Sign in to follow this  
spilok

A2A Warplanes. What do you think?

I see that the great aircraft developer, A2A, is ready to introduce the P-51 Mustang, followed by the Warhawk, followed by the Spitfire. I love having a few Military aircraft in my stable, but since this isn't a Combat Flight Simulator, I'm feeling "saturated" with having more warplanes in this FSX program. I love the A2A Piper and I fly it regularly. I always look forward to new GA aircraft, business jets, turbo-props, and commercial heavies.However, because these warcraft cannot function as they should (guns, bombs, and rockets), I probably will pass on A2A next 3 planes. Too bad, because they make such quality products from which FSX could really benefit. Give me a new KingAir 350, a Saab 340, various Fokker passenger planes, a Gulfstream (?), and SO MANY OTHERS, and I'll jump on them with my credit card. This is of course my personal feelings (IMHO), and certainly won't reflect what others feel, but I just thought I'd mention it. Stan

Do you own their marvellous Spitfire for example?I can tell you that I'm anything but a weapons guy in the sim and I therefore don't miss any weapons feature in FSX (although the CS addition would make it easy to attach some fun stuff), but I would truly miss the Spitfire as a plane. If one would have told me before that I will like such an old and somehow grumpy warbird in FSX, I would have called him nuts. But now, having bought her on the great user reports, I join in on the praises about the fun just flying and operating her, no weapons involved.I had some great VFR flying fun at Vatsim for example, mixing up all the Cessnas, Beechcrafts and Pipers with my bad flying bad also the character of the Spit. As a side note. The A2A videos are always done informative and very entertaining and it's a pleasure to follow the explanations.Also, as one of a few companies, I truly believe A2A when they speak about the rw experience going into their models and even more do I believe them to really take care about small details. With the latest and 'greatest' releases of some other devs in mind, this 'I believe them factor' sadly is an exception in the business, where 'tested by real pilots' does not necessarily mean that the input of those pilots was regarded in any way.Otherwise some bugs wouldn't be there, while some strange attitude is. Since A2A also shines on the service and after buy side, every new release of them is a no-brainer for me, although I may not like (or even know) the actual plane modelled on the first view.They also don't use any intrusive 'anti-piracy' things which mix up some customers systems as a side effect. A2A's niche (market) are the wartime planes, that's for sure. And as much as I would like to see some more current airliners being done in their style or some of the more modern GA planes, I can accept that they like to stay in that niche and fill it with big dedication.My very own dream, a A2A Accusim Comet. I'd rob a bank for this. blush.png For me, a very good example of a successful business model, taking customer wishes and complains into account and still staying genuine.

Yes. I have their Spitfire. It's phenomenal, although quite challenging to keep flying without some mechancical problem occurring. I get better and better at it, but I am still really challenged by it.I'd love to have a new Combat sim for these products, but I just enjoy FSX for more recreational flying and learning. Stan

If there was no function for old warplanes, you'd be able to buy a real airworthy Spitfire for peanuts, but whilst there are no hordes of ###### fighters it needs to battle anymore, of course you can't buy an airworthy Spitfire for less than about 1.5 million quid. Needless to say, there's a reason for that hefty price tag, it's because it does still have a function, that is to be one of the best-handling aeroplanes there is, not to mention a living monument to an historic time when people stood firm against an expansionist evil empire. Similarly, nobody needs a Flying Fortress to penetrate a murderous ring of 88mm steel around Berlin or Ploesti, or to fend off waves of Focke Wulf 190s flown by hugely experienced German aces, but you can still marvel at its aggressive beauty, or stand in awe of the bravery of its crews, and it too is a lovely aeroplane when it comes to handling, since it was designed to be forgiving to fly for long periods (being originally designed to fly solo anti-submarine patrols along the US coast), which does in fact make it great to fly in simulated form too, even though it is no aerobatic wonder as the Spitfire is. Navigating a B-17 over cloudy European skies, be it a real one or a simulated one, is as challenging a task now as it was back in the 1940s, and an enjoyable one too, similarly, if you have CS weapon, it is possible to dogfight with a Spitfire in FS against a friend via the internet, which is also challenging and educational too for any student of aerial warfare. Thus these things do have a purpose, and it's a worthy one too, for it serves to remind us that the old man you see struggling along the street was once a young man, and one who kept us all free. Try flying the A2A B-17 in formation (with a buddy over the internet) for several hours. That's an educational experience I can tell you. I did that with a friend, crossing the Atlantic in FSX, in formation all the way via Iceland, and it was a hell of a learning experience to do it, one which showed me many things that I simply could not have known from reading a book or watching a movie, and there's no way I could do it in real life either, so I'm grateful to A2A for presenting me with the opportunity to do it. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I kinda, agree with you. The A2A Cub is one of my all time favorites and love it! The P47 and B17 are also amazing aircraft, but whenever I fly them, I wish i was over WW2 europe and having flak shot at me. It feels strange flying them over present day scenery and airports, unless I want to pretend im in an airshow. I love A2A's flight modeling! it gives an amazing fluid feeling of flight, but wish they would produce more common everyday stuff. Rob

Guest jahman
...Give me a new KingAir 350, a Saab 340, various Fokker passenger planes, a Gulfstream (?), and SO MANY OTHERS, and I'll jump on them with my credit card....Stan
You seem to have missed that A2A are developpers of vintage aircraft, and you either get the vintage warbird thing or you don't (and it doesn't depend on being able to drop bombs, which in any case in A2A aircraft you can.) Cheers, - jahman.

A2A are very passionate about WWII Aircraft,If they didn't have a genuine love for these planes they wouldn't be half as good.I believe this is why they created the Accu-sim module to better model real systems in these aircraft that FSX simply cannot do. .

I share your concern about some of the old birds flying around modern scenery. Landing at KJFK with the Spit is somehow funny. A bad example, I know.As much as I'd like to see some old scenery stuff (which is present as freeware I guess), I really doubt that someone could get a market out of this, with FSX as the basis. My B-17 flew around Orbx NA and Tongass Fjords for quite a while and the Spit went around the UK or Germany. The B377 is doing Australian routes for me and the J3 does all the 'explore new addon airports' stuff since she's so darn slow.

I wish a2a would do a dc-3 with accusim. I don't have any of their current products, but I'd buy that! Still plenty of dc-3's in commercial service. Especially here in Canada.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

I wish a2a would do a dc-3 with accusim. I don't have any of their current products, but I'd buy that! Still plenty of dc-3's in commercial service. Especially here in Canada.
I already suggested that to them a few years ago, with a C-46 Curtiss Commando as an alternative I seem to recall. Al

Alan Bradbury

I already suggested that to them a few years ago, with a C-46 Curtiss Commando as an alternative I seem to recall. Al
You should get at them again. A C-46 would be great too. Even a dc-4

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Guest jahman
An accusimmed up DC-3 would be amazing
+1! So would a Lockheed Super Connie. See the Supper Connie taxi and take-off
(great engine sound!) and night take-off with flaming exhaust stacks
. Cheers, - jahman.

Guys I do not want to disappoint you, but have a look into the A2A forum, there's nearly every week a new "I'd like to see", "I wish A2A would make" thread.(Yes I started myself some of them in te last years rolleyes.gif )

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys I do not want to disappoint you, but have a look into the A2A forum, there's nearly every week a new "I'd like to see", "I wish A2A would make" thread.(Yes I started myself some of them in te last years rolleyes.gif )
True, but at the end of the day, A2A wants to sell stuff, and if lots of people make it known that they want to buy a DC-3 from them, then they'd know it was a viable choice to make one. Moreover, since there are plenty of Gooney birds still flying, it's a decent choice for a developer that wants to have access to the real thing in order to simulate the engines accurately. Not to mention the fact that it would please both camps, since a DC-3 is also a C-47, so it's a warbird and civilian aircraft at the same time. Al

Alan Bradbury