Sign in to follow this  
mark22

REX - Do I really need it?

Aw well, it's only money...
Dave, I love it! biggrin.png PS And yes, REX is gorgeous!

If REX does for FS9 what it does for FSX, it's worth every penny. I was skeptical and finally broke down and got the FSX version and it blew me away. Now I'm faced with getting it for FS9 because I do more than half my flying there. Aw well, it's only money... DJ
It's money that is definitely "well spent." You won't regret it. It probably does MORE for FS9 as it really raises the bar from a somewhat "lower" position in terms of visual realism... As much as I disliked FSX, it did improve the look of the sim. REX will bring FS9 up to that same standard - and then improve it even more... This is a rather bold statement but I think all the REX users out there will agree with me - people have no idea of what the potential of FS9 is until they have REX... Marry that with FSUIPC registered version and a good WX program like ASV6.5 and WOW - it is a whole new simulation visually....Ian

How would I integrate REX with ActiveSky 6.5 and GroundEnvironment Pro? Do they work well together (right now I'm using AS6.5 as the engine, ActiveSky Graphics for the sky and GEPro for ground)?

How would I integrate REX with ActiveSky 6.5 and GroundEnvironment Pro? Do they work well together (right now I'm using AS6.5 as the engine, ActiveSky Graphics for the sky and GEPro for ground)?
I just went through this drill - as nearly as I can tell if you want GEP graphics you get both ground and sky whether you want them both or not. Consequently, you can run ASV and let it do its thing with GEP to get the ground textures and load the sky; then run REX and let it do the sky - don't let ASG do auto submit cloud updates by the way. If anyone has a better notion I'd love to hear it! DJ

I just went through this drill - as nearly as I can tell if you want GEP graphics you get both ground and sky whether you want them both or not. Consequently, you can run ASV and let it do its thing with GEP to get the ground textures and load the sky; then run REX and let it do the sky - don't let ASG do auto submit cloud updates by the way. If anyone has a better notion I'd love to hear it! DJ
I agree. I do the same thing. Chuck, the combination is unbeatable. You get the best of all three products if you do them in that sequence and the result is breathtaking. I hate to sound like I'm pushing anybody's products but if you combine these three along with the registered FSUIPC you will find yourself looking at something that rivals FSX in almost every respect but with the great performance of FS9...BTW, you do not have to do this every time. ASV6.5 will not execute the AS Graphics unless you go through that interface. So once you've got the GE pro ground textures and REX everything else, just use ASV for real-time weather.

One more quick question. I think I know the answer but want to be sure. Do you see any frame impact using REX compared to ASG? The reason I ask is that I get absolutely no stuttering with my current set up using ASG set to Wx-Influenced and 512x512 "highest quality".

One more quick question. I think I know the answer but want to be sure. Do you see any frame impact using REX compared to ASG? The reason I ask is that I get absolutely no stuttering with my current set up using ASG set to Wx-Influenced and 512x512 "highest quality".
I run a system very similar to yours (Alienware i7 920 OC'd to 3.5) and have a cheaper graphics card (GTX260) and have no issues at all. I picked up REX for FSX first, and as a result of this thread went ahead and got the FS9 version as well. All systems are different, but I wouldn't expect any issues with yours. REX is stunning - I love FS9 and this is the perfect touch. DJ

Okay. So I installed REX and the four SP's. One word. GREAT!!! I'm using it with AS6.5 and GEPro as indicated above with no problem whatsoever. Now I've got to figure out a combination of the various sky, cloud, etc.. elements that I like. VERY NICE!

Okay. So I installed REX and the four SP's. One word. GREAT!!! I'm using it with AS6.5 and GEPro as indicated above with no problem whatsoever. Now I've got to figure out a combination of the various sky, cloud, etc.. elements that I like. VERY NICE!
Try putting your flightplan into REX and let the metars it fetches be used to create and load the textures - then shut REX down. The mixes it generates will give you an idea of the possibilities... DJ

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm having a problem keeping the GEPro textures installed. I ran GEPro, installed Partly Cloudy textures and then ran REX with the Pristine Tropics theme. Following that I ran AS6.5 for the weather at KATL. FS9 loads with very clear ground textures (or so it appears) before the actual weather loads. Is REX overwriting the GEPro textures, do you think? Also, I've disabled winds on the ground in AS6.5 and FSUIPC (registered) but now I'm getting surface winds which I didn't have before. Thoughts on why this is happening? If this is getting too lengthy I can take this to the REX forums but this might be a good learning experience for others. Rolling Eyes.gif

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm having a problem keeping the GEPro textures installed. I ran GEPro, installed Partly Cloudy textures and then ran REX with the Pristine Tropics theme. Following that I ran AS6.5 for the weather at KATL. FS9 loads with very clear ground textures (or so it appears) before the actual weather loads. Is REX overwriting the GEPro textures, do you think? Also, I've disabled winds on the ground in AS6.5 and FSUIPC (registered) but now I'm getting surface winds which I didn't have before. Thoughts on why this is happening? If this is getting too lengthy I can take this to the REX forums but this might be a good learning experience for others. Rolling%20Eyes.gif
REX will/might overwrite the water textures, but I don't think it contains ground textures... without REX's weather engine running there is no way that it can generate winds and ASV6.5 would overwrite the winds anyway. REX will make changes to the FSUIPC.ini file so check and make sure you still have what you think you have. I had the impression that things were generally sharper, but I have so many add-ons that it looks like FSX anyway until you notice the lack of trees everywhere. Lets keep it here - there are lots of REX users around. In looking over the REX logs, it seems that it will replace the environment maps - that will affect the way everything looks and is probably the source of the perceived sharpness and colors in the terrain. DJ Edited by ubersu

REX will/might overwrite the water textures, but I don't think it contains ground textures... without REX's weather engine running there is no way that it can generate winds and ASV6.5 would overwrite the winds anyway. REX will make changes to the FSUIPC.ini file so check and make sure you still have what you think you have. I had the impression that things were generally sharper, but I have so many add-ons that it looks like FSX anyway until you notice the lack of trees everywhere. Lets keep it here - there are lots of REX users around. DJ
That's my belief too - REX will overwrite environment textures but does not do anything to the ground textures. I don't use the REX weather interface as I had some issues with it when I first started using it. That may well have been my own lack of knowledge of how to use it properly but my experience of using the texture features along with GE Pro for ground textures and ASV 6.5 for real time weather has been so successful that I'm not tempted to try anything else.

That's my belief too - REX will overwrite environment textures but does not do anything to the ground textures. I don't use the REX weather interface as I had some issues with it when I first started using it. That may well have been my own lack of knowledge of how to use it properly but my experience of using the texture features along with GE Pro for ground textures and ASV 6.5 for real time weather has been so successful that I'm not tempted to try anything else.
I've experimented with using the "Plan a Flight" feature to allow REX to go get weather and select and install the appropriate textures - then I shut REX off. Seems to work well and saves having to create themes... DJ

'Had a little time to experiment further. It seems the GEPro ground textures are there, it's just that REX makes such a significant change to everything else that I didn't recognize the "old" ground. This is a good thing! I like the idea of using Plan a Flight to come up with a realistic theme - something I haven't been able to do on my own. I'll report back once I've had a chance to try this. BTW, I flew a real-time flight out of my hometown airport using the JF/PSS 757 at dusk with real-word weather. The visuals were incredible. Yes everyone, REX is worth it.

'Had a little time to experiment further. It seems the GEPro ground textures are there, it's just that REX makes such a significant change to everything else that I didn't recognize the "old" ground. This is a good thing! I like the idea of using Plan a Flight to come up with a realistic theme - something I haven't been able to do on my own. I'll report back once I've had a chance to try this. BTW, I flew a real-time flight out of my hometown airport using the JF/PSS 757 at dusk with real-word weather. The visuals were incredible. Yes everyone, REX is worth it.
I hate to say we told you so, but WE TOLD YOU SO!!! LOL..... Glad you are enjoying it Chuck - I hope others will view this thread and do the same...