Sign in to follow this  
Constantine

Climb Thrust

Hi , I noted in the PMDG B747-4 manual that at flap 5 Climb Thrust we should engage either the THR or FLCH button, THR doesn't engage only FLCH can you tell me if you are following this procedure and if so any issues, because it really doesn't seem right to me and I haven't seen thisprocedure on any cockpit flight DVD's i've seen so far. Many Thanks Richard (Nagoya Japan)

If I remember correctly, I haven;t flown the 747 in a while, but THR will engage if FLCH was used and you level off at the altitude set in the ALT window on the MCP.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thanks Kennyon page 9-9 PMDG 747-400 manual flight techniques it says " When reaching Flap 5 the crew should select the climb thrust setting by pressing the FLCH switch, the THR switch or via the FMC Climb page". I'm a little bemused i've never seen this being actioned in any DVD and have never seen this procedure discussed before by fellow simmers, just wonder guys what steps are you taking on your climbs when you reach Flap 5 speed. studying the Virgin B747-4 and Cathay B747-4 excellent dvds a verbal 'climb thrust' is announced on the Cathay dvd but no actions seem to have been taken at this point in flight or even in the simulator tutorial part of the dvd.

studying the Virgin B747-4 and Cathay B747-4 excellent dvds a verbal 'climb thrust' is announced on the Cathay dvd but no actions seem to have been taken at this point in flight or even in the simulator tutorial part of the dvd.
Thats because in both instances (VIR & CPA videos) the THR RED Height was set on the TAKE OFF REF Page of the CDU prior to pushback; they were also both VNAV departures.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'