Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

UK/Ireland - Ground textures not green enough?

I'm using UTX Europe and GEX Europe 2.0, and have noticed that Northern Europe / UK / Ireland is not green enough. It's way too brown for that part of the world. Does anyone else notice this? Is there anything I can do about it? Is UTX or GEX the culprit? Thanks.

My guess would be the seasons are starting to change within FSX itself. I've noticed in the USA where I fly the textures are starting to turn brown.

Sean Green

Yes winter is approaching in northern hemisphere.Goodbye to lovely green textures for six months or so.Ins't FS clever ,even at eight years old.Andy Whoops I notice this an FSX query, but the same applies.The chill of Winter approaches.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Folks, I find that it's not green enough even when I choose to fly in summer conditions. So it can't be the seasons.

If you really do want to do something about it, you can do. The simple (not cheap) option is to get some photorealistic scenery, there are a couple of choices for UK VFR scenery out there, their look is slightly different, so choose the one that has the green you prefer. The free option is to edit the green yourself on one scenery tile that you already have, and then do a batch process using those settings on all the others, several programs can do that, notably Photoshop. To do it in Photoshop, what you do is record and save an 'Action' on the first tile you edit as you edit it (see the Window menu in PS, where you will find the Action palette). When you have your Action created, go to the 'File' menu in Photoshop, down to 'Automate' and choose 'Batch' on the fly out menu, you should find your last recent Action listed (i.e. the one you just created). You then select the folder where all your other tiles are as the source, and then choose 'save and close' as the method. When you hit 'ok' it will batch Action all the files in the folder you chose, so they'll all get that action played on them. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In your environment, GEX is providing the textures that you see, and there has been some discussion here and elsewhere (including on the GEX forum over at Simforums) on this subject. The problem is that their textures are used in various places in northern and southern europe (and maybe elsewhere), so they are by necessity a compromise.Also the way they are designed to give the 3-dimensional look and allow them to 'work' at low level contributes to the perceived lack of green. It may well be possible to change the green colour on the tiles, but to give the representation of e.g. the English countryside that I think you are looking for I think many tiles would have to be completely reworked. And then of course they would look wrong elsewhere. As has been suggested above, photo-realistic scenery will give a more accurate representation in this respect. However, IMO that looks very poor and flat when flying below about 2000ft, particularly when flying over built-up areas. And of course you only get one season. Overall I find that GEX, particularly at the higher autogen settings, works much better, but it's a matter of personal preference. Don't forget also that the actual texture tiles used in any give area are determined by your landclass product. I'm guessing that you are using the UTX landclass. You may find value in installing one of the other landclass products like SceneryTech or XClass. Again, it tends to be a matter of personal preference as to what looks best to you.

I personally think in the Summer Time UK/Ireland Using GEX looks never like the real UK/Ireland at all, not even close. While the GEX Textures are of higher resolution the default textures there sure dont match the real world colour.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I think GEX Looks better on Approach (where it matters to me) but VFR Scene looks better at at least 6 or 7 thousand feet. you cannot hgave your cake and eat it too in this hobby, unless of course you choose to fly in ORBX regions...which I do. I have Australia covered in ORBX, with all of there airports and Ant Lynch Scenery as well, there is not one place I go that doesn't look perfect. I CANNOT fly anywhere outside of the ORBX regions anymore. I just wish ORBX would do some biggger airports for AU where I could put down my NGX.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

HelloGEX is not really very good for the UK and ireland, in fact I think that the whole product has gone backwards since they introduced that 3d effect to the textures.The GEX textures do not look good with UTE roads since they changed to this type of texture.For the UK and ireland VFR Generation X is first class, even better with Treescapes for the UK and the UK2000 VFR Airports. http://www.playhorizon.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18http://earthsimulations.com/treescapes_uk_bundle.htmlhttp://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairfields/index.html

Hey folks, check out this video that illustrates exactly what I am talking about:

The seasons bgl file in FSX is changing the seasons too soon in Europe. FSX seasons "engine" reads the fall textures, despite the user selecting summer in the EU. The video here is comparing GEX winter, not spring or summer textures with a non-seasonal changing photoscenery. You cannot compare photoscenery to texture and vector landclass even if its the same season.

Banner_eu_anthony.jpg

Gliderdriver, would it be too much to ask for a favour of posting a screenshot of GEX Europe with Shade so we can see how green the UK becomes? Also, is Shade compatible with enbseries?

^ Ignore the above post. I found screenshots/answers in the shade thread that I found by using the search function. Thanks. :)

^ Ignore the above post. I found screenshots/answers in the shade thread that I found by using the search function. Thanks. :)
can you post it, I'd like to see a picture?

Ron Hamilton