Sign in to follow this  
mark22

Best night environment scenery freeware or payware?

Just a quick question, I want to install a package to upgrade the night lighting in FS9 and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations before I download and install or buy anything. From what I have seen, a good payware one is Zinertek's Night Environment 2010 which looks very good judging by the video. But what about freeware? I have seen a couple in the Avsim Library, one called Ultimate Night Environment by Maurice Roenick but it looks quite an old product (2005), although it could still be quite good. What I am looking for really is not just a night environment product that will just illuminate landmarks but more so roads, that's why I kind of like Zinertek's Night Environment video as it shows the roads illuminated like street/motorway lighting. Or does this lighting only affect cities, if I was flying at night in more rural areas would there still be good night lighting? If anyone has tried any of these products, be it freeware or payware I would be very interested to know what they think. Thanks

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

Thanks, but does this product just illuminate landmarks as the pictures show, ideally I would like roads to be illumianted as well to give the impression of motorway/street lights...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

Thanks, but does this product just illuminate landmarks as the pictures show, ideally I would like roads to be illumianted as well to give the impression of motorway/street lights...
Ground Environment Pro will do that for you. Add REX to that and you will have a totally new simulation! Personally, I wouldn't bother with a stand-alone night environment payware program if you don't already have REX and GE Pro. They will give you what you want for night effects but will totally transform just about everything else as well...

Best night environment add-on I have is a 7watt Ever Ready low energy red light bulb ,makes night flying (complete dark night otherwise monitor gives eye strain) all rather ambienty, chugmogulous and most excellent indeed.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Best night environment add-on I have is a 7watt Ever Ready low energy red light bulb ,makes night flying (complete dark night otherwise monitor gives eye strain) all rather ambienty, chugmogulous and most excellent indeed.Andy
Good idea Andy. I use a low watt desk lamp but a red bulb would be much more "authentic" and add to the ambience. I'll get one the next time I'm at the store... Applause.gif

Hi mark22 and everyone. >>..the night lighting in FS9….<< >>but does this product just illuminate landmarks as the pictures show, ideally I would like roads to be illumianted as well to give the impression of motorway/street lights...<< Look for "litroads" ?, or search for "avcomware" here at AVSIM and see if it helps.Here is the readme.txt. Post here if you cannot find it and I will Email it to you. TV FS2004 Brighter Highways and Roads Nighttime Textures. File uploaded with permission of the original author. Hello. Here are some edited default FS2004 textures that make the Highways and Roads considerably more lit up at night.I did not do the editing. I am only the submitter of these to the library.The actual author said that he only submits 100% complete original work but encouraged me to upload them. I have hadthem installed for a while now and really like them. So much so that I overwrote the Bill Lyons replacement roadtextures that I had installed a long time ago with these and have now decided to go ahead and submit them to filelibraries. I take responsibility for any technical support or questions regarding these textures. There should be noneed for technical support though as the installation and usage of these textures is very straightforward. Just a small note. These files are all exactly the same texture. The only thing different about each fileis the filename. --------------------------------------------------------------------- To install: First, in case you don't like these new textures you should backup your original files that are of the same name asthese located in your Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\texture folder. This is ofcourse optional. You don't have to back up your originals if you don't want to. I highly doubt you want to put your original texture files back. Even though this was probably a fairly simpleedit the idea behind them is grand, they are a great modification, and I have had zero issues using them. Next just highlight/select the texture files only in WinZip and then unzip them to your 'Flight Simulator 9' folderwith the 'Use folder names' option checked. Overwrite your original files when prompted. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done real or percieved by the use of these files. Use at your own risk. --------------------------------------------------------------------- May you have safe and spectacular flights, Jimmy RichardsOne Tin Soldier linuxrh@comcast.net

Thanks for the replies, however I have already bought Zinertek's Ultimate night environment 2010 so it's a bit late now. I will consider the above options if I decide to have a change. Thanks again.