Sign in to follow this  
jbassue

How I stopped my Freezes and OOMs

So after getting fed up about my OOMs, I reached the point of sheer desperation and went all out trying to find a solution, I started with my sliders and fsx.cfg with no success, I increased Virtual Ram... All to no success...Now I know the guys at PMDG strive for excellence and nothing less, and I commend them, but to the detriment of some my eyecandy, I had to actually be able to use my aircraft.So I went all out, spent the whole day today, trying to find out how I might solve this problem. My answer : Lower Resolution Textures, I first started off with my virtual cockpit resolutions, and they really helped my FPS, but after I took off, my computer Gave out on me, and I ran out of memory... Now to my last resort, I switched to external repaints ; they are at HD 4096 resolution textures, so I simply through the help of GIMP, decreased them to 1024 pixels, the difference in resolution is minimal, but it is well worth it, as we speak I am actually on my way to TNCM from KMIA, and my plane is whole!Thank you so much, PMDGIt has been a nice experience sharing my experience, and I hope this helps someone, if anyone wants to know how to change resolutions, you can reply to this and someone will surely help you.DisadvantagesTime consuming Lower resolutions, although they are lower, it looks just as good as Normal.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

And here I was, imagining you doing some kind of voodoo ritual around your computer, summoning the gods of OOM and CTD so you can give them a rightful smack over the back of their heads. But I digress... Good to hear you solved your problems. After you upgrade your video card, you might want to try to restore the textures. Maybe it'll work alright.

Cristi Neagu

And here I was, imagining you doing some kind of voodoo ritual around your computer, summoning the gods of OOM and CTD so you can give them a rightful smack over the back of their heads. But I digress... Good to hear you solved your problems. After you upgrade your video card, you might want to try to restore the textures. Maybe it'll work alright.
Haha, meh,I'll keep these, they help alot, loading times etc.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Haha, meh,I'll keep these, they help alot, loading times etc.
Glad you were able to tame the monster. Now you can enjoy flying the great bird. Have funsmile.png

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

My answer : Lower Resolution Textures,
Hi.Please tell us what files/folders did you lowered resolution to.And, is it only a matter of opening in photoshop or similar, lowering resolution and saving them, or is it more complicated than that?Thanks!Armando Arjona

Hi.Please tell us what files/folders did you lowered resolution to.And, is it only a matter of opening in photoshop or similar, lowering resolution and saving them, or is it more complicated than that?Thanks!Armando Arjona
It's as easy as that, you just need the DDS plug in, and load up the texture Dds's and change image size. The folders are as follows texture.vc in the PMDG 737 800NGX folder, and the texture.vc 900NGX, I've also changed the textures in the Texture.XX Where XX represents the repaint of an aircraft.I'm not responsible if you nuke your fsx.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Just a supplemental note to What's already been said. Be sure to backup any files you change so they can be restored if need be. If any problems with the ngx arise from a faulty resize, pmdg likely will not offer any support as this goes beyond the scope of the eula.

Just a supplemental note to What's already been said. Be sure to backup any files you change so they can be restored if need be. If any problems with the ngx arise from a faulty resize, pmdg likely will not offer any support as this goes beyond the scope of the eula.
Thanks kenneth ;)

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

When someone gets OOM's do they get an actual error message? I'm having trouble sometimes where if I alt-tab, change the size of the fsx window in windowed mode or occasionally change views that my sim or display driver stops loading most textures and polygons leaving me only with the land terrain textures (no autogen or scenery complexity.) I'm combing through the forums to see if anyone else has experienced these problems. I should have taken a screen shot, I will post one next time the error occurs.

If using window mode, don't Alt Tab, Have you got under graphics section in your fsx.cfg Highmemfix=1 ? Every fsx.cfg should have this.As a rule, you get a box to tell you that an OOM has occured.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

It's as easy as that, you just need the DDS plug in, and load up the texture Dds's and change image size. The folders are as follows texture.vc in the PMDG 737 800NGX folder, and the texture.vc 900NGX, I've also changed the textures in the Texture.XX Where XX represents the repaint of an aircraft.I'm not responsible if you nuke your fsx.
This is one of the first things I did when the NGX launched and mainly I did it just due to the fact that I am only running 2GB of RAM on a 32bit system. In fact there was a lot of discussion on it in this 7 page thread a while back http://forum.avsim.net/topic/343332-light-version/page__hl__resized__fromsearch__1What I am curious to know is how you did the whole process in GIMP even using the .dds plug in and didn't wreck the alpha channels? When I did my external textures and my VC textures, I had to use DXTBmp to extract the alpha channel to GIMP for resizing it, then import it back into DXTBmp and then resave the file along with the resized image texture. I had found that doing the whole process using GIMP alone ruined some of the alpha textures on exterior paints. Have you figured out a process to do the whole procedure in GIMP and keep from wrecking the aplha channels? When I did it solely using GIMP with the .dds plug-in, it didn't mess up all the alpha channels, but it did ruin enough of them that I didn't want to take a chance and did them all using DXTBmp and GIMP together to be safe.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is one of the first things I did when the NGX launched and mainly I did it just due to the fact that I am only running 2GB of RAM on a 32bit system. In fact there was a lot of discussion on it in this 7 page thread a while back http://forum.avsim.n...__fromsearch__1 What I am curious to know is how you did the whole process in GIMP even using the .dds plug in and didn't wreck the alpha channels? When I did my external textures and my VC textures, I had to use DXTBmp to extract the alpha channel to GIMP for resizing it, then import it back into DXTBmp and then resave the file along with the resized image texture. I had found that doing the whole process using GIMP alone ruined some of the alpha textures on exterior paints. Have you figured out a process to do the whole procedure in GIMP and keep from wrecking the aplha channels? When I did it solely using GIMP with the .dds plug-in, it didn't mess up all the alpha channels, but it did ruin enough of them that I didn't want to take a chance and did them all using DXTBmp and GIMP together to be safe. Sean Campbell
Hi Sean, I only did the internals in GIMP, I'm not to texture savvy, but I'm not sure if they have alpha channels. In the externals I just resized them in photoshop Vers8, with the dds plugin, loaded no Mipmaps, and that was all I changed...

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Yep... Looks like your graphics need upgrade. The rest seems quite fine.Even though some people are stating that FSX relies purely on CPU power (true in a way) upgrading the GPU will give you a more balanced system overall and will bring you more FPS. At least that's what happened to me when I slided in my 580GTX.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931