Sign in to follow this  
Guest groundpounder75

Flight Academy - Which One To Pick?

Guest groundpounder75

Hello,Is there anyone who has experience with any of the flight academies, i.e. Comair or Flight Safety. I am going down to Comair on Nov. 11th and I wondered how Flight Safety compares to Comair.Thanks

With no intent to shatter your dreams, I'd pick another career. The ways things look right now you will more than likely have a tough time becoming an airline pilot. Why spend all that money when your chances of getting a job are slim? I looked into getting a 4 yr. degree for it but I just couldn't justify putting myself $100,000+ in the hole. Especially when the university rep told me that it would take at least 10 years before I had even a small chance at getting a real airline job. No thank you. I wish you the best of luck. :)Gary

I would say this: Unless you already have a college degree, do NOT go to a place like Flight Safety, Comair or even Embry Riddle. Instead, find a 4 year college that will allow you to pick up a degree in aviation or, if the job market remains as is, you can choose something else. Look to places like Purdue, Ohio State, Ohio U, North Dakota, Western Michigan, FIT and the like. The quality of training is as good, if not better, than the training you will get at a pilot factory. Plus, you get the true college experience and you always have something to fall back on. Take a look at the schools i mentioned above; each has something different to offer that would appeal to a different person. Purdue and WMU both have full motion jet sims, Ohio U allows you to log time in King Airs and Navajos, North Dakota is very technology oriented. I'm sure there are other schools i'm forgetting. Just take a look at what's out there before you drop 6 figures on an education that may or may not help you. Good luck in your search.-Rob

>I would say this: Unless you already have a college degree, >do NOT go to a place like Flight Safety, Comair or even >Embry Riddle. The reason you go to Embry Riddle is to get a degree. You can't go there just for the flying.The industry should be turning around in 3-4 years. Depending on how long you spend there, it may be just the right time to be looking for a job.Matt

Guest BrianC

...unfortunately along with many of the other graduates from that 3-4 years and pilots who already had jobs furloughed prior to that.

Guest groundpounder75

Thanks for the feedback guys. I already have been through college and have a BS in electrical engineering. I have been laid off from my last job for some time and don't have any prospects of finding an EE job for a while. If you think airline pilots are having problems you should check out engineers. But, I appreciate what you guys have to say. I guess I look at it like you only have one chance to live your life and to do what you really want to do. I don't care if pilots aren't being hired right now. Now, isn't the concern for me. The future is the concern and so be it, if I never get a job as an airline pilot I can move to Alaska with my Dad and fly as a bush pilot. It is only money, a lot of money and I realize this, but still it is only money. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. Hopefully in a few years I will be flying the friendly skys'.