Sign in to follow this  
mrdfw

RNAV, ILS, VOR, Visual, What are percents real world?

Pretty well gotten down Rnav and ILS approach in real life anyone have breakdown of each type of approach is used???

Ray Vlasek

In quick sense,VOR approaches are used when there is a VOR station near/on the airport. It's a non-precision approach as it doesn't give you any vertical guidance. The approach can be a straight in, offset or a circling procedure based on the location of the VOR. This approach will bring you in close enough to perform a visual maneuver. The VOR is not very precise on guidance so most will fly them in a RNAV format if the FMC is capable. The RNAV format will be precise and gives you vertical guidance capability(LNAV/VNAV). With the advent of RNAV procedures, These type of instrument approaches will slowly go by way of the dinosaurs. The visual approach is basically arriving by visual traffic pattern or vectors. You will find that the visual approach is faster. I often request a visual approach when I have the airport insight when I'm running a little behind. This way the controller doesn't vector you towards the FAF. This can save up to 5 to 10 minutes based on the approach. I still leave the ILS tuned and displayed for reference if available. For more info, use google. Some airports have converted to RNAV only approaches. They are cheaper as there is no equipment to maintain. I still see NDB approaches, but they will be the first to go.