Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

Core i5 2500K or Core i7 2600k

Hi all, I'm building a new PC that will hopefully last me for a few years to come & i'm thinking about two processors the Core i5 2500k or the Core i7 2600k. The main reason for my new PC, being a Windows7 64bit by the way will be to run the PMDG 737 NGX. Now my question is can i get away with using the Core i5 2500k without having to fork out for the Core i7 2600k & have max frame rates in FSX?

Hi Mad Dog, Funny you should come along as i was also wondering about Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit rather that Pro & i notice you also have that, so i take it Home Premium will also be adequate. As for the GPU i'm using a XFX GTX280 at the moment which will be in my new PC for a while & i've been advised to go for a DX11 card instead. Can you run on max settings in FSX with your setup? Thanks very much for your reply by the way.

Buy the i2500K and use the $100 you saved for something else in your system like a better video card or power supply. Fact is that FSX cannot make use of the i2600K's hyperthreading technology. Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thanks Mark, I need to get the i5 2500k & hard drive this month then the Operating system, Heatsink & Motherboard. What i have so far is an Antek 900 V1 case, GTX280 Card, Razer Ac1 sound card, Corsair HX1000w PSU & i shall use a couple of cd/dvd drives from an old XP PC i have so come next payday i should be ready to roll. Thanks for your reply it is very much appreciated.

There are:1) people who get 2500K cuz its cheaper and are happy with it2) people who like the BOTB (best-of-the-best) without price- or usage- consideration I belong to the latter.

Guest 747-fan

I've got a 2500k at 4.5GHz with noctua n14 fan, GTX560i in a Antec 902 cab. Can run the NGX very very well indeed.

Thanks all, i've decided on the i5 2500k. Word Not Allowed i notice you use FS Passengers, i used that program a heck of alot with FS9 & gave up flying after buying FSX because of the lack of the PMDG 737. Now finally they have released the new version (albeit 64bit recommended, hence the thread.) So i'm also looking forward to using FS passengers again. By the way, this new forum format is hard work!!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but will the larger cache on the 2600K make any difference on FSX performance?

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but will the larger cache on the 2600K make any difference on FSX performance?
Little bit, yes.

Little bit, yes.
How do you know that? just asking. I'd like to be able to make a side by side comparison some day

How do you know that? just asking. I'd like to be able to make a side by side comparison some day
I just though since when you compare the FSXMark11, you can find some results that point to such difference if clocks are same, specifically HLJames and FunknNasty. Different RAM-Speed yes, but I think that cache maybe also plays a small role. Maybe I am wrong. Side by side would be the best comparison of course.

to test such a little aspect you would need to have identical systems right down to the software and how everything was installed.

I never got around to doing that side by side benchmark on the two processors unfortunately. Still have some 2500s in the house so hopefully I'll get the time to sort something out now the summer is drawing to a close. Beer and sunshine have to take priority while it lasts I'm afraid!

No problem pilotextwo, the Core i5 2500K & the Core i7 2600K's similarities are being debated across the boards so anyone please feel free to use this thread if they wish.