Sign in to follow this  
Akila

737NGX Sound Questions/problem (maybe)

Hi guys, I got a very strange issue which I find it hard to explain why, it might not be an issue thoughbut mis understanding on how the sound works or maybe misconfiguration(s). here is the deal, I got the NGX (on day one - like most of us probably), Installed it.works great, honestly it does.any way I browsed through the Installation folder , but I mainly put my focus on the Sound folder(s) of the NGX, as I am a sound freak.the two main sound root folders are: .\Sound\PMDG\737NGX.\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX\sound great Hundreds of sound files which when played in Media player sounds amazing.However I have noticed that many of those sounds (and I will focus on specific ones shortly) I never hear themwhen flying but hearing something else, more like an FSX default sound.here is my example which I want to focus on.touch down sound effects.there are number of sound files within NGX that control the sound when you touchdown during landing.You know the shake sound, etc.here are few files that control that sound (so I assume) .\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX\sound\PMDG737NGX_TOUCHDOWN_3.wav.\Sound\PMDG\737NGX\PMDG_737_Touchdown.wav sounds very nicely when played in media player, however all I get when touching down on the actual NGX/FSX flight is a dull blob default FSX touch down soundnot even close to what the NGX WAV files sounds like.I have the same with other sounds as well , one that I have noticed as well was when you roll on the runway, either during take off or landing.The NGX WAV files sound very good and convincing, however I don't get those sound in the actual flight itself, I get something else. I must say however that the rest of the NGX sounds do play nicely when I fly the bird, it is only those (yet) two I had found that the actual sound in the NGX flightdoes not match the so sound files presumably representing the sound for those actions/events (e.g. touchdown, roll). is there anything I can check or configure to match those files to be the actual sound in NGX? BTW - it's nothing to do with volume settings/speakers, so don't even go that path.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

I love the sounds also, but I discovered that certain sounds are "overshadowed" because of the sound sliders in FSX. If you lower the engine sound and/or environment sound sliders, then you will pick up sounds you couldn't hear before. Of course, there is a tradeoff in that you may not want to give up the intensity of sounds lowered by the sliders. PMDG recommends all sliders at 50 (except voice/ATC), but you'll have to experiment to decide what's right for you.

I do run all on 50 as recommended and I truly believe those sounds would not be "overshadowed" or PMDG would recommend a differentsound settings.PMDG would not release a sound that couldn't be heared under their sound settings recommendations (so I believe).that is why I pretty convinced sound settings/volume is not the issue here , as I mentioned, I run the sounds settings based on PMDG recommendations,which is all on 50

Joel Strikovsky

Yes, I am not satisfied with the touchdown sound. It should be like what you hear in Sound\PMDG\737NGX\PMDG_737_Touchdown.wav, but in fact that sound is not heard, exactly as you say in the first post, I only hear a "dull blob default FSX touch down sound".

James Goggi

can any one post the FSX default touchdown sound files that are involved?I couldn't find it.I want and try and lower their volumes.

Joel Strikovsky

good news, it is fixed with SP1 !!!!now you can really hear the touchdown sound---Joel Strikovsky

Joel Strikovsky

Nameless - please sign with your name! Indeed - Robert coded the sound so that the volume is proportional to the vertical speed at touchdown - the harder the touchdown, the louder the sound!

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Can this sound be moved, and added to my other "less than worthy" aircraft in FSX? Would it just be as simple at renaming it?@PMDG,Are we able or allowed to even do that? Thanks.

Love the new touchdown sound BTW.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Can this sound be moved, and added to my other "less than worthy" aircraft in FSX? Would it just be as simple at renaming it?@PMDG,Are we able or allowed to even do that? Thanks.
the sound file is "PMDG_737_Touchdown.wav", the file was there all along, but they never attached it to the Gauges of the NGX.post SP1 they did so.if your other Airplane have a dedicated landing sound you could grab it and place it there (rename it to match the original file).I just extracted the landing sound from a real NGX and I am planing on replacing the file with mines.---Joel Strikovsky

Joel Strikovsky

I have been wanting to play with the sound files for a while now, as in, finding and cleaning up RW cockpit sounds of the FO, and replacing them, and placing them in the NGX. Just a little weary as to not wanting to FUBAR my nice new aircraft.