Hi again In my new PC I forgot something. Should I buy a mobo with or without VGA? It makes difference for overcloking an i7-2600k? ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA1155 DDR3-32GB SATA3 USB3 GLAN - without VGAASUS P8Z68 DLX LGA1155 DDR3 ST3RD USB3 GBLAN - without VGAASUS P8Z68-M PRO LGA1155 DDR3 ST3RD USB3 GBLAN - with VGA RIght now, I am thinking on the first one. harpsi

If by VGA you mean it has onboard graphics.... you don't care because you'll be buying a nice GTX570/580 right?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If by VGA you mean it has onboard graphics.... you don't care because you'll be buying a nice GTX570/580 right?
What means onboard graphics? And yes, GTX580 ;) harpsi

Guest jahman

"On-Board Graphics" means you motherboard sports a graphics chip. Cheers, - jahman.

"On-Board Graphics" means you motherboard sports a graphics chip. Cheers, - jahman.
Well, graphic chip... still didn´t understand. Sorry :| harpsi

ASUS NVIDIA ENGTX580 DCII 1536 MB DDR5 PCIE2andASUS NVIDIA GTX580 MATRIX 1536 MB DDR5 PCIE2What´s the difference and which is better?

Guest jahman
Well, graphic chip... still didn´t understand. Sorry :| harpsi
"Graphics chip" means a chip (a little black/grey square component on your motherboard) that does graphics for you so you don't need a graphics card from nVidia or AMD/ATI. Cheers, - jahman.

"Graphics chip" means a chip (a little black/grey square component on your motherboard) that does graphics for you so you don't need a graphics card from nVidia or AMD/ATI. Cheers, - jahman.
But it's mainly for office computers, or people who simply browse the internet. Us gamers need nice video cards (explanation for OP)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest jahman
But it's mainly for office computers, or people who simply browse the internet. Us gamers need nice video cards (explanation for OP)
Yes, of course, but he's asking what it is and that's what it is. Cheers, - jahman.

Right ;) I will buy the matrix one because the processor on it has a little bit more speed. ;) Thanks for your advices. harpsi

The matrix and the standard (well it still has a huge cooler) are pretty much the same. Same GPU, same VRAM. The Matrix is already factory OCed and will allow for better OCing probably but that won't really help FSX. Just go for the DirectCU ii, you won't be disappointed.

Well, in this case VGA just means if the mobo has a VGA and DVI connector. None of those mobos have onboard graphics, but all of them can use the IGP in the Sandy Bridge CPU's.Those without a DVI connector in the mobo can still use the IGP through the graphics card's DVI connector with Lucid Virtu. At least I think that's how it works

I never thought these mobo's had onboard graphics. Since when did they ever. I thought of using virtu but the main GPU is still working. I want a way to turn off the GPU when not gaming.

I never thought these mobo's had onboard graphics. Since when did they ever. I thought of using virtu but the main GPU is still working. I want a way to turn off the GPU when not gaming.
What mobos? All Z68s can utilize the Sandy Bridge GPU (on board graphics) and always have. Or was that not the question? Besides the obvious reasons, why would you need to turn the GPU off while not gaming? I'm just curious! Between that and your love of SRT, these two "features" are pretty much useless for most any simulation enthusiast/gamers (SRT being slightly less useless). Besides there being no real benefits of using Virtu in IGP mode, there's a slight performance hit and it's irritating to have to add some game/sim .exes to the list. All of this being purely my opinion. But my discrete card makes no noise at all when in use with the auto fan setting, doesn't use enough electricity for me to notice in the electric bill, and my performance surely isn't helped when ran through Virtu's virtualization software. Oh, and the whole point of IGP mode (i-mode) with Virtue is to be able to "turn off" the discrete GPU and use the SB chip's GPU when the discrete isn't needed.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

What mobos? All Z68s can utilize the Sandy Bridge GPU (on board graphics) and always have. Or was that not the question? Besides the obvious reasons, why would you need to turn the GPU off while not gaming? I'm just curious! Between that and your love of SRT, these two "features" are pretty much useless for most any simulation enthusiast/gamers (SRT being slightly less useless). Besides there being no real benefits of using Virtu in IGP mode, there's a slight performance hit and it's irritating to have to add some game/sim .exes to the list. All of this being purely my opinion. But my discrete card makes no noise at all when in use with the auto fan setting, doesn't use enough electricity for me to notice in the electric bill, and my performance surely isn't helped when ran through Virtu's virtualization software. Oh, and the whole point of IGP mode (i-mode) with Virtue is to be able to "turn off" the discrete GPU and use the SB chip's GPU when the discrete isn't needed.
No, I thought these people were trying to say the actual mobo had the onboard GPU. Might just be me but thats what it sounded like. I would be turning off the main GPU just to save power. It uses a lot of it. It makes no noise when on auto fan but a fair bit at 100%. I will let you know how SRT works when I get it after the monitor. I will be having a 120GB SSD with 20GB for caching and the rest for FSX. I know people say well you still got a slow HDD, well the HDD actually has nothing to do with the speeds. All the things that you most commonly use, go to the SSD. Its like a kitchen, everything that is used most is easily accessible and what is not may take some looking for.