Sign in to follow this  
brucek

CTD when opening 2D windows.

I couldn't find an answer to this topic when I searched this forum. I have been thinking about undocking a 2D window on a second monitor. The second monitor is not yet connected, however I have been using the " View" pulldown menu to see what is available for the NGX. Just opening, undocking and closing several 2D windows seems to cause a CTD when using the NGX, which I also have configured for EZCA. Seems that after opening/undocking some 2D windows then using EZCA in the VC I get a CTD. I am running Windows 64 with 6G of ram, on an i7 system, with no over clock (I disabled the oc when I first got the CTD ). Any ideas most appreciated.Thanks, Bruce.

Guest firehawk44
I couldn't find an answer to this topic when I searched this forum. I have been thinking about undocking a 2D window on a second monitor. The second monitor is not yet connected, however I have been using the " View" pulldown menu to see what is available for the NGX. Just opening, undocking and closing several 2D windows seems to cause a CTD when using the NGX, which I also have configured for EZCA. Seems that after opening/undocking some 2D windows then using EZCA in the VC I get a CTD. I am running Windows 64 with 6G of ram, on an i7 system, with no over clock (I disabled the oc when I first got the CTD ). Any ideas most appreciated. Thanks, Bruce.
Was there an error message in the Event Viewer for the time of the CTD? That sometimes gives you a good clue as to what went wrong. It could have been caused by EZCA. Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim and jahman, I've just gotten to this issue, thanks for the replies. Jim- yes, I will check the EV the next time this happens. jahman- I did download the UIAutomation.Dll (version 6.0.6001.18000), and installed it into the FSX root folder. Here's a strange observation though- I can repeatably rename the .dll and then rename it back to it's correct filename (therefore simulating the file either being in the FSX root or not), and have found a 10 fps difference in performance. The sim is performing worse (lower fps) when the .dll file is in the FSX root folder, than when it is not (and I assume FSX accesses the existing version installed as a system folder). Is this just a consequence of installing the .dll to the FSX root, in that crashes cease (I have yet to see that, but have had no crashes so I can't say), at the expense of frames- to the extent of 10 fps? Thanks- your help is much appreciated. Bruce.Edit: Looking around here at AVSIM I see the following note in a post of long ago:"Make sure it is this version:-version 6.0.5840.16386"Could it be that I just have the wrong version of this file? Has anyone experienced perf issues if the wrong version is used?Thanks, Bruce.

Guest jahman
jahman- I did download the UIAutomation.Dll (version 6.0.6001.18000), and installed it into the FSX root folder. Here's a strange observation though- I can repeatably rename the .dll and then rename it back to it's correct filename (therefore simulating the file either being in the FSX root or not), and have found a 10 fps difference in performance. The sim is performing worse (lower fps) when the .dll file is in the FSX root folder, than when it is not (and I assume FSX accesses the existing version installed as a system folder). Is this just a consequence of installing the .dll to the FSX root, in that crashes cease (I have yet to see that, but have had no crashes so I can't say), at the expense of frames- to the extent of 10 fps?
  1. Version 6.0.6001.18000 is fine.
  2. Yes, that's correct: If the dll is present in FSX's root directory, then FSX will load it from there. If it's not, FSX will load it from the Windows/SysWOW64 directory.
  3. Not sure why you're gettng the 10 FPS hit. Try other versions and report back? Big Grin.gif
  4. The test for the UIAutomationCore bug is you get a CTD after 20 or so mouse right-clicks on the FSX main window.

Cheers, - jahman.

Thanks jahman, My ctd issue seems to be related to 2d views being opened from the pulldown "View" menu (or it could just be accessing the pull down menu too, not necessarily related to views), and occur after multiple views have been opened and closed within a session. At least that's what it appears to be. I will try the other version of the .dll, and report back. Thanks, Bruce.

Guest jahman
Thanks jahman, My ctd issue seems to be related to 2d views being opened from the pulldown "View" menu (or it could just be accessing the pull down menu too, not necessarily related to views), and occur after multiple views have been opened and closed within a session. At least that's what it appears to be. I will try the other version of the .dll, and report back. Thanks, Bruce.
Yes, that's another symptom of the UIAutomationCode-dll bug: Any task that relies on the menu (top main or via right-mouse click) to perform a task. After twenty or so times, your FS session is but a memory. Cheers, - jahman.

Guest firehawk44

This is where I step in and say once again that I do NOT have the uiautomationcode.dll in my main FSX folder and I do not have any problems (I did have it in the main FSX folder for a couple of hours to see what it did and didn't like it so deleted it). But, if it fixes issues for some, well, what the heck. Again, the uiautomationcode.dll is part of the Windows .NET Framework program which is used by developers to properly install their software. Make sure you have the latest version as Microsoft has updated this software almost weekly. Hope you get your problem fixed Bruce! Best regards,Jim