Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Photoscenery on separate drive?

Hi- I'm copying a trial state from SimSavvy and from the looks of it right now, I'm going to run out of disk space on the FSX drive. I have another drive in my box, but don't know how to point the scenery folder to go get it. Any suggestions? Thanks,Mark

Mark, It's simple. I had copied my old SimSavvy files to drive D, but I've a new drive that I'm putting my new SimSavvy files on (drive P for "photoscenery"). For any scenery that doesn't reside in your FSX installation, all you need to do is to explicitly note the path to the scenery (and not use the relative path style for things like Local=Addon Scenery)

[Area.173]Title=ArkansasLocal=D:\SimSavvy\Central_US\ArkansasLayer=173Active=FALSERequired=FALSE [Area.174]Title=Arizona50cmLocal=P:\MassiveScenery\Arizona50cmLayer=174Active=FALSERequired=FALSE

Mark, It's simple. I had copied my old SimSavvy files to drive D, but I've a new drive that I'm putting my new SimSavvy files on (drive P for "photoscenery"). For any scenery that doesn't reside in your FSX installation, all you need to do is to explicitly note the path to the scenery (and not use the relative path style for things like Local=Addon Scenery)
[Area.173]Title=ArkansasLocal=D:\SimSavvy\Central_US\ArkansasLayer=173Active=FALSERequired=FALSE [Area.174]Title=Arizona50cmLocal=P:\MassiveScenery\Arizona50cmLayer=174Active=FALSERequired=FALSE

Sounds easy. Will FSX automatically register this in the scenery library, or will I have to do something there? What little scenery I have that didn't have an installer was done through the addon scenery folder and I had to do that manually.

Mark, I find it's easiest to do this manually for small groups of folders, but for large jobs FSX's Scenery Library editor might be quicker. So if you copy all of your SimSavvy folders/files to Drive X, you could manually add the 50 states (plus the rest of the world) or you could use the good old Scenery Library in FSX to add each state/region. I used the editor to add the initial states, and the Europe/African/Asian satellite areas later on. But when I changed to the new Arizona scenery all I did was manually change the Local: path. If you do so manually (with Notepad or whatever) then FSX would automatically recognize the change when you next run the sim. And sorry, but I should have mentioned earlier that you should always back up any such cfg file before attempting an edit manually. Unless you never make mistaeks. LOL.gif

Sounds easy. Will FSX automatically register this in the scenery library, or will I have to do something there? What little scenery I have that didn't have an installer was done through the addon scenery folder and I had to do that manually.
Hi,Keep it simple folksyou don't need to edit any fileyou just use the FSX scenery add on menu The advantage of doing that is that you can easily select or unselect the states you want to fly over (or not to fly over).

Hi,Keep it simple folksyou don't need to edit any fileyou just use the FSX scenery add on menu The advantage of doing that is that you can easily select or unselect the states you want to fly over (or not to fly over).
Keep it simple is great for adding an area or two. but I am in the process of moving 25 addon sceneries from my C drive to my E drive. So much quicker for me to use the find and replace facility in word and 25 entries are changed in a second. IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Just change the drive letter in the CFG. If FSX is missing something it will give you an error