Sign in to follow this  

Wilco A2002 - Don't buy it!!!

If your goal was to get realistic airports, I think that is a somewhat wiser choice. I don't own all of them, but the ones I do are amazing. But just one caveat here: Simflyers can be quite a burden on your framerates. I sometimes do my landing at the bigger airports such as KLAX with the scenery settings a little lower, otherwise even my machine (4Ghz, 1024 MB RAM, 64MB card) has some trouble with it.Also, one other hint: there is a file on avsim which has overlays for all of the Simflyer aiports in the US. Amazing, I can recommend it (sorry I don't recall the filename).I need to add sommething else: since I was the one starting this thread and since I believe that the tone my first message illustrates all my disappointment about the poor realism of the airports, I just want to state again that I don't want to do any PR for any other developers or harm Wilco. I liked their previous products, but A2k2 does not match up with stuff from LAGO, UK 2000, German Airports, and many others. Curiously awaiting the first "official" review on FLightsim or avsim.Chris

Chris,From your post, it looks like you have conflicting sceneries. For instance there are 15 gates only in the International terminal in O'Hare, there are no lousy buildings around CDG (all have original texturing),... Therefore I iknvite you to check again if you do not have multiple layers (I have seen several screenshots posted with this problem)...As well, the 737 has got, for the first time, a 3D active cockpit technology (remember to switch the lights on!) and FSNAT can be anything but a gimmik. Or having refueling trucks, gates moving , luggage trucks coming towards you when you want, behaving exactly like in the real airport life,... could be called a gimik. BTW, more scripts and tutorial will be available soon for download.Did you explore all of this? Did you try to set turbulences and set your take off from a 3D cockpit, or take the passenger view, turn on the fasten seat belt light in the cabin. Well, I believe it is only the start of something new.Just to say, that Airport 2002 has got a lot to offer and to experience IMHO and is worth investigating a little.Hope it will help you enjoy this product a little more.Michael RenousWilco Publishinghttp://www.wilcopub.com

Sorry to insist: the airports look terrible. I have checked for multiple layers, I have had the scenery settings at max. And the "15 gates at KORD" refer to the AFCAD file, not to the airport. The airports have more gates, but less than in real life - an easy way to check that would be to use the parking charts that were included for some of the airports in the package (something that I liked a lot). And quite frankly, this is the second reply telling me that I have done something wrong with my computer, my settings, my whatever - nothing of that. I start getting a little tired of being lectured when it's not me the dummie but the scenery is cheap. If it was my computer setting that was wrong, then I can go by the screenshots and simply use my eyes. I live in Paris, I fly in and out of LFPG about 3 times a week, I go to KORD about once a month, to EDDM about once every two weeks, so I know what those places look like. Looking at the screenshots, one sees that the buildings are much higer than the tails of the planes - that is pure phantasy. On the satellites of Terminal 1 in Paris, there are only 3 airbridges - that is a cheap simplification. Real life has many more. There are so many buildings on the airport grounds missing or with shapes and textures that do not bear anby resemblence with reality. Munich: buildings much too high. KORD: gates missing. Overall, the airports look bland and deserted, some more, some less. I could go on and on and on. All of those things are visible in screenshots around the internet, so it has nothing to do with my computer.In sum: the reason why I bought this scenery was for getting high quality sceneries. I did not. All I am saying is that I find it quite arrogant from Wilco to make a lot of noise about "as real as it gets" when their own judgement should tell them that they lag other products in the market. I recognise the merits of FSNAT, but again, for a scenery lover like me, it's no consolation if I have lorries driving around a place which looks bland. So, again: if anyone wants high quality scenery on the same level as SimFlyers, LAGO, etc, don't buy A2002. As simple as that.

Largo,>About AFCAD and the problem of the gates on KORD. I >personally know the guy who has created the AI files for >Airport 2002. And he told me that the big issue is to make >A2002 playable on all computers using FS2002. If you >increase the number of gates, your increase the number of >aircraft and so the frame rate is very low. Aehm...our ( mine ) Honolulu scenery, published by LAGO,has ALL the 61 ( sixty-one ) gates active for AI traffic, and is using custom AI planes with real world schedules, without having to modify or reduce the schedules because of frame rate problems. Of course, the airport was so incredibly fast on its own, that we had the luxury of adding all the planes we wanted without much problems.regards,

I saw Airport 2002 in GameStop (my local game store) today and picked it up to have a look at the box. After reading the forums here, I definitely wasn't going to buy it anyway. But just for argument's sake, I asked the general manager of the store what he thinked of it (knowing fully well that he isn't a flight-simulator fanatic like me....).His response: The few people that bought this game complained bitterly to me. Dont waste your time, it stinks.I laughed, handed the box to him and went on my merry way.Lagaz811

He Creber,I agree with you! I maded 2 flights, number 1 flight from EDDM to EGLL. Just have the city of London inside my system freesed for about 30 sec and i didn't know what happend. It was Airport 2002. I tried a flight from LOWI to EDDM. The same thing again. Oke, i still had some thougts about my system... It is a bit outdated.. :-))My configuration:AMD 2000+512 MB PC2700 DDR RamAsus 733 Motherboard with VIA chipsetLeadtek GF3 128 MB DDRWindows XP Pro When i use Airports 2002 and land on 8L of EDDM just 2 miles out of the runway buildings will start to appear. When taxiing to the gate FSNAT objects are driving trough my plane?Documentation of FSNAT is worse!If somebody think i have not configured my system on the right way.. I have about 20-30 Frames on EHAM from the NL2000 Sceneryteam with full IA on en about 30 AI compagniesschedules (with TTools) in my system. When i switch of AI i have about 40 - 50 frames. In airport 2002 i'm glad to have 10 frames...Just some thougts.....Capt. PeterPS i fly the PSS A320 Airbus

Hey BillPap, or Phillyboy,that comment was just flat out politcally incorrect and extremely naive and ignorant. Why should he watch his language (structure, grammar, mechanics...). Just because you speak English doesn't mean he was wrong in anything he said. Just cause you didn't understand him doesn't mean you can criticize him for being wrong. I'm sorry you don't agree with what he says, but you don't have to understand him (or anyone for that matter) for him (anyone) to be correct. Justa little lesson for you...I found that extremely immature and not very weel thought out.Zach

Look, I even spelled well wrong (weel :) ). Uh oh, I better I watch it, someone might get on me for that..tsk tsk. You know, whether you and your wife speak English and Bulgarian, and whether or not you understand that everyone might mean something different than what you interpret...you still cut him down for what he said and that alone is just soooo not cool.

a) I think he was very politely explaining to Largo that he might be misunderstood. He did not tell him off at all I think.:( What has your comment to do with this topic? Do you have anything to add about Airport 2002?CR

Says enough. Here's a person who looses sales over a statement he makes about a product...One might argue that he has more to loose from dissatisfied customers but then again most customers don't visit any single store often enough to be missed if they go elsewhere.

Yes, my statement regarding A2002 is that d.i.c.k.h.e.a.d. people like hims houldn't be flying it :)

Unfortunately I agree with Chris. I am a person who enjoys flying around in FS2002 on my free time. (free time means an hour in the evening and a couple hours on the weekends) I thought that airport 2002 was going to be a great program, but it turns out to be a joke. The idea of airport 2002 is great. But in practice, it isnt worth the money. This is the first product that I purchased from Wilco Publishing, and unfortunately, it shall be the last. I dont have time to fiddle with the program to make the gates, trucks or anything else work. And what's up with having to have it in slew mode?? At times, I would be sitting in the aircraft, then hit pause, then all of a sudden, I would be on one of the roads moving like one of the "FSNAT" cars, only I am in a 737! One time, I was just sitting on the tarmac and a 747 came in for a landing through the hangars. And yes, I had setup my system correctly. In fact, I thought that Wilco Publishing couldnt have put out such a poor product, that I completely purged FS2002 and reloaded it and Airport 2002. And the problem still persisted. Like I said before, Airport 2002 is a wonderful idea, but, I think that Microsoft will have to come out with something like airport 2002 before I buy something like this again.Thanks,Brian

Michael from Wilco:You have probably just made your biggest commercial error. There comes a time for every business when they get something wrong. It is never nice, nor very easy to admit you've got it wrong. I suppose you did not take the time to read all the posts, but rose to defend your inferiour product. That made you come across as rather arrogant, and even worse indifferent to the views of your paying customers. Frankly, that is the sort of attitude one would expect from certain freeware developers when faced with criticism, not from a company trying to make a living.I had pre-ordered your 320PIC. Guess what, following your post that order has been cancelled. There is no way I will pay good money for a product, only to find that it is being supported by arrogant and ill-informed persons like you.There is only one way for you to correct this. You will have to offer all costumers a full, or at least partial, refund of their purchase. Then go back to the dark caves where your developers sit, give them a right good bollocking and re-release the product at a standard worth spending money for.As someone said, add-on's are bought mainly by hard-core simmers, not your casual Joe firing the sim up twice a year. If you want to make a living in this business, you'd better sharpen up your act and deliver products that are second-to-none. Secondly, when someone offer you criticism do not retort with "you're doing it right". Have you no commercial sense? You acknowledge the costumers concerns, ask them how they set-up the system and you DO NOT EVER tell a costumer he's stupid. This is called costumer service and is the foundation of repeat business. You see, otherwise we'll simply choose another supplier and you'll be out of business. You will not see any repeat business from this here simmer before I see an apology, a promise of refund and a pledge to correct the add-on and bring it to state-of-the-art standards. But with your attitude you probably couldn't give a toss, right.PSI'm not a native English speaker, apologies for gramma etc errors.

Would it not be a good idea to politely ask for a refund rather than 'badmouth' the product before Wilco has had chance to correct your problem ?(Not a wise-##### comment just experience! :))

I do agree!!!Got Airports 2002,seen the result and ask for a refund.I didn't even get an answer for my mail.i ordered the A320,the link was wrong and i couldn't download it.My order was on 18 of February,today i still do not have my product...but Wilco got my money!!That was my very last purchase from that company.olivier