Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

KBOS-KLGA routing question

Greetings all, I've was setting up a KBOS-KLGA flight yesterday, and used this routing (from Flightaware.com):PATSS BDL BDL255 VALRE HAARP1 What exactly does "BDL255" stand for? Is it the radial off of the BDL vor, and how would it be programmed into the FMC?

I think it means after reaching BDL, turn to heading 255 for 'X' distance.

It is a radial from BDL VOR. Ii is a very common thing for the Northeast region of the national airspace. Same things you may find out off/in DCA, ERW., PHL..It is telling you that you have to fly to BDL VOR and then on BDL radilal of 255 degrees till intercept VALRE, because there are no neither Victor no J route from BDL to VALRE, and from the VALRE you will joint the STAR.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Check on the FMC manual information about place/bearing /distance. It will enable you to create a point in relation to a VOR.Happy flights

Guest dlrk

BDL direct VALRE will do it, since the 255 radial from BDL is the same as the 255 outbound course from BDL and the 255 outbound course is the direct route from BDL to VALRE.

Ron,Darrol in post #6 has offered some sound advice. In the route you posted, PATSS BDL BDL255 VALRE HAARP1, "BDL255" simply means you are expected to from BDL to VALRE via BDL R-255. In this case VALRE is actually found at D62 along the BDL R-255. In CONUS you can visit www.skyvector.com to view your enroute charts, which will help you visualize the enroute segment of your flight. You wont be able to program BDL255 in your CDU- although in this case there is no need. In other instances you may need to establish your aircraft along the outbound radial, in this case BDL R-255 and then fly direct the next fix or waypoint (VALRE in this case). Again, with this particular route it is not necessary.JW

Thanks. I just flew the route shown below with the same principles and it worked out fine.KPVD PVD180 JUMPR MVY260 SHLEP J121 PLUME V139 BRIGS JIMGE2 KPHL (flightaware)I understand now.

Doug Wilson