Sign in to follow this  
learn-by-flying

Back to FS9

156 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go back to FS9

• Yes
    • No
    • Keep FSX around but also fly with FS9

i think the topic got off track as the OP asked what he'd have to do to bring FS9 up to today's standards.
Yes, this is what I am trying to get done. I am by no means trying to get the look of FSX but something a little bit more life like. I have been researching a few programs today (REX mainly) for a boost to the environment. I fly mostly short hops in turbo props but get into the heavies once in a while, which is why I am trying to get the smaller airports up to par (I know a very big and difficult task). I know that nav data is dependent on the data provided with the particular aircraft. Any ideas what would bring the terminals/ground scenery a little closer to FSX? I have been looking into Ultimate Airport Environment at http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=18435&cat=625&page=1, I just need to google to see if I can find the avsim review on it.On a Side note I did install two of my payware birds into FS9; the wilco ERJ and QW 757, both look the same if not better since I have better frames than FSX.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Well guys, I have FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 and, incidentaly X-Plane installed on one of my external HD`s. These are all executable by allied shorcuts on my desktop. 98% of my flight sim is conducted from FS9/FS2004. Just love it ! Dave Talk to the Hand.gif

Yes, this is what I am trying to get done. I am by no means trying to get the look of FSX but something a little bit more life like. I have been researching a few programs today (REX mainly) for a boost to the environment. I fly mostly short hops in turbo props but get into the heavies once in a while, which is why I am trying to get the smaller airports up to par (I know a very big and difficult task). I know that nav data is dependent on the data provided with the particular aircraft. Any ideas what would bring the terminals/ground scenery a little closer to FSX? I have been looking into Ultimate Airport Environment at http://www.pcaviator...&cat=625&page=1, I just need to google to see if I can find the avsim review on it. On a Side note I did install two of my payware birds into FS9; the wilco ERJ and QW 757, both look the same if not better since I have better frames than FSX.
Flight1's Ground Environment ProREX's Real Environment ExtremeZintertek's WaterZintertek's Airport EnvironmentEnbSeries for Bloom effect (get the latest version and search around the forums for my .ini configuration) Also get ActiveSky Evolution This should get FS9 up to today's standard in the looks department.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Flight1's Ground Environment Pro - Still researching but definitely on my get list. REX's Real Environment Extreme - PurchasedZintertek's Water - Any upside to this program over REX?Zintertek's Airport Environment - Still in initial phase of researching.EnbSeries for Bloom effect (get the latest version and search around the forums for my .ini configuration) - I seem to recall seeing this in some of my forum searching and will have to dig up the topic. As soon as I do I will post a link for others. Also get ActiveSky Evolution - Again is ASE really worth is with REX? This should get FS9 up to today's standard in the looks department.
After a few hours today there is a difference in the default aircraft but I fly mostly payware and the flight dynamics are already feeling more realistic to actually getting in the air.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I understand FSX is currently the standard but it has almost become too much of a cartoon.
This statement always cracks me when people are unhappy with FSX for whatever reason and the word "cartoon" or cartoony starts to get tossed around.Please explain, what about FSX is a cartoon that FS9 isn't? Is it the colors? Change them with Enb by adjusting the gamma and saturation levels, use a custom Enb palette, and/or buy the new addon called Shade to tweak your colors even further.Certainly a/c in FSX dont look cartoony. Exteriors look pretty much the same, if you fly in VC's those look much better in FSX. Photo real ground sceney looks pretty much the same, except you can get a little bit higher res in FSX.You can use pretty much identical sky color and cloud textures in either sim.So having said all that, please tell me what is it about FSX that is a cartoon? Last time I flew I dont recall seeing Bugs Bunny or Yosemite Sam waiting at the terminal when I landed :-)Perhaps the old wire frame version would be an even better choice. You can get 300 fps and there's limited colors to worry about tweaking, although addons are getting tougher to find.Joking aside, I dont care what sim anyone uses. If they think FS9 and it wonderful looking water looks great, more power to them. I just for once would like to know how you define one sim as looking like a cartoon?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Joking aside, I dont care what sim anyone uses. If they think FS9 and it wonderful looking water looks great, more power to them. I just for once would like to know how you define one sim as looking like a cartoon?
Please noone answer this question as Jim is hijacking the topic with a waste of time question.cool.png

I just for once would like to know how you define one sim as looking like a cartoon?
It gets equated to a cartoon because when MS canned the Flight Simulator franchise, you got FSX and then it was: 'Th-th-th-That's All Folks!' Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Please noone answer this question as Jim is hijacking the topic with a waste of time question.cool.png
Not hijacking at all Ed. Just would like a serious answer to what the OP stated and then I asked. I've seen you make the cartoon remark as well and to this day no one has ever given a truely subjective answer to what they think is cartoony. Especially given the fact their are many ways to configure FSX to make it look however you want, from overly bloomy to overly gloomy and everthing in between. Usually it seems like the default term to use when someone is unhappy with FSX because they cant get it to work the way they want.
It gets equated to a cartoon because when MS canned the Flight Simulator franchise, you got FSX and then it was: 'Th-th-th-That's All Folks!' Al
Good one Al....

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Not hijacking at all Ed. Just would like a serious answer to what the OP stated and then I asked. I've seen you make the cartoon remark as well and to this day no one has ever given a truely subjective answer to what they think is cartoony. Especially given the fact their are many ways to configure FSX to make it look however you want, from overly bloomy to overly gloomy and everthing in between. Usually it seems like the default term to use when someone is unhappy with FSX because they cant get it to work the way they want.
Well I suggest you start another post titled "I would like a truely subjective answer to what they think is cartoony" and see how far you get with it. Tom simply would like suggestions as to how to make his FS9 look decent.

Flight1's Ground Environment Pro - Still researching but definitely on my get list. - This add-on updates the whole FS9 texture set to make the whole world look more realistic in all seasons. Flying over Asia looks like Asia (America goes without saying), South America has it's own look, same goes for Europe or Africa. It's much more complete than what was offered for FSX which only covered (in separate packages) the USA/Canada and Europe. REX's Real Environment Extreme - Purchased Zintertek's Water - Any upside to this program over REX? - This is the best water set money can buy for FS9 (yes it's better than REX). It actually makes FS9 water comparible to FSX's water within FS9's limits of course. Zintertek's Airport Environment - Still in initial phase of researching. - This add-on (available at SimMarket) replaces all the default airport building textures in FS9. It overwrites the runway textures REX applied so if I were you I'd install this add-on on first and then REX. REX has more options for runway/taxiway texture. EnbSeries for Bloom effect (get the latest version and search around the forums for my .ini configuration) - I seem to recall seeing this in some of my forum searching and will have to dig up the topic. As soon as I do I will post a link for others. - The best bang for your buck with this add-on is to use the brightest sky texture available in REX. The offset of that sky and EnbSeries is very nice especially in the VC. My .ini configuration settings helps out allot in this area in making FS9 look really good. Also get ActiveSky Evolution - Again is ASE really worth is with REX? - Hands down, YES.... This should get FS9 up to today's standard in the looks department.

FS2020 

Zinertek airport enviro also replaces the default airport grass textures, which makes a huge improvement if you use any freeware or default airports. I consider this and their water add-on to be must-haves.

John G.

I got my good old fs9 yet, and I don't have to worry about crash-to-desktop in a middle of a long-haul flight like fsx. wacko.png

I got my good old fs9 yet, and I don't have to worry about crash-to-desktop in a middle of a long-haul flight like fsx. wacko.png
You shouldn't have this happening in FSX if your using Windows 7 64Bit with the FSX.exe file large address aware. huh.png Under XP 32Bit your still going to have OOM's even with FS9 (if you have allot of AI and custom scenery in places like NYC).

FS2020