Sign in to follow this  
Cristiano Mueller

My panel freezes are gone, I don't believe!

Guys;My panel freezes are gone, it's been almost two weeks. I'll tell you what I did. It is not a "magic formula", but it may help someone.My PC is not one of the best. It is a simple i5 @ 750 2.67 GHz, 4GB RAM and a nVidia video card 1Mb 450 GTS, 300GB HD. Simple as that.I had the HD partitioned into 64bit W7 (170 GB) and 32bit XP (130GB). The FSX was installed on XP, because I was having lots and lots of CTD in W7.With the release of NGX I've had several panel freezes and problems of texture in the vertical stabilizer and engines. And always the message when close the FSX: "the memory could not be written at....." Then, exchanging ideas with the guys here of the forum (thanks guys!) I decided to get rid of XP.But I do not reinstall FSX in W7. Instead, I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit in the place of XP. With the FSX installed as PMDG described + Bojote's tweaks, everything went back to heaven.It's almost two weeks of almost daily flights, (short, medium e long flights) and everything is running without a single freezing, OOM or CTD. As addons I use the UT2, in 60% and without GA, RC4 and a few payware sceneries. Sceneries are mostly freeware. I do not think I have discovered the "egg of Columbus", because I have no idea what happened for all work so well. But as I said there at the beginning, this story may help in some way. I'm thinking that perhaps we are "hitting the wrong guy." Will all these problems "NGX-dependent"? There are, suddenly, Windows-dependent? I do not know the answer. But the important thing is that everything is working perfect now. I hope it stays that way. I forgot to say, I'm using the NGX with Hotfix 1. Finally, thank you all of that forum, there is not one day that I learn something new and important here. And, PMDG, you did something amazing! The best airplane for simulator ever made. This will be an important milestone in the development of new addons. Thanks for the most outstanding aircraft that I've ever had. Below is the link to the video I made yesterday during a flight from SBGR-SBPA.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

I don't think you were getting the true panel freeze issue as we define it - I think you were getting an exhaustion of FSX's virtual address space due to the fact that XP's already limiting you by a ton when it comes to that aspect of the sim... One of the problems we've got here now is that people are calling any sort of CTD a "freeze" - there's a very specific thing we mean with respect to "freeze". When the NGX panel stops updating and is frozen but FSX is still running fine, that's the freeze by our definition. If the sim crashes, if there's any error message etc, that's not the freeze we mean and is likely related to something else - VAS exhaustion, uiautomationcore.dll problems etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I don't think you were getting the true panel freeze issue as we define it - I think you were getting an exhaustion of FSX's virtual address space due to the fact that XP's already limiting you by a ton when it comes to that aspect of the sim... One of the problems we've got here now is that people are calling any sort of CTD a "freeze" - there's a very specific thing we mean with respect to "freeze". When the NGX panel stops updating and is frozen but FSX is still running fine, that's the freeze by our definition. If the sim crashes, if there's any error message etc, that's not the freeze we mean and is likely related to something else - VAS exhaustion, uiautomationcore.dll problems etc.
Ryan; Excuse me, maybe I expressed myself badly. I experimented CTD in W7 with the MD11. I always had the NGX on XP, when FSX was installed there. And my panel freezing was as you reported: the FSX remained normal, but the aircraft was frozen, no response to the joystick controls and the panel also frozen. I never had OOM or CTD with NGX, even in XP. Only these freezes.I remember a post that you replied to me saying that maybe those freezes that I was experiencing was actually the exhaustion of XP. So I decided to change the OS.And to my joy, since I did that, I do not have a comma to complain about the NGX.She is fantastic!! And everything has worked perfectly ever since.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

Guys; My panel freezes are gone, it's been almost two weeks. I'll tell you what I did. It is not a "magic formula", but it may help someone. My PC is not one of the best. It is a simple i5 @ 750 2.67 GHz, 4GB RAM and a nVidia video card 1Mb 450 GTS, 300GB HD. Simple as that. I had the HD partitioned into 64bit W7 (170 GB) and 32bit XP (130GB). The FSX was installed on XP, because I was having lots and lots of CTD in W7. With the release of NGX I've had several panel freezes and problems of texture in the vertical stabilizer and engines. And always the message when close the FSX: "the memory could not be written at....." Then, exchanging ideas with the guys here of the forum (thanks guys!) I decided to get rid of XP. But I do not reinstall FSX in W7. Instead, I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit in the place of XP. With the FSX installed as PMDG described + Bojote's tweaks, everything went back to heaven. It's almost two weeks of almost daily flights, (short, medium e long flights) and everything is running without a single freezing, OOM or CTD. As addons I use the UT2, in 60% and without GA, RC4 and a few payware sceneries. Sceneries are mostly freeware. I do not think I have discovered the "egg of Columbus", because I have no idea what happened for all work so well. But as I said there at the beginning, this story may help in some way. I'm thinking that perhaps we are "hitting the wrong guy." Will all these problems "NGX-dependent"? There are, suddenly, Windows-dependent? I do not know the answer. But the important thing is that everything is working perfect now. I hope it stays that way. I forgot to say, I'm using the NGX with Hotfix 1. Finally, thank you all of that forum, there is not one day that I learn something new and important here. And, PMDG, you did something amazing! The best airplane for simulator ever made. This will be an important milestone in the development of new addons. Thanks for the most outstanding aircraft that I've ever had. Below is the link to the video I made yesterday during a flight from SBGR-SBPA.
Nice video and equally nice landing. Haven't mastered the HUD yet, me that is.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Nice video and equally nice landing. Haven't mastered the HUD yet, me that is.Regards,
I hated the landing. I was nervous because I was recording, the plane hit too hard.hehehehehe Thank you for watching.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

I've only had a "freeze" one time. And it corrected itself after a while.It happened as I was flying over the Gulf to Florida. I was looking at theplane in outside views, checking different views with "a", etc..When I decided to go back to the cockpit, I pressed through the "s"key views, and when I got to the usual "tower" view, it didn't show.I was too far from an airport to have a tower view. So I went back tothe cockpit view. It took me a minute to notice it, but nothing was updating..I was still flying along, but all of the gauges were frozen, and I think maybeeven my mouse would not work on the various click spots.I messed around a bit, and was close to decided I had an OOM, butdidn't totally bomb the sim to a crash. Then I went back to the outsideviews, and then cycled to tower view, which now was working, asevidentally I had got close enough to a coastal airport to show atower view. Bingo! When I went back to cockpit view, everything wasworking again, and I completed the rest of the flight with no issues.That was about three weeks ago, and it's never happened again sincethen.But in my case, it was almost like it was triggered by clicking on the"no airport" tower view. And came back to life after I got close enoughto get a tower view. And it was my clicking to the now working towerview that brought it back to life. If I had stayed in the cockpit view,I don't think it would have come back..Anyway, that's the only time I have seen this, and I thought I wouldmention the non working tower view as seeming the be the "trigger"that started it all. Why it would do that, I dunno.. But there it is..

I too have only had one freeze... and perfect timing for it to happen - Ryan was on TeamViewer watching it trying to fix another problem.Ryan, thanks for that - all is working well now though :)