Sign in to follow this  
Rusty10

MCP Panel

Hi everyone I was after a bit of advice if possible please? I currently have the Saitek Radio Panel which works seemlessly with the NGX and the Saitek Multi Panel of which only the flap buttons seems to work? I was thinking of selling both these and investing in a decent MCP panel, from limited research I have narrowed it down to either: Goglight MCP http://www.goflightinc.com/store/mcp-pro-p-80.html Or Vrinsights Combo Panel http://www.flightsto...combo-panel.asp Has anyone any experience with either of these and the NGX and which one would be best for me to consider? Thanks to any replies :)

Russ Bailey

EGJB

The developer of Linda has had moderate success with the mcp you mentioned using fsuipc. He's waiting on the sdk to achieve full function.Do a search for goflight & Linda, it was a recent topic which should cover what functions & what doesn't at the moment.Edit:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/345151-goflight-efis-and-mcp-pro-partial-interface/

Hi, Russ!

The developer of Linda has had moderate success with the mcp you mentioned using fsuipc. He's waiting on the sdk to achieve full function.
I'm afraid I know nothing of GoFlight, but where VRinsight and LINDA are concerned I'm thinking that MrKen seems perhaps a little behind the times? happy.png I should probably mention at this point that I have no commercial interest in, or association with VRinsight — and LINDA is of course donationware. The developers of LINDA (in fact there are two — Günter Steiner and Artem Crum) have already had considerable success (IMHO) with synchronising the VRinsight MCP Combo (so-called because as well as the MCP it has EFIS and comms/user functions) with the NGX: in fact one of the relatively few things they await from the SDK is the ability to sync the displays with the sim. (There are LINDA modules enabling a number of popular aircraft to use the MCP Combo I, and increasingly the Combo II. As well as the NGX those aircraft include the PMDG J41, MD-11, and 747X, among others, but since this is the NGX forum I assume that is your immediate interest). Furthermore, both developers are currently working with the MCP Combo II (the Boeing version) — and the NGX/LINDA module for the Combo II is already available on beta test. (Incidentally, if you are looking at the VRinsight offering, be sure that ideally you are looking at the Boeing version of the Combo II, since the Combo I is also still on sale, and both versions are superficially similar to look at. Since the link you provided was to the Combo I, I've given you another for the Combo II, below). Not only that, but since LINDA is based on Lua modules, you can always modify what is available to suit your own requirements, or even add completely new functions, since LINDA also embodies the means to sniff out the relevant addresses if you want to add code for something not already incorporated. Another virtue of LINDA is the possibility to use the different parts of the Combo in up to three different modes, thus tripling the control functionality you can use. A recent licensed copy of FSUIPC is needed (for the fsx interface to the Lua functions), but a serious simmer will have that already, presumably. Here's a link to a UK source of the Combo II (Boeing) — although, living where you do, I guess you may have other options: wink.pnghttp://www.flightsto...sp/Brands/VRI01 And here's a link to the LINDA forum: http://forum.avsim.n...orum/424-linda/ If I may suggest, start with "Welcome to LINDA", and take a look at "First impressions of LINDA", before moving on to the various downloads. You'll have a fair bit of reading to do, but it's worth it, and well worth a contribution to the developers for their brilliant efforts. biggrin.png Finally, here's a pic of a Combo I in action in my 'pit with the NGX: captmcptiny.jpg Cheers, Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Hi everyone and thank you for your help, @ Brian747 are you using the MCP I successfully with the NGX as this seems a lot cheaper than the MCP II?

Russ Bailey

EGJB

Hi Russ! Yes, I am indeed (see pic). happy.png As I mentioned, both the LINDA developers are now working with the Combo II in order to ensure future compatibility (although LINDA is currently, and will hopefully always be, compatible with both versions). The best information I can give you about the changes introduced with the Combo II comes from one of the threads on the LINDA forum, in which Artem replied to a request for a brief review of the new Combo II by saying this: Short review Good news:

• We can now FULLY control BOTH of displays! Each line, each char, anything we want! This is the greatest improvement of all.
  • No more hardcoded actions for MCP rotaries (SPD/HDG/ALT values will be changing only if we want them to, so i.e. in MCP mode 2 we can totally change the display's behavior and it's contents)
  • CTR/TFC knobs now have fast rotation mode
  • Quite a bit better design and construction

Bad news:

• New rotaries are flimsy and do a lot of noise while turning
  • Buttons highlighting is not so nice (too bright even in daylight) -- have found a DIY fix for that
  • And the design of whole unit is still ugly (many small yet not critical issues)
  • No, we cannot control the lights

Tech part:

• Mostly the same logic with minor differences. The hardware part is now simplified and all logic is now left on software driver. This leads to more complex driver's code, but from the other point this means a much more flexibility.

Conclusion:

• Better than MCP1 and the best desktop cockpit solution on the market (IMHO)
  • ...but not sure if it worth it to replace MCP1 if you have one (only if you could sell it at a good price)

-------- BTW, LINDA already works fine with MCP2, and NGX module already makes use of the new MCP2 features...Have to do some work with LINDA GUI though. May I draw your attention in particular to the end of the review, in which Artem says "....but not sure if it worth it to replace MCP1 if you have one (only if you could sell it at a good price)". If you're not in a hurry, this might mean that there's a chance you may find that there are a few Combo I units on the market from people who absolutely have to have the latest version — but TBH, I am perfectly happy with the Combo I. And if other owners feel as I do, of course, then perhaps there won't be many Combo Is coming onto the market after all..... wink.png It seems from Artem's comments that the Combo II does allow him better access to the displays, but I suspect that's the most significant difference between the two versions (unless something unexpected emerges as a result of the current efforts to support both versions with LINDA). There are other minor differences, but you will have to decide for yourself whether you feel they are worth the difference in price. I would guess that the Combo I might eventually cease to be available if everyone buys the II in future, but we'll have to wait and see whether VRinsight wishes to continue to supply both versions. (Note that there is also a version of the Combo II aimed at Airbus drivers, as well as the Boeing version: will they continue to supply three versions?). Artem also says: "LINDA already works fine with MCP2, and NGX module already makes use of the new MCP2 features...". Good news, although as far as I am concerned it works extremely well with the Combo I. It may also be that, when the long-awaited SDK is finally made available by PMDG, a LINDA work-around is produced to put some synchronised output onto the displays — although the Combo II might be more flexible in that regard. And TBH I find it perfectly natural to watch the NGX's MCP windows when I'm turning the knobs on the Combo, anyway, so I'm not too fussed about having the information on the Combo displays as well. If it would help you to see a copy of a document that I have made for my own use detailing the exact NGX functions available using the controls in each of the three modes with the Combo I, please PM me. But I suspect this has probably reached the point where your enquiries could be more appropriately dealt with on the LINDA forum (URL given in my previous post), or else at the VRinsight forum — http://vrinsight.com...wforum.php?f=13 smile.png Cheers, Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Hi Brian, I am a little confused as to which MCP's you are calling I and II. I see you have the Aerosoft AU 747 MCP also. I also have the Aerosoft MCP and am interested in whether you have been able to get it working with the PMDG 737 NGX. I have mine working with the PMDG 747-400 but have no clue as to how to get it to work with the 737. I use the FltSimLabs driver for the 747 but so far they are not planning on developing a driver for the 737. Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated, Tom Hibben