Sign in to follow this  
G550flyer

RW NG techniques if you are interested

what does 2.5 concrete blocks mean? mitch bowman
Most ramps and taxiways are made up of these blocks, they are not a continuous piece of concrete. So if you are looking out of the window next to your shoulder, you can see the distance that two blocks together plus a half will give you. In the real NG, 2.5 blocks straight out of your window will equate a point that your wing tip tracks. I will try to load a power point of these references with pictures.

Tk you so much for all the references and explanations!!!! All the best!!

Nice to use real world training tips for FSX flying. As I come across things I will continue to push it out. I'll look to see if I have generic flying techniques also.
Hi Rick,Fantastic effort on your behalf. The Taxi briefing was very interesting and provides a dimension estimating procedure needed to make sure the NG does not come into any conflict. Makes my 172 taxing and collision avoidance child's play...Regards

Geoff Bryce

Hi Rick,Fantastic effort on your behalf. The Taxi briefing was very interesting and provides a dimension estimating procedure needed to make sure the NG does not come into any conflict. Makes my 172 taxing and collision avoidance child's play...Regards
Lol, the hardest jet for me to taxi was the DC-10. One major problem was that you can't see the wing tips or engines from the pilot seats. Having taxi references in the cockpit was paramount. The other problem was that the nose gear wheels were about 20 feet behind you. Easily sets you up for putting one of your mains off the taxiway during turns. When making hard 90 degree turns, your body was physically over the grass before making the turn. The key was to turn when you felt very uncomfortable as the edge of the taxiway reached door 1 left or right. A few of my colleagues have put a main gear in the dirt and destroyed some taxiway lights. You never want to be that guy. The Gulfstreams are interesting because a FBO will pack you in with minimum clearances. Really pushing my comfort zone. You also have to make sure the parking brake is released before heading to the hotel because they will usually move your jet based on their needs.

I had never really thought you guys had much problems taxing as long as you followed the white line. Agree, though, when the nose wheel so far back, must be scary turning. I often wondered why the manufacturers never placed cameras below so you could see 'where you were' when taxing. Always liked flying in the DC10. Flew several times to Sri Lanka using Tri Stars. Many years ago as a passenger in a Foker F27, operating on outback single runway airport with no taxiways, pilots put a set of main wheels in the dirt when doing a turn for take off and got us bogged. As no ground assist transport to help in outback airport,(other than going and finding a tractor on nearby cattle property) Pilots shut down engine on bogged wheel side,and said over the PA, "well all you mining type guys, if some of you pull on the wheel strut, using a rope and some push the strut, we will soon be back on the runway and flying, otherwise we could be here for several hours". As it was pouring with rain at the time, did not take too long for ten of us guys to get out and get us back on the runway.

Geoff Bryce

I often wondered why the manufacturers never placed cameras below so you could see 'where you were' when taxing.
The 777 has them, i think. Others must have them as well, but the 777 is the only one I know of (not that i did any extensive research on the subject...).

Cristi Neagu

I had never really thought you guys had much problems taxing as long as you followed the white line. Agree, though, when the nose wheel so far back, must be scary turning. I often wondered why the manufacturers never placed cameras below so you could see 'where you were' when taxing. Always liked flying in the DC10. Flew several times to Sri Lanka using Tri Stars.Many years ago as a passenger in a Foker F27, operating on outback single runway airport with no taxiways, pilots put a set of main wheels in the dirt when doing a turn for take off and got us bogged. As no ground assist transport to help in outback airport,(other than going and finding a tractor on nearby cattle property) Pilots shut down engine on bogged wheel side,and said over the PA, "well all you mining type guys, if some of you pull on the wheel strut, using a rope and some push the strut, we will soon be back on the runway and flying, otherwise we could be here for several hours". As it was pouring with rain at the time, did not take too long for ten of us guys to get out and get us back on the runway.
usually you are safe by following the center line. It's when you encounter construction or congested areas that you may get into trouble. Narrow taxiways without fillets can cause problems also.