Sign in to follow this  
Kascu

A Joy to share on Saitek Yoke!

For those who dare to take risk and not afraid to void the warrant of their Saitek yoke.... For the last two years, I have never been happy with my Saitek Yoke...Pitch and Roll have been terrible! Now, thanks to Kenneth Weir and his guidance to remove those two springs which control pitch and roll. My Saitek Yoke is now like wings of angel NGX..so smoooth..and responsive!. I can not explain the joy to precisely fly SID on manual. What you need to do is just remove those two springs and replace the big spring which control roll with a cheaper 'rubber band". No need to replace spring which control pitch. Ken prepared a guidance to be found here http://sehlah.com/yoke.pdf. For myself, I just removed spring which control pitch (30 mm spring which can be taken out easily) and Later, easily disconnect from one side the spring which control roll (it is a bit difficult to completely remove it and I did not want to mess up). Then replace the roll tension with a rubber band..The whole process takes less than 15 minutes at your own risk. Thanks again Kenneth.

For those who dare to take risk and not afraid to void the warrant of their Saitek yoke.... For the last two years, I have never been happy with my Saitek Yoke...Pitch and Roll have been terrible! Now, thanks to Kenneth Weir and his guidance to remove those two springs which control pitch and roll. My Saitek Yoke is now like wings of angel NGX..so smoooth..and responsive!. I can not explain the joy to precisely fly SID on manual. What you need to do is just remove those two springs and replace the big spring which control roll with a cheaper 'rubber band". No need to replace spring which control pitch. Ken prepared a guidance to be found here http://sehlah.com/yoke.pdf. For myself, I just removed spring which control pitch (30 mm spring which can be taken out easily) and Later, easily disconnect from one side the spring which control roll (it is a bit difficult to completely remove it and I did not want to mess up). Then replace the roll tension with a rubber band..The whole process takes less than 15 minutes at your own risk. Thanks again Kenneth.
It felt incredibly cheap when I tried this, plus I had issues with calibration. Besides, the whole issue is the pitch axis, not the roll axis! Roll feels fine as it is.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Glad you're enjoying the mod! Leaving the one pitch spring is a compromise of sorts. It can be made smoother by removing both, but I think pulling just the one is smooth enough that it isn't worth the trouble of going any further with it.Zach: was the calibration issue with both axes or just roll? There's a bit of a balancing act between the smoothness you want & keeping enough tension for it to recenter.

How strange.... It's the opposite on mine; pitch is fine - nice and smooth, The roll however, is jerky and hard to turn gently and smoothly. I might still have a go with mod though. I was always tinkering with the CH yoke when I had that.

Zach: was the calibration issue with both axes or just roll? There's a bit of a balancing act between the smoothness you want & keeping enough tension for it to recenter.
It was the roll axis. Somehow I had let the mechanism slip. I spent 2 hours replacing the spring and re centering the gear mechanism, closing, checking, opening, repeating. I replaced ALL of the springs with "nice" quality rubber bands, but as it turns out, the original mechanism felt better to me. I will say pitch was much smoother, but I'd have to really buy something substantial to get enough tension.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I just finished 5 minutes ago applying the mods from the link the OP posted.I love the way the yoke feels now. Very smooth and not jerky with those overpowered springs.

The roll got out of alignment for me too after I took it apart. So bad that I turned the yoke and the aircraft did nothing. I took it apart again and lifted a cam, knew what it was before I started somehow. Now let me say this, before I tinkered I had to keep resetting the roll in the yoke contol panel. Every so often the same axis jumped slightly to the right. I pulled the USB connector out and put it back and all was ok til the next time it randomly did it, it did this from when I first received it from new and untouched by me but I had read about this. Strangely, since I opened it to do the "laggy band" trick and subsequently reopened it to realign for the roll I upset, it hasn`t once jumped out of alignment in the yoke control panel. I can`t help but wonder if it was poorly aligned by the manufacturing process in the first place. I also know it was too stiff and not lubed enough either. I got some of the spare excess nylon lube and rubbed it on the shaft itself (doesn`t sound right somehow). wink.png Steve

Or you could do the less time consuming option and try this. After adding this line to my fsx.cfg file under [Controls] all my planes including the NGX respond smooth as butter. stick_sensitivity_mode=0 Should work fine for the Yoke too.

Or you could do the less time consuming option and try this. After adding this line to my fsx.cfg file under [Controls] all my planes including the NGX respond smooth as butter. stick_sensitivity_mode=0 Should work fine for the Yoke too.
That could be a good addition to the mod. Replacing the springs is only meant for the physical smoothness, shouldn't affect anything on the software side unless a pot isn't aligned during reassembly like what happened above.