Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Overclocking - it's definately worth it

Hello,A few days ago I got my new motherboard (MSI P55-GD85), because I couldn't overclock my old one. My CPU is an i7 860 @ 2.8 GHz.This MSI motherboard is very useful, because you only have to change the CPU base clock in the BIOS, and it automaticly adjusts the CPU VCore for you to the optimum setting.In this way, I already overclocked to 4 GHz, with a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B CPU Cooler. With FSX running, it's about 50C. That's pretty good in my opinion.And now the performance:WIth the CPU at stock speed, I could run Aerosoft Schiphol and the NGX at about 12-15 fps with almost maxed out scenery, 50% traffic. Now with the CPU on 4GHz, I can run this at 20-23 fps on even higher settings!And that all cost me about 220 euros. So if you're thinking about overclocking and/or buying a new motherboard, I can tell you, it's definately worth it!I highly recommend the MSI motherboards, because they are very good to overclock.Don't do it with the stock cooler though!Happy flying,

Yep, I have an i7 920, overclocked to 4GHz, have had it at 4.2. Would hate to have to run FSX at stock CPU frequencies. Best thing I ever did was overclock my i7. I use a Noctua NH-D14, absolutely awesome cooler and super quiet. Although I believe the Silver Arrow now beats it a tad. And the H100 slightly at very high clocks, if you don't mind a jet engine at max rpm in your enclosure, that blows your eardrums. Martin Wilby

Guest 747-fan
Just got my 2500k, performance is great! I haven't over clocked as yet though...
I OC'ed my 2500k on an Asus P8z68-v to 4.5 GHz using this video as a guide:
With my NH-D14 it never gets hotter than 70 celcius. It ran great at stock speeds, but the motherboard's built in OC feature, my computer would restarted two or three times every time I'd boot it up, before it'd settle down and start up normally. OC'ing manually as per the video made everything stable and nice.

I don´t know anything about overclocking...I have a i5 650 @3.2 ghZ. Don´t know how to make that one faster.

I did the same thing with the asus p8p67 and the i2600k, i have a lot of head room for performance, but I leave it for my pmdg jets to feast on. I run on bare default scenery and no ai. Runs great anywhere, even in the big apple. I've opted for a airliner simulator instead of a airport one... fs9 was good at doing both though..

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Hello, A few days ago I got my new motherboard (MSI P55-GD85), because I couldn't overclock my old one. My CPU is an i7 860 @ 2.8 GHz.This MSI motherboard is very useful, because you only have to change the CPU base clock in the BIOS, and it automaticly adjusts the CPU VCore for you to the optimum setting.In this way, I already overclocked to 4 GHz, with a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B CPU Cooler. With FSX running, it's about 50C. That's pretty good in my opinion. And now the performance: WIth the CPU at stock speed, I could run Aerosoft Schiphol and the NGX at about 12-15 fps with almost maxed out scenery, 50% traffic.Now with the CPU on 4GHz, I can run this at 20-23 fps on even higher settings! And that all cost me about 220 euros. So if you're thinking about overclocking and/or buying a new motherboard, I can tell you, it's definately worth it!I highly recommend the MSI motherboards, because they are very good to overclock. Don't do it with the stock cooler though! Happy flying,
I too have Aerosoft Schiphol. Don't know what AI you are using, but i use UT2 and dropping my traffic to around 35% along with just a little bit more to the left with my Autogen, i've got myself to 30FPS at that airport. Nice airport addon by the way. Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

What do you guys think is a safe tempature? I'm running an i7 860 4GHz at about 50-55C in FSX. Is that safe?

Thast wouldn´t be no probs at all! Really good in fact.But check also your GPU temp and d/l a program for free, so you could rise the Gpu fan earlier, when reaching a certain temp. / Leffe

What do you guys think is a safe tempature? I'm running an i7 860 4GHz at about 50-55C in FSX. Is that safe?
Sounds pretty good to me. My cpu is different to yours so i'm not sure what your max is supposed to be but i would say it's a lot higher than 55C.

Rick Hobbs

Thast wouldn´t be no probs at all! Really good in fact.But check also your GPU temp and d/l a program for free, so you could rise the Gpu fan earlier, when reaching a certain temp. / Leffe
Ok nice to hear that! And yes I'm already running nVidia Inspector and manually set the fan speed to 100% to keep my temps under 40CBut anyway, a lower CPU temp would always be nice, and idea how I can adjust my Scythe Mugen 2 fan speed? I set it 40C target in BIOS, but it isn't spinning really fast at all.
Sounds pretty good to me. My cpu is different to yours so i'm not sure what your max is supposed to be but i would say it's a lot higher than 55C.
Higher than 55C? My CPU or yours?

Ok nice to hear that!And yes I'm already running nVidia Inspector and manually set the fan speed to 100% to keep my temps under 40CBut anyway, a lower CPU temp would always be nice, and idea how I can adjust my Scythe Mugen 2 fan speed? I set it 40C target in BIOS, but it isn't spinning really fast at all. Higher than 55C? My CPU or yours?
You are all fine there if the GPU isn´t more than 40C.....that´s very good!You don´t have to do anything about it then./ Leffe

My i7950 @4.4 (1.44vcore) with H70 and twin fans ran at 75 degrees when under load and i wasnt worried in the slightest, my GTX570 running at 900Mhz also hits 75 to 80 degrees, but this is nothing to worry about either!

Ha ha...I also see now you have the "BIG BEN" cooler, A. Vandervelde.....so why are you worried? / Leffe

Higher than 55C? My CPU or yours?
Sorry if i confused you. What i was trying to say was that temps of 50-55C when refering to my cpu are good, as my TMAX is 98c and the rule of thumb for my cpu seems to be that if you are running FSX under 70C, you should be fine (mine runs at 50-52c in FSX). What i was trying to say about your temps with respect to your cpu is, that i'm not sure of the max temps on your cpu, but am sure it is way above 55c, so your temps sound fine to me.

Rick Hobbs