Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

transparancy, shadows etc.

Hi, FS9First, i'm not an artworker.But i like to learn to make shadows, highlights and transparancy rings in my "steam" gauges.Like in the compass of the default DC3.I did a lot of research but the results are crap.I have the latest DXTBMP and Paintshop Pro 7.0 (and mspaint for W7)Are there somewhere tutorials or can anybody tell me "how to in simple words"? Jan

Hello Jan, Just in case you ever do become an artworker ... you familiar with Gimp? It's free. Maybe DXTBMP and Paintshop Pro will ultimately not do all that you want and you will need more horsepower. Steep learning curve. Bob

Thanks, I have all that stuff.Only not able to use it properly despite the help functions.My fault.Thought i could enlarge or edit existing ones.Left gimp and xara in favour of psp and dxtbmp many years ago.I thought there were only a few steps necessary to make a ring of shadow around e.g. a stby att indicator (767)(Use only fotoreal panels, but they grew from 800 to 1260 in the years with obvious loss of quality.....) Jan

Hi Jan, "I thought there were only a few steps necessary to make a ring of shadow around e.g. a stby att indicator (767)" it is indeed easy do do and needs just a few steps. You just need to know how to do it. No way around to train your selfe over and over again tounderstand and work with your graphic tool. Try to make a screw with the shadows and light effects, or a gauge box etc.. To do the art work takes in many cases much more time as the coding of a gauge by using XML So, good cooking takes always time ! BestDietmar

Hi, Thanks to Edward Cox (Edetroit) i was able to make the first shadows with MSPaint, PSP7 and Imagetool. Jan