Sign in to follow this  
jakov

Dealing with ATC

Honestly, RC4 is ok as ATC vectoring but personally I don't like that robotized voice.. I don't remember if RC4 is using more ressources or has an impact on FS performance.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5

Honestly, RC4 is ok as ATC vectoring but personally I don't like that robotized voice.. I don't remember if RC4 is using more ressources or has an impact on FS performance.
Well, RC5 is in the works. RC4.3 is the best option until then, apart from online flying.Trevor Moore

Well, RC5 is in the works. RC4.3 is the best option until then, apart from online flying. Trevor Moore
I use RC every time I want to fly a plan and have ATC the whole way. Vatsim is ok when ATC is actualy available.

...Vatsim is ok when ATC is actualy available.
Exactly. IF you decided right now that you want to fly from Pulkovo (ULLI), where only ground is available, to Dallas Fort Worth (KDFW), where only tower is available, Vatsim is great. (At least now. If you want Pulkovo later tonight, no guarantees. LOL.gif ) Trevor Moore

I use FSBuild. It will create a route in both PMDG and FSX formats at the same time. After aircraft selection, I will load the flighplan into FSX. I then will load the flightplan into the CDU (using company route LSK) or enter manually if not too long. FSX ATC will then allow you to fly the plan as entered except near the destination where it will insist on giving you vectors. FSX ATC will of course override any altitude restrictions in the SID or STAR but I guess this happens in real life too.

I use FSBuild. It will create a route in both PMDG and FSX formats at the same time. After aircraft selection, I will load the flighplan into FSX. I then will load the flightplan into the CDU (using company route LSK) or enter manually if not too long. FSX ATC will then allow you to fly the plan as entered except near the destination where it will insist on giving you vectors. FSX ATC will of course override any altitude restrictions in the SID or STAR but I guess this happens in real life too.
FSX is not "overriding" any altitude restrictions. All it sees is your flight plan in the plan view (i.e., lateral point to point), together with your cruise altitude. It assigns vectors as you approach the destination in order to place you on an approximately 30 degree offset to the runway track for the assigned runway. This is regardless, as you said, of any SID you have programmed. To see the stupidity of the programming in action, use default FSX ATC on a flight to RWY08 at Innsbruck (LOWI). It's doable (FSX won't fly you into a mountain like FS2004 would), but be prepared to descend like a falling rock. Your passengers will not be pleased.Trevor Moore

I was in the same boat (plane) as the origonal poster with regards to ATC. I purchased Radar Contact and have flown online in VATSIM. Radar Contact is quite good and i have it setup nicely now. Sometimes i'm to drunk and miss some calls but it seems like it was designed for dumb people and drunk people because it gives you the option to just go to any way-point within your flight plan.

I was in the same boat (plane) as the origonal poster with regards to ATC. I purchased Radar Contact and have flown online in VATSIM. Radar Contact is quite good and i have it setup nicely now. Sometimes i'm to drunk and miss some calls but it seems like it was designed for dumb people and drunk people because it gives you the option to just go to any way-point within your flight plan.
LMAO.gif

FSX is not "overriding" any altitude restrictions. All it sees is your flight plan in the plan view (i.e., lateral point to point), together with your cruise altitude. It assigns vectors as you approach the destination in order to place you on an approximately 30 degree offset to the runway track for the assigned runway. This is regardless, as you said, of any SID you have programmed. To see the stupidity of the programming in action, use default FSX ATC on a flight to RWY08 at Innsbruck (LOWI). It's doable (FSX won't fly you into a mountain like FS2004 would), but be prepared to descend like a falling rock. Your passengers will not be pleased. Trevor Moore
Overriding, "not seeing", ignoring - whatever you want to call the limited functionality of the FSX ATC system is irrelevant. The original poster was asking how to best fit the NGX into the FSX ATC system and I offered my way of doing so. No more ATC directed turns to get back on course.

My 737 may be a simulation, but my alcohol is real!

This is what I do - perhaps this may help, since I manage to fly SIDs and STARs with little problem: 1) Find a flight I want to emulate (Flight Status page at Continental.com, for example) - usually gives pax load, departure and arrival gates, etc - I simulate all that as well) 2) I get the flight plan off FlightAware.com - block and copy to the Windows clipboard (CNTL-C) 3) I open simroutes.com and paste the flight plan into the route dialog box; note the alititude - you'll need that later 4) Fill in the departure and arrival airports, slect the SID/STAR with appropriate transition, and trim the route that you pasted so that it begins and ends on the transitions defined in the SID and STAR respectively. 5) Save the route as both a PMDG rte file and an FSX pln file. Open the pln file and be sure the altitude is depicted in there (or you can add it in the flight plan editor once inside FSX) 6) When you open the FCU, go to the ROUTE page and add the route that you just uploaded from simroutes (eg. KEWRKIAH). All the legs will be there, but go to the DEP/ARR page and select the SID and runway (obtained from ATIS). It may duplicate some legs already downloaded from simroutes with a discontinuity, so you'll need to modify accordingly (easy to do if you don't get how - I'll explain it if you need me to). 7) Now you have an essential agreement between the way the FMC wants you to fly the plane and the way FSX's ATC wants you to fly. There may be some early vectors, etc, but it's very flyable. IF you want to fly the SID with original altitude restrictions, etc and don't want FSX ATC pestering you until you transition to the cruise section of flight,that's easy! When tower hands you off to Departure on climb out, say OK, tune departure but don't check in with them. You can maintain that state of limbo indefinitely and you won't lose your IFR clearance.

Signature.jpg