Sign in to follow this  
AirbusCG

How to overclock?

I'm thinking of overclocking my CPU and would like to know what I have to have a look at befor I do it and what else is important.First of all, I must still get a new motherboard because my old one doesn't let me overclock my CPU. Which one would be best for an I5-760? I still need enough space on it for 8GB RAM (4X 2GB) my GTX 460 and my USB card.Secondly, what do you think how high I can get my CPU clock? Would 4GHz be possible with this CPU?Next, I need to know which cooler I'd need for such high clock rates? Thanks for your answers and your helpEmi

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

I have an old dirt cheap asrock P55DE3 (I think 55€ or so) ... and will fit everything you asked forthere are way better out there, but even this cheap piece of hardware can do OC without problems and with predefined profiles for OC ...just go for something like asus, gigabyte, msi or so and you cant go wrong most of the times ... 1156 boards getting rare these days so you cant be that picky mine is also stock@2.8ghz and I can go for 4.2 usually , but the noise of the fans would drive me crazy and with 35°C ambient temp going for 3.8 was more wise but much room to improve if wanted ... just get a very good cpu cooler edit:also start small and then go higher if its stable ... dont overtry it ... 3.4>3.6>3.8>4.0

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

The simple answer is overclockers.net they are the pros and very willing to help, thats what I did.

Rich Sennett

I'm thinking of overclocking my CPU and would like to know what I have to have a look at befor I do it and what else is important. First of all, I must still get a new motherboard because my old one doesn't let me overclock my CPU. Which one would be best for an I5-760? I still need enough space on it for 8GB RAM (4X 2GB) my GTX 460 and my USB card.Secondly, what do you think how high I can get my CPU clock? Would 4GHz be possible with this CPU?Next, I need to know which cooler I'd need for such high clock rates? Thanks for your answers and your helpEmi
Why don't you start with the hardware forums? There's too much to cover, especially considering you're in PMDG's forums (aka The PMDG Support Forum). The hardware forum here is a great place to start building knowledge of where you want to be. Overclockers.net and the like is the place to "get you there".

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thank you everybody.

I have an old dirt cheap asrock P55DE3 (I think 55€ or so) ... and will fit everything you asked forthere are way better out there, but even this cheap piece of hardware can do OC without problems and with predefined profiles for OC ...just go for something like asus, gigabyte, msi or so and you cant go wrong most of the times ... 1156 boards getting rare these days so you cant be that picky mine is also stock@2.8ghz and I can go for 4.2 usually , but the noise of the fans would drive me crazy and with 35°C ambient temp going for 3.8 was more wise but much room to improve if wanted ... just get a very good cpu cooler edit:also start small and then go higher if its stable ... dont overtry it ... 3.4>3.6>3.8>4.0
Thank you for the information.
Why don't you start with the hardware forums? There's too much to cover, especially considering you're in PMDG's forums (aka The PMDG Support Forum). The hardware forum here is a great place to start building knowledge of where you want to be. Overclockers.net and the like is the place to "get you there".
Because I know that almost everyone in here has overclocked his CPU. So I thought I could get the help here.
Thank you, I'll have a look at it.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!