Sign in to follow this  
Echofox

Jackson WY

Having gone for years without much hassle with FS9, and reading on the forum about "lost" scenery, I have now joined the class !Who's stolen my Jackson WY. O.K. here's the problem, drawing a rectangle with one side on the east of the Tetons, the other on the west, the third side approx at the south end of Yellowstone, the fourth about the same distance south of Jackson. Start a flight at Jackson, or Driggs U59 ID,Melody Ranch WY31, Husky ID72 FS9 crashes upon initial loading Texture at 50%. Take-off out of the area and fly to one of the above results in a black screen crash. This obviously looks like scenery tile fault, but I don't know where to locate it. I use UT USA and FSGenesis etc, but I have no problems flying anywhere else. Living in the UK and having visited the area in 2002, I would like to get it back, and would be grateful for any suggestions.I also have a basic FS9 on my laptop, and the above doesn't apply, it works fine. Many thanks Echofox

Have you added or tweaked any AF2 files anywhere in the K1 region recently? Possible duplicate or one with errors. If that possibility does not apply, then next, I would suggest that wherever you have FSG installed, you go there and remove the Yellowstone bgl if you have that and any terrain mesh file pertaining to that area to a temp location outside FS9 to check for a corrupt file. Probably not the cause though, as you said the crash occurs during texture loading. Next, do you have any scenery type airport enhancements in the area? If so disable those to see if the problem goes away. ( corrupt texture or bgl ) Now the most likely cause would be a corrupted file in UTUSA. I don't know which OS you are using, but on WinXP you can go to start/ All Programs/ Flight One Software/ Ultimate Terrain/ USA/ Setup and Configuration Tool, and click on Restore All FS2004 Scenery. Or alternately you could go into the FS9 scenery setup menu and deactivate your UTUSA scenery from there. It probably would not hurt to do both just to be sure. Then check to see if your problem still exists. If the problem does go away and you need to reinstall UTUSA don't forget to run the Restore All FS2004 Scenery anyway. If none of this works or doesn't apply, then the last thing I can think of would be to replace your FS9 texture folder from the disc as well as the Scenery/ World/ texture folder temporarily just to check. I share you appreciation of the area to say the least. I hope you get everything working properly without to much hassle. Best regards,Mel

Thanks Mel for your suggestions, some I have tried, but I think it would be wise to follow you instructions. My desktop or as my wife calls it, the cockpit, is XP. I installed FS9 in my laptop as an experiment, Windows 7. I also installed FSG wy.bgl into /world/scenery but not the Yellowstone bgl. This installation works fine, so I will now go along with your suggestions. This will probably be Thursday, got a golf comp tomorrow, unfortunately here in N.W.England we are getting the end of your hurricane, send the sun !!CheersGrant

Hi Mel, well I've tried all the combination's except re-installing UT-USA, I will have to give it a go. As before everything works, everywhere in the world except the Tetons range area. Fly out of Cody fine but don't go to Jackson, "black hole". I disengaged all add-on scenery, checked for duplicates etc, cut to a desktop folder any FSG bgl's around that area, all to no avail. Crashes anywhere between 30 and 50% when loading. I have FSX, but the Tetons/Yellowstone could do with enhancing, but I'd rather fly FS9. Anyway thanks for you advice, will keep trying unless anyone else out there has any other ideas. Oh , and thanks for the Sun !!!!Grant

Hi Grant,You did not mention specifically, did you check for duplicate AFCAD files in the K1 region? If you have, then that would seem to narrow the problem to a corrupted stock file. Regards,Mel P.S. Glad you are getting a little sun for a change, however, more liquid sunshine is on the way!

Hi MelI've run Scan Afcad and can't see any specific problems. What is the K1 Region. When you say corrupted stock file, what or where might that be. I can find my way around all this if pointed in the right direction, but just want to make sure, also trying to avoid a complete re-install.The liquid arrived !Grant

Hello again, Grant The K1 region is a geographical 'slice' of the FS world. For example; KJFK is in K6, KDTW is in K5, EGLL is in EG. My reference to a corrupted stock file meant that there might be a file, either texture or bgl that is no longer properly readable by FS9. The likely locations would be; Flight Simulator 9\texture, Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\scenery or texture. These folders could be retrieved from your installation disks if necessary, but before we go into that, I have also realized that you have not stated whether or not you have checked your scenery cfg file to make certain that it is in proper working order. There are a couple of utilities that can do that for you and correct any errors. Again, I'm just trying to cover any and all possible causes. You should not have to do a complete re-install especially if we can narrow down the possible cause. If and when it becomes necessary we can discuss swapping out files / folders from your disks without losing any of your personal tweaks. As I think about this, different things pop or poop into my head so please forgive if I seem to jump around a bit. Here is something to try right away; load a flight at KJAC but set the season to a different one such as winter and see what happens. If FS9 loads properly then that would be a big step in the right direction. Regards,Mel

Mel, you are a genius. Firstly I have not done anything with the Scenery.cfg. I probably wouldn't know what exactly to look for. Secondly Jackson is back be it only in the dark. I tried all the combinations re season and time, it works in all seasons but only in the "night" mode, dawn thru to dusk causes a crash to black screen, all "times" in "night " mode work. Just tried a test flight to north of Jackson Lake, no problems. I'm back in your hands again, but grateful for all your help. There was no need to send so much liquid sun!RegardsGrant

Grant, Based on what you have reported, the scenery cfg file is probably okay for now. Here is what we know: the cause is; not terrain mesh (crash would happen all seasons - day or night); not AFCAD related (crash would happen all seasons - day or night); not textures used in the airport surfaces or structures or the physical 3d models at the airport (would cause problems almost everywhere in the FS9 world); What is left that is specific to that area would be roads, railroads, rivers, streams, lakes and shorelines. Railroads, rivers, streams, lakes and shorelines have no lm or night texture, so they and their associated bgls would not be the cause (same textures and bgls night or day). The road textures are used everywhere and only the bgls providing road polygons are specific to that area, however those are not the cause other wise day / night and season would make no difference. The odd thing is that the land surface textures for that area are not special to that location alone and the chance that all daytime seasonal textures are corrupt doesn't exist because, again, you would have the same problem elsewhere. What is left that is very specific to that area is the snow capped mountains and the associated textures but again they are not displayed at night with a lm texture. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! I have typed myself right into a corner here. I have pretty much the same scenery and terrain for the area (UTUSA and FSG) so I'm going to take a break here and load up FS9 and KJAC just to look around and see if I have missed something. Mel

Grant, Well, I took a look around and saw nothing that could help. Would you please load up FS9 when you get time and start a flight somewhere where there are snow capped mountains, say PAJN just to see what happens, if anything. Meanwhile I will continue to rethink the problem. Sorry about the liquid sun, the sprinkler valve is stuck in the open position. Best regards,Mel

MelNo problems at PAJN, I will try some more investigating over the weekend. If you like you can contact me direct on - bikerone_x at yahoo dot co dot uk. and I will reply with my private email address.RegardsGrant

Hi MelDon't go ruining your weekend, as the tap has not stopped here I've done four test flights to identify the exact area where the trouble is.This was flown, Summer, Day.Route - KWYS w.yellowstone to KJAC - FS9 crashes 36 nm North of JAC.Route - U25 dubois wy crashes 20 nm East of JAC (.jpg)Route - U56 rigby id crashes 30 nm West of JACRoute - 46U alpine wy crashes 29 nm South of JAC.Whilst flying all scenery including the distant Tetons is perfectly visible, until the black hole. It is, after your efforts, obviously a daytime scenery fault, somewheresomething is corrupt, as flights anywhere else , day, night, sun, snow work. Your help has been much appreciated, maybe it's time to have a clean out and re-install.RegardsGrant

This is a copy of the final postings, see "Jackson WY #2" Sept 19 2011 The cause of all the problems, i.e. CTD when attempting to start a flight from KJAC or flying into KJAC (see previous posting), was a .bgl located in Scenery World Scenery "grand_teton_VTPH.BGL". Removal of this has restored the area back to normal. Now have to find where the .bgl originated.Thanks Mel for your time and help.Grant (Echofox) Hi Grant,I glad you were able to solve your problem. I may be mistaken, but the grand_teton_VTPH.BGL looks like a photo mesh file for which the textures are most likely missing. I don't know why it would have gotten in the place you found it in the first place. Thank you for the kind words, happy to have been of some help and you are most welcome.Regards,Mel