Sign in to follow this  
johanvw

Need your advise for (second) pci videocard

As I didn't find my answers by searching the forums topics, so I'm posting this message here:Yesterday my pci videocard (TNT2 based)died.I'm considering an upgrade for my AGP videocard to a Radeon 9800 XT as my current AGP Nvidia videocard is getting too old.Question: when I install an AGP Radeon based 9800XT videocard, what is the choise for a pci videocard. Do I have to stick to a pci radeon videocard as well to avoid driver conflicts? Or do I create conflicts when installing 2 radeon based cards. I'd appreciate your opinion and advise!Johan van WijngaardenEHAM

Guest Aidi

Hi,You have two options avaialble to you. If you upgrade to the 9800 Radeon, it comes with two outputs for video built in. One is a standard VGA port, the other is a digital output, but with the addtionn of a digital to analouge adaptor you can run both your existing monitors from the same card thus eliminating the need for two seperate cards.Some find this great for what they want, others prefer to have the two individual cards. The majority have no issues with using both outputs off the one card, but some have reported a few strange things going on. It might be worth upgrading and getting the adaptor and trying that method first. If it works for you you have saved having to get a second card. If it dosent do what you are wanting to acheive, then you can switch back to the original config you had with two cards. I dont know what conflicts you might encounter using two ATI based cards, perhaps someone else can comment on this. I have an ATI 9700 Pro as a primary card, and a Nvidia TNT Riva as my secondary and they work in perfect harmony with each other.Hope this helps a littleRgdsAidihttp://www.vfr-flightcenter.com/avsim_sig.jpg

Hi Aidi,Thanks for your rapid reply!I've never thought of the possibility using an adapter. This might be a solution!Till now I had a Nvidia TNT2 card as secondary card too(and this card is automaticly detected by WinXP built inn software), but it's worth to try your first suggestion.Nevertheless I'm curious to know what is happening when you use two radeon based cards.Let's wait and see if someone jumps in......!RegardsJohan

Hi,I have a ATI Radeon 9800 XT with two VGA outputs, so this combo also exists.CheersRobert

Hi Aidi, Robert!Thanks for your input.I bought the Asus 9800XT, and connected my secondary monitor on the dvi output with the supplied adapted.Works with an overall superb quality.CheersJohan