Sign in to follow this  
VirginAus737

Anyone else been having trouble with driver 280

Hello, Well my performance is just fine with the drivers but they keep seem to be failing at some aspects. For instance my DirectX 10 preview in FSX keeps disappearing. When I re-install the drivers it comes back but after a few restarts or something it disappeared again. I also had trouble with X Plane cos OpenGL stopped working. A re install helps but is not a permanent fix. Thanks,

I had 280.26 installed for 10 days and everything was fine and then one time just when FSX was at the 100% load point I got a BSOD. I never had anything like this until after I installed 280.26. After that I did a clean install with 270.61 and have had no issues. If you read through the 280.26 support thread on guru3d.com and other sites there are a lot of people that have had BSOD's, black screens and driver stopped responding errors. Most people reverted back to an earlier version. There is a 285.27 beta that was released a couple of days ago if you want to try it. As usual with GPU drivers it seems to work great for some, no change for some and does not work for others. You will just have to try it and see.http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---NVIDIA-GeForce--Vista-%7C-7_c32.html

Guest firehawk44

The BSOD's people get when installing new video card drivers are caused by the user. They did not uninstall the old drivers properly and they did not install the new drivers properly. BSOD's and "driver not responding" errors come from improper overclocking or overheating, either from the video card or from the MB. This happened to me when I tried to overclock my 580 so I have first hand experience. When I removed my bad try at overclocking, the BSOD's and error messages stopped. My card came factory overclocked so I'm not messing with it anymore. I realize this is not the total solution for everyone but I'm just trying to convey the fact BSOD's and error messages are NOT caused by new drivers from ATI or Nvidia. You will always see massive problems with video card drivers on the Nvidia or ATI forums (and forums such as this one where they just talk about the display drivers and the hardware). There are millions of users and people not familiar with computers or video cards or other hardware have no where else to go but to the developer of the cards or to forums such as this one. That's why Nvidia and ATI host their forums so other expert users can provide advice to others who are having issues. You should not stop upgrading your drivers just because many others on these forums are having issues with a particular driver. Each driver upgrade provides better performance and sometimes a newer interface (Control Panel) making it easier to set up your video card. Technology is moving forward with greater improvements in the software and hardware. If you are not familiar with computer systems or how to install a program, then you should stay with what came with the computer and maybe hire a computer expert to upgrade your system. You might also want to check out one of my favorite system guides regarding graphic cards - http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html . The guide is updated almost monthly. It will answer most of your questions regarding graphics cards and how they work and what the settings in the card mean. I mentioned this site several years ago here but we have had a lot of newcomers to AVSIM since then. Best regards,Jim

Jim, as it relates to Nvidia drivers what you just stated is not at all true for most cases. While it maybe true for some it certainly is not the case for all. In my case I had zero problems and then installed 280.26 on an unclocked card, 10 days later got a BSOD, installed 270.61 and have zero problems. Both times I did a clean install of the drivers. You can go read the threads and most people who upgrade Nvidia drivers do a clean install and have problems then downgrade to a previous version and do nothing but a clean install of the other drvier and that is all, they do not remove any OC on their GPU or CPU. It is well know in hardware forums that drivers work for some and cause problems for others. The only way to know how any driver will respond to your system is to install it and see.

Guest firehawk44
Jim, as it relates to Nvidia drivers what you just stated is not at all true for most cases. While it maybe true for some it certainly is not the case for all. In my case I had zero problems and then installed 280.26 on an unclocked card, 10 days later got a BSOD, installed 270.61 and have zero problems. Both times I did a clean install of the drivers. You can go read the threads and most people who upgrade Nvidia drivers do a clean install and have problems then downgrade to a previous version and do nothing but a clean install of the other drvier and that is all, they do not remove any OC on their GPU or CPU. It is well know in hardware forums that drivers work for some and cause problems for others. The only way to know how any driver will respond to your system is to install it and see.
I disagree. Like I said, you have thousands of people, including people visiting these forums, installing or upgrading their drivers every day. The law of averages is that many will have bad installs for various reasons. When they post their issues, everyone starts thinking there's something wrong with the drivers and maybe they'll see a loss of performance while flying over Iceland in the PMDG 737 and think the people are right and go back to the old drivers. It's the wrong thing to do. How do you know for sure the video card drivers caused your crash(es)? It could have been another system malfunction, like memory and overclocking configurations and, when you uninstalled the new drivers and installed the old drivers, you shutdown and restarted your system several times and that alone might have fixed an issue. With Windows 7 (and Vista) you have a lot of security built into the operating system and I have seen a lot of bad installs just because of that. When you uninstall display drivers, you should not go into the add/remove programs folder and uninstall or let the new driver software uninstall the old drivers first, then reinstall the new ones. There are several NV drivers in the System 32 folder that need to be removed and replaced with new drivers. Sometimes your system or anti-virus software will not allow those files to be removed or replaced and that could create a problem. System security and anti-virus programs do not like anything messing with the system registry too and may not make a required change. The best way to uninstall your display drivers is through the Device Manager and the Display Adapter driver tab. When you click 'uninstall the drivers', you'll get an opportunity to check a box that states something like, do you want to remove the driver software from your system. These are the drivers in your System 32 folder. You should click this box and continue with the uninstall. Once uninstalled, restart your system and install the new drivers. Works great every time. I'm sorry to hear you are having problems installing newer drivers on your system. The latest and greatest include performance improvements which you should take advantage of plus bug fixes. FSX is never listed as one of the software programs improved but you can bet it does contain improvements. It improves benchmark software by 10% on every upgrade. In the future, if you ever get a crash after installing newer drivers, try reinstalling the drivers and make sure UAC and any anti-virus program is disabled (I know you probably do disable these programs as I have seen some of your other posts and you seem to be very computer literate. Just had to mention it though in case someone else reads this). Reinstalling the drivers has fixed display driver problems for many. Best regards,Jim

You are have your opinion, I have mine and I completely disagree with you. The bottom line is from what you are saying no matter what driver you install you will have problems. Well after installing a new drivers and having problems since all people do is install another driver, usually that means reinstalling the previous one they were using, their problems go away, then the problem was the new driver they installed, for some reason it did not like their machine, but it had nothing to do with a bad overclock, antivirus or anything else it was some interacting between the new driver and their machine. I have zero stability problems with this PC or my last one. After I would install new GPU drivers at least every other Nvidia driver I installed gave me problems, I reverted back to the old one and the problems went away so it is something with the driver installed, not anything to do with anything else on the PC. This is the same story with the majority of people I see post that have problems with installing new drivers.