Sign in to follow this  
Peter James

NGX FR better after 2nd "bootup"

I have noticed if I start the computer, then the NGX and fly....it's kinda jerky, framerate is so so... but more pauses and hesitations as I fly.... then, I shut down FSX and restart it immediately, the NGX is smooth, less stutters and totally enjoyable, and I can keep VC around 25 to 30 fps, landing in KATL or other complex terminal... with scenery on VD, and autogen on N(normal) the frame rate variability was about 16% for the first flight after bootup, yet, on the 2nd execution of FSX, it is smoother, like only 8% or so, and frame rates remain a few notches higher... anyone else seen this? Is for some reason a complex add-on like this needing to be run once first, before using?

I have noticed if I start the computer, then the NGX and fly....it's kinda jerky, framerate is so so... but more pauses and hesitations as I fly.... then, I shut down FSX and restart it immediately, the NGX is smooth, less stutters and totally enjoyable, and I can keep VC around 25 to 30 fps, landing in KATL or other complex terminal... with scenery on VD, and autogen on N(normal) the frame rate variability was about 16% for the first flight after bootup, yet, on the 2nd execution of FSX, it is smoother, like only 8% or so, and frame rates remain a few notches higher... anyone else seen this? Is for some reason a complex add-on like this needing to be run once first, before using?
Can't say I've experienced this before Peter. If anything, my flight simulator performs better after a reboot. Are you running a 64bit version of Windows on your system? Edit: Now I think about it, I have experienced this before but not since my system upgrade. I believe its associated, but not limited to memory caching, which is a fair call seeing as FSX depends heavily on memory and CPU resources to deliver performance. So, when you load the first flight, you have partly cache data files (incl. scenery, aircraft, etc). A portion of the data stays cached. On your second session, there's less stress on the system to retrieve data since a lot of its already cached, and so you have smoother flight. You're running a solid system there, so I'd have to assume you're running FSX on a fairly cluttered hard drive, or with a pile of things running in the background. I think you'll find if you end all non-essential processes through task manager and use something like PerfectDisk to defrag your hard drive, it will happen to a lesser extent. And running on a 64bit system will also make a huge difference if you aren't.

Some times I *think* I notice it but at some point I believe it may be in my head.Although I did have one experience when booting up FSX, getting the NGX all fired up and running FSINN...did about 40 minutes of an online flight and I swore the thing was running like a dog...actually I was pretty confident something was up. Finally gave up...dabbled around on the computer then came back to FSX...reloaded her up and was back to it's usual standards or performance. I loaded FSCopilot/FSINN after that and found no noticeable FPS drop so I thought it must have been some wayward process in Windows or something that caused it. A HD defrag is something my computer needs badly though.

No my system is as uncluttered as could be... I am in windows vista 64, defrag daily, and have no virus checkers etc... ever running... I am an uncluttering expert in my own mind! Caching makes sense.... although I am not familiar with virtual memory allocation, I usually just have windows do automatically that function... don't know if that's best or not!