Sign in to follow this  
petsumnets

how to open the doors and get the support equipment?

Hi all, I know that I can find it somewhere in the manuals but I just dont know where: how do I get the support equipment, how to get down the stairs, and how to open the doors? I actually expected somewhere some kind of a list like: F1: open cargo door, F2: open passenger door, etc... but where? NGX Introduction?NGX Tutorial 1?Operating Manual Vol.1?Operating Manual Vol 2?Quick reference handbook? Please help! Patrick

Its all in the FMC, FS options and/or PMDG options I forget which. John

you could have kept this post ... not very "community" like
+1 to this.I often feel this way when I see "RTFM". I feel that if that is the response one feels is required, best to not follow through. RTFM is used too often, and I feel this would not be the case if you actually typed out all the words. It is very mean spirited, and all the guy was doing was asking those who own the product how to use a certain part of it.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

It's another way of saying, 'Have a great day!'.
Lol.... It means "Read The F***ing Manual" and it's one of my least favorite replies to see in any forum unless the "manual" in question is maybe a page or two. Not for an aircraft add-on that has 3000+ pages of manuals. Sometimes it's hard to find the info in the manuals. I spent an hour last night looking up something on the LNAV behavior and finally found it, and I'm familiar with the layout of the NG manuals already from previous experience. I will say it can be frustrating and replying with RTFM is really not cool (IMHO) with an add-on this complex.Adam

Lol.... It means "Read The F***ing Manual" and it's one of my least favorite replies to see in any forum unless the "manual" in question is maybe a page or two. Not for an aircraft add-on that has 3000+ pages of manuals. Sometimes it's hard to find the info in the manuals. I spent an hour last night looking up something on the LNAV behavior and finally found it, and I'm familiar with the layout of the NG manuals already from previous experience. I will say it can be frustrating and replying with RTFM is really not cool (IMHO) with an add-on this complex. Adam
Agreed. RTFM replies really have no place in a community like ours, insofar as it discourages people from asking questions for fear they might be flogged by a self-appointed moderator. On the other hand, I will say that it is painfully frustrating to witness the lack of effort that some people put into reading instructions. My frustration, however, might have more to do with me being a parent. Anyway... Edit: As I think more about the CDU options menu, I recall learning this after about 10 minutes of reading the manuals. If I'm not mistaken, it was in the Introduction, which any serious simmer would should read, never mind the fact that the FCOMs and QRH amount to 3,000 pages. Short of calling the Introduction a "Readme" file, I'm not sure how much more obvious PMDG could have made it when trying to indicate what out of the 3,000 pages of documentation is important to read at an early stage. But, like I've told others on here, keep the questions coming--but stop being so afraid of the manuals.

There are over 3000 pages of manual and over 140 pages of discussions on this forum. Even if one hd read all of it, it would require a photographic memory to remember most of it. Sure everyone should read the Introduction manual, but a complete newbie should not be expected to remember even all of that. Besides, since they are marketing additinal manuals and video courses for this aircraft, one can only assume that it is almost impossible for a normal person to master all of the necessary information from the available information. Like most people on this forum, I don't mind trying to answer questions to which I know the answer (and sometimes that I don't know the answer...LOL).The latter case gives the opportunity to those who really know to clarify things. There is an old saying that to understand something, one must learn it at least seven times, and as a Professor I think it is true. This means that to master the aircraft one would have to read the 3000 pages seven times or 21,000 pages! Henri

Henri Arsenault

you could have kept this post ... not very "community" like
I agree. But ... the real question is when is it appropriate.l think the "RTFM" applies when someone has purchased a complex top shelf product and puts ZERO effort into learning the bare bones basics and expects to be spoon fed. Do you think this same person is going to be a contributing member to the community? Not likely.I recall one post where someone posted a question asking why they could not start the engine with ctrl-E! In this and similar cases, RTFM is a very polite response. Or what about "do I need FSX sp2". I mean where does it end? Another example is people who ask questions without using the search feature beforehand for topics that have been beaten to death. Perhaps UTFSF should be the appropriate response.Other than these extreme examples, I agree that we should err on the helpful side but like everything else there is a limit.BTW, can someone tell me how to run the NGX on my xbox?