Sign in to follow this  
Gaiiden

Stumped with landclass water problem

Hey folks, I just noticed a problem flying around one of my airports today, 4N1 Green Lake in northern NJ: texError.jpg I modeled this airport a while ago and you can see in the first gallery shots that the water textures were fine back then. Here's what I've done to try and resolve this so far:

• I disabled all my custom scenery layers to revert the terrain back to default. This worked, so I went back and started re-enabling bit by bit. I found that the only thing that seemed to make a difference was whether MegaSceneryEarth was enabled or not as you can see in this screenshot. The removal of no other layers (like UTX) had an effect
  • I re-installed all REX water textures. No effect.
  • I re-installed all GEX textures. No effect
  • I deleted all entries in my terrain.cfg file following the autogen entries to reset it to default as I had tweaked it a little while back (adjusting the index count accordingly). No effect
  • I uninstalled and re-installed these MSE tile areas. No effect.
  • I noticed these textures looked fall-ish so I tried changing seasons (even though I'm currently still in Summer). No effect (cept the textures themselves changed seasons, lol)

So at this point I am stumped and looking for advice. So far the only thing that seems to make a difference is disabling the MSE tile layers that affect this region of scenery, and I have not yet come up with a reason as to why this is. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks in advance :) P.S. - I'm not emtrely sure I reverted my terrain.cfg file back to default so if anyone has a clean copy can you email it to me? EDITED

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

You seem to be missing an hydro-poly for the lakes.

Hi Drew,For privacy reasons I've deleted your email address.Here is the default Terrain.cfg for you: DELETED

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Gee David, i;m glad the fsx.cfg is not that long. I drank a coffe and 2 chocky bikkies whilst scrolling that.LOL.gif

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

thx David. Is the posting of email not allowed by some rule? I don't care if people know my email address and spam isn't a issue for me. You can remove the CFG text to shorten up the thread - I tried pasting it into my terrain.cfg and it didn't have any effect. Still stumped :(

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Sorry about that Drew.Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the original file.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

no no, it's not the file. I copied what you posted and tried it and it didn't work so doesn't seem to be terrain.cfg. I'm clueless as to what else could be affecting this

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

So far the only thing that seems to make a difference is disabling the MSE tile layers that affect this region of scenery, and I have not yet come up with a reason as to why this is. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks in advance :)
There are two default hydro-polys for those lakes: 4n1d.jpg Presumably MSE has excluded them but not replaced them to suit the photo-textures.

Still stuck here. I'm hoping it'll come to me in a dream or something at this point :( Luckily it's not too widespread a problem - at least I haven't noticed it anywhere else yet.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Until that lucky night you can pretend that the water is extremely dirty....

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Update - the cool folk over at FSDeveloper pointed me to the TmfViewer tool so I could check the MSE water polys and sure enough they were missing along with a lot of others: masks.jpg So I thought maybe my MSE install was corrupted so I uninstalled and reinstalled again. Checking the scenery files revealed the same missing water poly issue so I went back to pondering how the hell I was able to see water there a few months ago?? Then I realized it was because I had my Ultimate Terrain water layers on top of my MegaScenery Earth layers. So I shuffled the layers around and presto - I had water again. It's not a 100% perfect solution - the MSE scenery has a lot of smaller ponds/lakes too small to see in the above photo masked out but without a water poly included, and UT doesn't manage to catch them all, but at least the big ones which are more noticeable are now properly showing water like they should.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Glad you got it sorted! It's index important to make sure that you have got your layers all set correctly: mesh - water/road/etc - photoreal scenery - airports.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case