Sign in to follow this  
dazz

Intel Core i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E) And X79 Platform Preview

mmm, overclocking. That'd be nice. Too bad FSX still probably won't fully utilise 6 cores if you had one.

I would not go for it. expensive and the review is not good.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

The 2600k would not be faster than these beasts. Maybe the the 3820 but not the 3930k or 3960x.
You want to pay a grand when your existing system performs well in FSX.

Sometimes performance is more important than performance per $. This is especially true of FSX. But I would never spend $1000 or even $500 on a CPU - NEVER.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

The AMD Zambezi will have a better performance per $ ratio then the I7 or E!
And what does that mean? basically that 1.- AMD can't compete in performance and have to go for the "bang for the buck"2.- AMD will be forced to lower the price if Zambezi doesn't live up to the expectations. And guess what? here's the pricing: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-series-prices-revealed--listed-for-pre-order/13540.html#$189 - $266, when they were supposed to cost $300. What does that tell you? Yep, they will probably suck. Honestly, at this point I would skip Zambezi and wait to see what Piledriver brings to the table.3.- Given that it will only will have "good" performance in applications that take advantage of all 8 cores, it will be have a poor IPC and for FSX it'll be a terrible choice, even in performance per dollar: remember that an I5 2500K costs $215 So it's quite obvious to me that the I5 2500K will still be the CPU of choice for FSX, at least until Ivy Bridge

And what does that mean? basically that 1.- AMD can't compete in performance and have to go for the "bang for the buck"2.- AMD will be forced to lower the price if Zambezi doesn't live up to the expectations. And guess what? here's the pricing: http://vr-zone.com/a...der/13540.html#$189 - $266, when they were supposed to cost $300. What does that tell you? Yep, they will probably suck. Honestly, at this point I would skip Zambezi and wait to see what Piledriver brings to the table.3.- Given that it will only will have "good" performance in applications that take advantage of all 8 cores, it will be have a poor IPC and for FSX it'll be a terrible choice, even in performance per dollar: remember that an I5 2500K costs $215 So it's quite obvious to me that the I5 2500K will still be the CPU of choice for FSX, at least until Ivy Bridge
It's no use. Randy hates Intel fan boys, Dario.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Bulldozer is still not out so one can not talk about the performance, and the prices showing up certain places may not even be right. The fact is currently intel is giving performance in fsx , who knows what Bulldozer is going to give.

Bulldozer is still not out so one can not talk about the performance, and the prices showing up certain places may not even be right. The fact is currently intel is giving performance in fsx , who knows what Bulldozer is going to give.
You're right, we'll need to wait for realease, but they are still hexa & octo cores. It's not rocket science: If the IPC in FSX was close to the one in Sandy Bridge, they would be faster chips (the octo cores) than a I7 3960X (which is confirmed to cost some $500) in heavily threaded apps. Do you think AMD would sell a FX-8120 for $223? I don't think so The pricing is confirmed anyway, they're taking pre-orders: http://www.techpowerup.com/151949/AMD-FX-Series-Processors-Up-For-Pre-Order.html Also, those prices are probably inflated just because they're new. Based on all that, expect Bulldozer to have a pathetic IPC

And what does that mean? basically that 1.- AMD can't compete in performance and have to go for the "bang for the buck"2.- AMD will be forced to lower the price if Zambezi doesn't live up to the expectations. And guess what? here's the pricing: http://vr-zone.com/a...der/13540.html#$189 - $266, when they were supposed to cost $300. What does that tell you? Yep, they will probably suck. Honestly, at this point I would skip Zambezi and wait to see what Piledriver brings to the table.3.- Given that it will only will have "good" performance in applications that take advantage of all 8 cores, it will be have a poor IPC and for FSX it'll be a terrible choice, even in performance per dollar: remember that an I5 2500K costs $215 So it's quite obvious to me that the I5 2500K will still be the CPU of choice for FSX, at least until Ivy Bridge
I'll be sure to quote this when people buy AMD soon and wonder why FSX won't run as well as they thought

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

You're right, we'll need to wait for realease, but they are still hexa & octo cores. It's not rocket science: If the IPC in FSX was close to the one in Sandy Bridge, they would be faster chips (the octo cores) than a I7 3960X (which is confirmed to cost some $500) in heavily threaded apps. Do you think AMD would sell a FX-8120 for $223? I don't think so The pricing is confirmed anyway, they're taking pre-orders: http://www.techpower...-Pre-Order.html Also, those prices are probably inflated just because they're new. Based on all that, expect Bulldozer to have a pathetic IPC
Well the price for india changed to "pricing available in September" but as the launch has been postponed I guess it may be a month or two before it's available. The main will be the Enhanced Bulldozer next year. Don't know about the IPC as there are no reviews available.

Along with it's i7-2600K sister (for no good reason except I have one) I think you are 100% right. Sandy Bridge E will not likely improve FSX performance significantly, if at all, and hoping that the new AMD will even be able to place 3rd, is, well, hopeless... Kind regards,

if at all, and hoping that the new AMD will even be able to place 3rd, is, well, hopeless... Kind regards,
Absolutely agree. I think the Bulldozer will be launched in Oct / Nov .