Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Forget Keywest! Santos here I come!

Does anyone know where in the manuals i can find about how to properly operate in short fields like Santos Dumont(Specially the maximum Takeoff and Landing Weight)?

Wow! Looks like the brazilian comunity here is bigger that I thought! Nice too see it. Gabriel, I've had the oportunity to talk to Sean about this ride he had to the airport. He told me he went with a guy from Rio, but didn't tell me who. I actually got surprised when you said the person was you. Anyway, would you belive if I told you that, even living in Rio, I never went to Escola Naval to spot the planes? Ever! Sometimes when I drive at Rio-Niterói bridge I keep looking around too see if I find any planes. I just start drooling everytime I see them passing above me to land on RWY 20L. I've spotten some planes at Aterro do Flamengo as well. I'll have to find a day to go Santos Dumont just to see the planes. My parents ask me what is the fun of staying there for hours just to see aiplanes landing and taking off, but they just don't understand how big that is for me. For us I should say. I could spend the entire day there, from the time the airport opens to the time it closes.

Matheus Mafra

Matheus As a 'carioca' myself I'd suggest you to get a boat and take your spots near the runway by sea. I have done it a few times and was a mix of scaring and fascinating to see those birds roaring over your head. Of course be aware to respect some distance as per Capitania dos Portos rules and obviously not to be 'blown to water'... LOL.gif Best regards Schmid Oh! I forgot! And what about the spots you can take from Sugar Loaf (more precisely at Morro da Urca) when the birds are landing at 02R!

Wow! Looks like the brazilian comunity here is bigger that I thought! Nice too see it.Gabriel, I've had the oportunity to talk to Sean about this ride he had to the airport. He told me he went with a guy from Rio, but didn't tell me who. I actually got surprised when you said the person was you.
Matheus, nice to see you around here. Sean is a GREAT guy. We spend all morning on RWY 02R, after that, we had the opportunity to chat a lot in the afternoon after lunch together with his wife (which ihas a geat personality too).Do you have time to go there? If positive, just let me know so we can meet there! You'll be SPEECHLESS!!!!!!! Got to take a photograph of your face staring the first plane! LOL!
Hi Gabriel, Now that is what I call a spotting position! The nearest I have seen in Europe to this was in Zurich, where the round airport bus trips used to stop between 2 intersecting runways to enable photographs to be taken.
Hi Mervyn! Well, if you come to Rio, please don't forget to drop me a line! I'll be happy to be your host and take you there! This airport is UNIQUE!
Hi VARIG,Nice hear brasilians active in this forum like you. I was preparing my explanation regarding this little confusion but you explained very well regarding our SBRJ.
Hey Silvio, nice to see a fellow brazilian here too! Have you been there already? If negative, let's match our agendas to meet there someday!
Looked at your Modeling of the airport. Looks like you started that a long time ago. You have any date for when you will be finished with it?
Hello Paul, my SBRJ will be completed within a year from now, that's a safe guess. A risky one would be within 3-6 months, due the fact that my time is short to model/texturize/etc. I ask you to register on terra-brasilis.org/forum to stay tuned about progress. Thank you for your interest on my scenery! I'm sure you'll like it.
Hello Gabriel, nice to know that we have guys like you around here!, I'm Brazilian too and I look forward to some of the material you have and by the way I'll be heading to Rio at some point next year("gotta go see mommy"), and if you're still on the mood to take us on a ride around Santos Dumont that would be great! good to meet you!
Hello Leonardo! Plan your trip to Rio and don't forget to tell me the dates. I'm sure we can manage to go there together. Nice to meet you too!I have everything you need to fly around SBRJ. Maps, charts, procedures... Just drop me a line if you need something!

Matheus As a 'carioca' myself I'd suggest you to get a boat and take your spots near the runway by sea. I have done it a few times and was a mix of scaring and fascinating to see those birds roaring over your head. Of course be aware to respect some distance as per Capitania dos Portos rules and obviously not to be 'blown to water'... LOL.gif Best regards Schmid Oh! I forgot! And what about the spots you can take from Sugar Loaf (more precisely at Morro da Urca) when the birds are landing at 02R!
Are you talking about this ones? I took them on June 10th, 2008. That was a good day! sdu_11.jpgsdu_9.jpgsdu_6.jpgsdu_5.jpgsdu_4.jpgsdu_3.jpgsdu_2.jpgsdu_1.jpg

I was thinking of that when I was looking at the map of the area. If the planes were flying into RWY 20L, a boat would be great. I've had the opportunity to be at Sugar Loaf when the planes were landing at 02R. I used those telescopes to look at them. It's been quite a few years since I went to SL the last time and when I'd been there I was still a guy who knew nothing about airplanes.
Matheus, nice to see you around here. Sean is a GREAT guy. We spend all morning on RWY 02R, after that, we had the opportunity to chat a lot in the afternoon after lunch together with his wife (which ihas a geat personality too).Do you have time to go there? If positive, just let me know so we can meet there! You'll be SPEECHLESS!!!!!!! Got to take a photograph of your face staring the first plane! LOL!
LOL.gif I can imagine. That would be great. I'll find a weekend to go there, but can't set a date now because I have school from Monday all the way to Saturday, although they are in a strike now. I study at Colegio Pedro II. The strike has been up for almost a month now. But let's see. I'll let you know.

Matheus Mafra

Are you talking about this ones? I took them on June 10th, 2008. That was a good day! sdu_11.jpgsdu_9.jpgsdu_6.jpgsdu_5.jpgsdu_4.jpgsdu_3.jpgsdu_2.jpgsdu_1.jpg
Super nice pictures. I hope I can travel there some time. What a spectacular view. If you are planning on doing scenery, please let me know. I would be interested. Take care.

Flew SBRJ to SAEZ last night just barely cleared 02R. 737-800WL, 162 Pax, 12,000 Cargo, 20,000 lbs Fuel. That was enough to get me to SAEZ with a 45 min reserve. I can see why people love this airport. It will always be scary on both landing and takeoffs cause one little screw up and your Shark Food.

I can see why people love this airport. It will always be scary on both landing and takeoffs cause one little screw up and your Shark Food.
Well, not exactly because we don't have sharks on the coast here. At least I think we don't... Whistle.gif Anyway, there's a case of a little business jet that overshoot the runway at landing and ended in the water on the other side. I don't rember when exactly, but I do know it was a biz jet. I should have been around a year or so ago.

Matheus Mafra

Well, not exactly because we don't have sharks on the coast here. At least I think we don't... Whistle.gif Anyway, there's a case of a little business jet that overshoot the runway at landing and ended in the water on the other side. I don't rember when exactly, but I do know it was a biz jet. I should have been around a year or so ago.
Shark Food was a figure of speech cause it's near the ocean. tongue.png You mean this one? http://xfinity.comca...ast/1565162613/

It was the Learjet 55 PT-LXO, it happened on Aug 12th, 2010.The Lear had an extremely rare full Hyd+Elec failure just after VR and could not even tell ATC about that. They lost flaps, brakes, reverses, everything. It's really "interesting" to see this happening cause it's really rare. It's the worst case scenario: just after VR, HYD + ELEC, on extremely short RWY!

Funny thing is I don't think those Controllers at Rio De Janeiro like American Airlines too much. Either that or maybe the controllers online at the time did not know english. Everytime they see me coming they logoff! Hmmmph.gifLOL.gif

Shark Food was a figure of speech cause it's near the ocean. tongue.png You mean this one? http://xfinity.comca...ast/1565162613/
Yeah. I know that tongue.png It was supposed to be a joke. And yes, that's the accident I was talking about. I didn't remember what was the cause.
Funny thing is I don't think those Controllers at Rio De Janeiro like American Airlines too much. Either that or maybe the controllers online at the time did not know english. Everytime they see me coming they logoff! Hmmmph.gifLOL.gif
Many controllers here don't speak English well, or not at all. Even real controllers speak English in a level below what it should be. It's surprising that we haven't had any incident because of miscomunication yet. In the virtual skyes that happens frequently. The problem is not with AA, but with native English speakers. I'm a controller on IVAO with 100+ hours of control and never had the luck of having an american or british pilot in my airspace. I get some brazilians who speak English quite well, but no americans or brits. The reason for that should be that almost all north american and british pilots fly on VATSIM.

Matheus Mafra