Sign in to follow this  
toby23

Crossing active runways and backtracking...?

I have a couple of questions after a very enjoyable but busy flight from KFLL to KTPA. 1. Why am I never cleared to cross active runways during taxiing?2. What does request backtrack mean?3. I was second in line to take-off and ATC cleared me for take-off. I had to overtake the plane in front of me, why did that happen?4. On approach, ATC started acting like FSX ATC and instructing me to turn to 320, turn to 315, turn to 318, turn to 310...How can I avoid that happening? and can I just ignore the request and keep flying on the actual approach heading? I wish I'd discovered VoxATCX earlier, it's so immersive and adds so much to FSX.Toby

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10, Varjo Aero, DOF H3

Here's my take on your questions: 1. Stop at the runway you need to cross and say something like "Request cross runway 27" (type 0 to see what you need to say).2. I think its when you have to enter runway in the middle, then backtrack up it to the end, then turn around 180 degrees before taking off.3. Guess that is a bug.4. ATC is vectoring you, i.e. telling you what directions to fly. When this happens, then you can ask for FULL ILS for runway xx or something like that to fly a STAR. Again, type 0 to see the possibilities. I agree Its really immersive flying with it, even though there are bugs here and there, Helge

Helge Rasmussen

1) So far I haven't had any trouble crossing runways. One time I was actually told to hold position, and I saw an aircraft come in a minute or so later. I then got a clearing, which was pretty cool to see. 2) Helge is correct. I found the info here: http://atcwiki.jonck....ATCControl#RWY 3) I've seen that happen too. I'll get the clearance to take off much quicker than I would anticipate. Especially, when I'm told to line up and wait, and as I'm doing so I get clearance to take off when the aircraft in front of me hasn't completely cleared the runway yet or has just taken off and is still too close in airspace. 4) I haven't had too much trouble with this one, but Helge's suggestion should work. I too enjoy the immersion that Vox provides. I like it even more since I'm flying in a Vatsim event today, and some other ones coming up. It really helps give me the practice that I need. I just need to get the phrases memorized, so I don't have to rely on the Vox window. :-)

Re: Crossing active runways On my last flight, I heard an AI pilot say 'request cross runway 31 left' and then they received permission to cross an active runway.However when I tried this, I couldn't get the ATC to acknowledge my request. I just found this in the link you posted above, Starfoxx.I'll give it a go later tonight... I guess the right syntax must be '<your callsign>, request cross runway (eg two five right)'I only tried with the ATC callsign at the beginning, maybe that's why it didn't work. To CROSS a RUNWAY:Pilot BCS851, REQUEST CROSS RUNWAY 25RATC BCS851, CROSS RUNWAY 25R, REPORT VACATEDPilot REPORT VACATED, BCS851Pilot RUNWAY VACATED, BCS851 Thanks,Toby

As for point 3. To avoid this issue I don't declare 'Ready for departure' until I'm at the front of the queue.Vox seems to give you priority, so if you call early, it'll let you go.Ever noticed on final, if there isn't enough separation from the aircraft ahead of you, that as soon as you get landing clearance the AI in front will disappear preventing you from Going Around.Chris

I've had AI disappear in front of me on the ground while taxiing too, I don't know why that happens...

I've had AI disappear in front of me on the ground while taxiing too, I don't know why that happens...
This happened one time on a runway which we had to backtrack on, because there were no taxiways to get us to the other end, and it happened while crossing another runway. I heard the AI request "cross runway". It got permission, sat there for about a minute, and then vanished. I've also seen some odd taxi instructions given by ATC to go down a runway, when there was a perfectly good taxiway to use. Toby, on the Request Cross Runway: What has worked for me is stopping at the runway, pressing "0" to bring up the menu of commands, and selecting the Request Cross Runway option with the Runway Number. It'll tell me exactly what to say, and when I do it has always worked for me. The commands above look like what I remember from using the menu option. Hopefully, it's not dependent on actually pulling up the menu option first in order to get it to work.

Hopefully, it's not dependent on actually pulling up the menu option first in order to get it to work.
No it's not dependent on using the menu. Worked fine many times for me without.Tegwyn has said to me today that he is going to be looking at taxi route issues.Sometimes though, the issue can lie with the AFCAD and how it has been constructed.Chris

0 as in zero or O, letter O?When I press letter O to get the VoxATC menu to open, there has never been an option to request cross runway, that's why I wanted to know..

0 as in Zero. It will also give you some other options to choose from (most of the time) while you're in flight.

Thanks for your help, it works perfectly.. Just like the quoted text in post #4