Sign in to follow this  
winged532

Panel Freezes Gone after doing this!

Ryan, I've read what you've posted so far, and I absolutely disagree. I'm not disagreeing with the logic, I'm disagreeing that custom liveries play no part in the freezes. When I first bought the NGX, I flew the Delta -800WL.I got a freeze 1 out of every 3 flights, and ALWAYS right after exiting the runway at my destination. After hearing feedback, I switched to the house livery and I never had a single freeze since I made that switch. I've flown maybe 15-20 flights since I switched to the house livery. Not in any of those did I get a freeze. Tonight, I downloaded and installed a custom Delta livery also for the -800WL.As soon as I landed at my destination, and taxied off the runway, *BAM*...panel freeze. In my opinion there is absolutely no way it's a coincidence.

Ricky76, try this: Just move some of your addon aircraft folders into the another folder in your SimObjects folder. For example, your PMDG747 folder into the "Animals" folder, so it doesnt load when you start up the sim.Then try to fly around KSEA and see if it helps. You are just freeing up some memory space for FSX to use by doing this. If it doesn't help, just move the folder back to the Aircraft folder, No Foul, No harm.Mike Illian
Hi Mike, Thanks for the tip! I have tried all (to date) fixes for this issue. I have even gone so far as to remove and re-install FSX+acceleration and try a flight with the default aircraft, IE C172, B737 and even the Trike! Even with absolutely no addons installed, I get a CTD within 15 NM of KSEA. All my flights south from CYVR have to be done VIA the TATOOSH VOR down the west coast of Oregon and California to arrive at KSFO. Even using FS9, I experience this exact issue. Instead of making MS Flight, maybe they sould have just revamped FSX and made it more stable, added multi core support and de bugged it. huh.png

Ricky76, try this: Just move some of your addon aircraft folders into the another folder in your SimObjects folder. For example, your PMDG747 folder into the "Animals" folder, so it doesnt load when you start up the sim.Then try to fly around KSEA and see if it helps. You are just freeing up some memory space for FSX to use by doing this. If it doesn't help, just move the folder back to the Aircraft folder, No Foul, No harm.Mike Illian
And you'll also be able to see the might Boeing 747 grazing the wild pastures... This mighty animal likes to gather around in medium sized group, for protection. Come mating season, you will see the big male 748 flaunting their 4 engines and massive tail to impress the much smaller 747SP females. Unfortunately, today's ever increasing fuel prices might one day bring this mighty beast to extinction. You can help them by donating $1 to the "save the 747 Jumbo" Wildlife Sanctuary. Or you could buy one today and take care of it in your back yard. All you need is 10 hectares of land and at least 10.000ft of runway so that this majestic beast can run wild, and you can adopt your for just $300 million today.

Cristi Neagu

Ryan, I've read what you've posted so far, and I absolutely disagree. I'm not disagreeing with the logic, I'm disagreeing that custom liveries play no part in the freezes. When I first bought the NGX, I flew the Delta -800WL.I got a freeze 1 out of every 3 flights, and ALWAYS right after exiting the runway at my destination. After hearing feedback, I switched to the house livery and I never had a single freeze since I made that switch. I've flown maybe 15-20 flights since I switched to the house livery. Not in any of those did I get a freeze. Tonight, I downloaded and installed a custom Delta livery also for the -800WL.As soon as I landed at my destination, and taxied off the runway, *BAM*...panel freeze. In my opinion there is absolutely no way it's a coincidence.
Curious... Is there any difference in the way you load the Delta skin, vs thePMDG? IE: when you run the Delta, do you load the PMDG, and then the Delta,or do you load the Delta first thing?I've never had a problem using the other liveries, but I always only choose oneversion no matter which one I choose. IE: my start up flight is the Lear 45,and when I run the 737 NGX I only choose the one I use. I never choose thePMDG version, and then switch to other livery.I'm wondering if maybe you might be loading the Delta in a slightly differentmanner than the PMDG? Say as in using a PMDG paint as the startupflight, and then switching to the Delta?I realize the results tend to back up what you say, but I'm still with Ryanas far as thinking there is no logical explanation for this. The texturesare all the same size. There should be no difference at all, with maybethe slight exception of possibly a change of equipment that might usemore memory. And even that would seem unlikely being as I've tried allthe various versions of equipment and never have had a problem.IE: different MCP, different standby instruments, etc..Anyway, this is very weird.. I've flown several different liveries andnever had a problem with any of them. I fly the Southwest versionmost of the time. But also have the Continental, United, Delta, andAmerican.. Never a problem with any of them.As a test, I would make sure to load each one in exactly the samemanner.And the best way to do that is use a startup flight with a default FSXplane, and then choose only one version of 737 NGX for each flight.Never "double dip" the loading by loading the house paint, and thenswitching to the Delta. Even that should not be a real problem, butit possibly could cause more memory to be used by the time you getthe 2nd one loaded. Just a theory anyway..

If you believe that certain liveries are prone to CTD then maybe it's the ini file. Perhaps it's a combination of one or more of the variables that trigger the CTD at a certain point. Note that all of the House liveries do not have an ini file.

I think that would make more sense than the textures themselves. But.. I think all the inifile does is select the equipment that usually matches what that company uses.Seems if that had a code bug, I would have seen it on mine by now.But, renaming the file, or moving it out of that folder would be a quick way to test.You would just have to manually set the equipment to match that company if youwanted everything to be the same.My theory was maybe they are loading the new paint, after first loading the PMDGpaint, which might possibly use more memory if it had to load twice as many texturesin a short period of time.I don't know how long it would take to flush the initial files from the memory.That's why I say to load a stock plane as the startup flight, and then load thepainted 737 NGX without loading the PMDG version. That would eliminate thatas a possible issue. But, trying it without the ini file might be worth a check too if that doesn't pan out.Myself, I've never had any trouble with one using an ini file, and the Southwestplane I fly most of the time uses one. I do use my own custom panel state though.. Also, I'm usually flying the Southwest plane, but I don't use the EFIS classic type setupmuch like many in the real world do.I prefer the PFD style display.. To me, it's less cluttered and easier to see everythingat a glance. :/Most utoob vids show the EFIS "classic" style display..But... I have seen one video of a Southwest plane that was using the PFD style.This led me to wonder if the Southwest pilots get to choose which they prefer.. ?Anyway, I use the PFD version, but I use the older backup instruments, as mostall of those seem to use. I've been using the Collins MCP.

I'm pretty certain PMDG mentioned somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to load an NGX and then swap paints from anywhere but at the main menu when first loading the sim, probably exactly for this reason or for proper initialisation or something like that.

Cheers, Andy.

... The idea that using the House livery doesn't make sense either - it's no different from any of the other liveries aside from what's actually painted on it. The House livery is actually larger than many of the airline ones even.
Actually, it does, as some liveries comes with certain company options preconfigured, I believe at least the American and the Delta livery comes with accurate company options preconfigured.

That is correct. They say that if you want to swap paints, first swap to a different model, then swap back to the model you want, with the paint you want.

Flight #1 with Modified Aircraft folder: Memory Usage 1,377,377 Peak Memory Usage 1,414,932 Flight #2 with non-modified Aircraft folder: Memory Usage 1,423,122 Peak Memory Usage 1,476,312It stayed similar to this during both flight, altering slightly. The interesting thing that I discovered, however, was when I minimized FSX to the task bar to access my desktop, during flight # 1. When I returned FSX to full screen, my Memory Usage had dropped to 677,000! It stayed around that level until I closed FSX. I then proceeded to start Flight # 2. Upon minimizing FSX to the task bar, and then returning FSX to full screen, my Memory usage also dropped, this time to 587,000. It also stayed around this level until I closed FSX.
Interesting. Just sat at Uk2000 EGCC, at night in the 737ngx i was at 2.2Gb memory use. Even when i ended the flight and went back to the main menu it only dropped to 1.8Gb. Minimising the sim had effect at all.

Ian R Tyldesley