Sign in to follow this  
snpower

FSX system (build or buy)

First post here in years!I started simming in '88 with Sublogic and monochrome! Converted to mac in 04 and am now using FSX, Xplane 9 on a Dell xps 210 with a 4550 video card. I'd like a new build, and, money is very tight. My presumption is that guven the age of fsx I can get something that ran it great 2 years ago, and that should be fine. Of course, I would prefer things to be upgradable for when I gave mSorry - post was ended prematurely... for when I have more $$$.Are there sources for used gaming systems? Should I build it - if so, how do I separate wgeat from chaff in terms of ruling in/out components?From what I read sp2 can use multi core and higher cpu cycles is more critical, than say, marginal improvements in video cards.I fly for a living, this is for my son and I on the weekends.

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

So what's your planned budget? You should always build yourself, it'll save you a fair bit. Even though FSX has made no advances over the years, a newer system will still run it much better. For example, how many C2Q's can get to 4.7GHz or even 5GHz. These CPU's are also more efficient so if you do get the money, I would say new is the way to go.

Suggest building one your self. You will get good hardware help here in the forum.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Building a computer is no more difficult that pitting together a flat-pack wardrobe, you can do it, but the difficulty is knowing what goes with what in terms of components, since there are all kinds of different socket types for Processors etc, and that can get confusing, but it is not as complicated as it seems if you have a good source of info. Naturally you can ask on here and people are willing to help, but a decent website is a godsend too, since you can compare stuff quickly. With that in mind, I would recommend looking at this website: http://www.scan.co.uk/ Don't worry that the website is in the UK and you might not be located there, it is simply for comparing stuff (although that place is actually good to buy from). You will notice up at the top of that site there is a component search box, and what makes that interesting is that you can search 'what's hot', as in what everyone else is buying for each type of component, which tends to sort the wheat from the chaff. If you then look at those components, you will see that there is a technical explanation, a features list, and most importantly, a 'related products' option, which helps immensely with knowing what will fit best with what, so you can then suss out what cooler is best for what CPU, what motherboard goes best with it, what RAM will work well with it, and that kind of thing. There are other places you can do that kind of thing at, but the one I linked to certainly works well for doing that kind of thing. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

My planned budget is as little as possible. Seriously. I have hard drives that will work and don't need an OS. I'd like to stay between 400-500 max, with the ability to upgrade the CPU later if possible. A local quoted me 400 for this:corsair 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 memoryapex case480 watt power supplyphenom II dual core processor 3.2Ghzwestern digital hard drive 250gb 7200rpm 16MB cachecd/dvd burner MSI 785GM-P45 AMD 785G Socket AM3

Did you guys die laughing at my budget?
Is that 400 USD?Do you need a case too?

I do. Going to use my WD hard drive but need everything else. I know it's a tight fit but money is not there for much more.Currently using a core duo 2.4 ghz Dell xps 210 with REX and things aren't too bad until I use PMDG's 737 or Captain Sim. I'd like something I could upgrade the CPU when $$$ is better. Thanks.

Only GPU, PSU, RAM and MOBO, you don't need a case, right? CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131706RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231438 ( do X2 later)PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127606 price: approx. 566 USD But I doubt that your case can fit all these things. If you plan to increase your budget then, please inform. I am also thinking of HDD.

Oi 400$ only, hmmm than the best is to go for a Phenom X4 945/ 55 etc.. as 2500k will be expensive. Get a good PSU like a Corsair and a good GPU ATI / Nvidia which will match the CPU something like a 5770 / 450. In fact I used to run FSX on an E5700 3.0 Ghz (3.6 Oc'ed) it was running nicely. But the quad will give better benefit and the Phenom's are good overclockers. I am not sure if the 945 is a BE. And get a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for decent cooling.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus