Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Commercial version of US Navy FSX simulation?

I was at an aviation museum in Denver today and saw on display a US Nay aircraft and aircraft carrier on a FSX platform. Really cool. I thought the name of the addon to FSX was "VMS", but I hadn't heard of it, and can't find it now. The museum is at the old Lowry AFB, and is manned by various ROTC people and other volunteers (Wings over the Rockies). It's very well done, and contains many aircraft in a huge hanger (other than a B52 that is on display outside). As well as the many aircraft there was this one FSX station that had an aircraft landing on a carrier, as well as taking off etc., looked really cool with a nice HUD as well. The person I spoke to said that it was a commercialized version of a US Navy product based on FSX called "VMS" (and I could be wrong about the name). Thanks for any info if anyone has a clue of what I am talking about (which I don't, obviously :) ). Thanks, Bruce.

Not yet released. Cheers, - jahman.
That is just the tacpac an addon that will enable combat ops in the FSX environment. The F-18 has been out for awhile in both platforms. It is spectacular. You can fire missiles both air and ground and they hit their target but they have no impact other than dropping off your radar. The F-18 when paired with the freeware AI carries and Nimitz package are amazing.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks everyone. Yes, this is the product, I was impressed at what this product will do and the system details. I'm not much into military sim products, but this one has so much functionality.The guy had this product on a carrier, he mentioned that the carrier was different software. @ phoenixphire You mentioned the default ui carrier and the Nimitz addon. I have the " deluxe" version of FSX, but not the "Accelerator" enhancement, do I need Accelerator for the carriers to be present, or to run the Nimitz addon?Thanks again,Bruce.

Yeah you need Acceleration... either via a separate purchase, or the FSX Gold version (which might be cheaper - gold contains deluxe and acceleration)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest jahman

FSX Gold (Deluxe + Acceleration) is $30 here. Cheers, - jahman.

Thanks again everyone. I'm not sure that I want to uninstall FSX SP2 and reinstall FSX with Acceleration. I think I will try the Tomcat forst and see if I still want to get the carriers... Thanks again, much appreciated. Bruce.

Thanks- is it possible to buy Acceleration as a stand alone product? And if so, can I un-install SP1 and SP2, then install Acceleration without reinstalling add-ons? (seems a long shot :) ). Thanks, Bruce.

Guest jahman

Is reinstalling of FSX the only reason you want to buy Acceleration as a stand-alone product? I ask because FSX Gold is really two separate stand-alone products (FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration, each with their own activation key), so you can just go ahead and get FSX Gold for $30 and then only install Acceleration. Cheers, - jahman.

Thanks jahman, I wondered that. I will need to see if my simulation tastes for carriers/military ops are tweaked enough by the VRS Hornet :) But if I did what you suggest as an option- I assume I would first uninstall SP2 (then SP1 too?), then install Acceleration. What about all of the addons that I have installed that require SP2, would they still work without having to re-install them? Maybe Acceleration is just a new version of the FSX.EXE and it doesn't matter.... Thanks, Bruce.

Guest jahman

I would uninstall SP2 as it "competes" with Acceleration. You're fine with SP1 though as it is superceded by Accel. Also I don't think your AP2-dependent aircraft will be affected by uninstalling SP2 as long as you do install Accel. Please note these are my opinions and are what I would do in your situation, as I went the FSX-SP1-Accel route (skipped SP2). Perhaps other with actual experience uninstalling SP2 might want to chime in. Cheers, - jahman.