequent updates to X-Plane that rendered add-on planes and scenery useless. The evolution of X-Plane has been a zig zag process solely at the whim of Austin Meyers. My understanding is X-Plane 10 will still offer the same ludicrous and featureless 'stock' GPS that was delivered with X-Plane 1. It won't accept a flight plan, only allowing 'direct to' navigating. I have the RXP 430 plug in, however, it's not the stock GPS that is the problem, it is the refusal by Austin to listen to his flight sim customers. Years ago we begged for a better GPS and Austin gave us Mars. Just wonderful. :( X-Plane will NEVER surpass Flight Sim as long as Ausin Meyers believes his product is an academic tool. Thanks. Bob.. :)

FSX still has some life left in it yet no dout,theres still stuff in the shader code that can be tweaked/improved (in looking at tweaking the cloud tinting atm)and as new hardware has really let ppl up the eye candy and still maintain good FPS for me its become the sim i always wish it had been at RTM i guess the only things id love to see make it into FSX are cloud shadows and Crepuscular rays (that said i am a GFX **) Laterssteve

It would be one thing if X-Plane 10 only had to improve over default FSX. For many of us it has a much more difficult task; improve over FSX running Orbx scenery and Real Environment Xtreme.

It would be one thing if X-Plane 10 only had to improve over default FSX. For many of us it has a much more difficult task; improve over FSX running Orbx scenery and Real Environment Xtreme.
There's a version of REX for X-Plane. There's a series of Alaska and Canada sceneries for X-Plane that look pretty good, and there's the RealScenery project and many others. Also, Carenado have started making aircraft addons for X-Plane.As more people discover the sim, more of the addon developers will switch over (or develop for both sims in parallel). With REX and Carenado already doing this, X-Plane does seem to have become quite popular.
I own every version of X-Plane since the initial release and indeed, it is always changing. In my opinion that is one of its strengths and its greatest weakness. I, like many, sufferered through the arbitrary and frequent updates to X-Plane that rendered add-on planes and scenery useless. The evolution of X-Plane has been a zig zag process solely at the whim of Austin Meyers. My understanding is X-Plane 10 will still offer the same ludicrous and featureless 'stock' GPS that was delivered with X-Plane 1. It won't accept a flight plan, only allowing 'direct to' navigating. I have the RXP 430 plug in, however, it's not the stock GPS that is the problem, it is the refusal by Austin to listen to his flight sim customers. Years ago we begged for a better GPS and Austin gave us Mars. Just wonderful. sad.png X-Plane will NEVER surpass Flight Sim as long as Ausin Meyers believes his product is an academic tool. Thanks. Bob.. :)
Newer versions breaking backwards compatibility has been a major problem with X-Plane. Sometimes, it's good to throw out backwards compatibility because it can help with the stability and performance of the sim. It also allows the developers to focus on new features rather than spending resources making sure 8-year old addons that no one uses any more still work. But it needs to be done in a predictable way, and only after careful consideration. With X-Plane it has often been something that takes everyone by surprise. I think the situation is improving however. X-Plane 9 aircraft and scenery is supposed to work in XP10. I don't think X-Plane itself needs to provide a great GPS, flight planner etc. as long as it's easy for addon developers to work with X-Plane.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

There's a version of REX for X-Plane.
I had forgotten that! There is also a version of REX for FS2004 so it looks like they want to cover all the bases.

keep the politics out of it please

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.