Sign in to follow this  
DOGANG KIM

Question) How to change from FAC,G/P mode to VOR/LOC, G/S mode.

I planed to use FAC and G/P mode to land. And FAC and G/P mode was activated. But I thought my condition is not good, so I did try to change the mode to LAND3 mode (VOR/LOC, G/S) for full auto land. And I did input correct ILS FRQ and I clicked the VOR/LOC button on MCP pannel. But nothing chagnes. Still FAC G/P mode was activated, and at 500 feet I manualy controled my airplane and landed. Sorry my poor English. FAC G/P -----------> VOR/LOC G/S how? :) Thank you for watching my question.

To get both VOR/LOC and G/S, you need to hit the APP button. I can't remember if the modes can be switched once they're active but try the APP button instead. Also, am I correct in assuming you had the F/D 1 as the master and you put the ILS in on the #1 Nav Radio?

To get both VOR/LOC and G/S, you need to hit the APP button. I can't remember if the modes can be switched once they're active but try the APP button instead. Also, am I correct in assuming you had the F/D 1 as the master and you put the ILS in on the #1 Nav Radio?
FAC and G/P was activated, and then I did input correct ILS FRQ to both NAV radio, and both F/D was on. I heared moss signal. And I did click VOR/LOC button and APP button too. But nothing changed. I think maybe.. once FAC and G/P are activated, the system can't be change to another mode. Sorry my poor English.

When the ILS is captured (Localizer and Glideslope) the Autopilot goes in a single channel approach with one Autopilot engaged or dual land approach from 1500 ft AGL with a second A/P engage the light on the MCP APP button will go out. If this light is out it's not possible to changeover from APP to VOR/LOC mode or to any other A/P mode. If you want to change you have to disconnect the A/P and make a go-around or land manually. If mode light on MCP mode P/B are lit you can change. if they are not lit anymore you can not change. It's also not possible to engage the VOR/LOC and APP mode at the same time You want to engage APP when to make a dual land approach and engage the second A/P. VOR/LOC mode only capture's the ILS localizer not the Glideslope.

Mark Scheerman

Boeing 737-6/7/8/900 Ground Engineer

When the ILS is captured (Localizer and Glideslope) the Autopilot goes in a single channel approach with one Autopilot engaged or dual land approach from 1500 ft AGL with a second A/P engage the light on the MCP APP button will go out. If this light is out it's not possible to changeover from APP to VOR/LOC mode or to any other A/P mode. If you want to change you have to disconnect the A/P and make a go-around or land manually. If mode light on MCP mode P/B are lit you can change. if they are not lit anymore you can not change. It's also not possible to engage the VOR/LOC and APP mode at the same time You want to engage APP when to make a dual land approach and engage the second A/P. VOR/LOC mode only capture's the ILS localizer not the Glideslope.
I believe you can cancel your approach mode by turning the FDs off and back on again.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

No, the F/D (Flight Director) switch's just shows the F/D bars on the PFD. When the Flight Director switch's are OFF the F/D bars indication will be removed from the PFD, when the F/D switch's are ON the F/D bars will show again on the PFD. You can also make a dual land approach with F/D switch's in OFF.

Mark Scheerman

Boeing 737-6/7/8/900 Ground Engineer